Way Down We Go

A/N Trigger warning -if you cannot stand blood then stop reading when you see ~warning~

"You start at the academy tomorrow. Have you been to the other realm yet today?" My father stared down at me from his place at the head of the table. I nodded my head and cringed at the sighs from either end of the table. I knew I was a disappointment, they didn't have to bring it up at every meal. My sisters stared at me from across the table with sympathy. They both had the glowing symbols of their chosen on their hands.

"Any luck dear?" My mom asked kindly. I couldn't speak. i couldn't say the words. I just shook my head no. I was a failure because I did not have a chosen. I went to the other realm every day searching for the one who would be mine. None of the demons I encountered there would accept me. I had tried lower level demons, bowing to them and asking nicely, demanding them to become my chosen, but they had all just refused. I wasn't frustrated, I was actually just getting desperate.

They were sending me to one of the oldest and most prestigious schools for sorcery and necromancy. The students learned to harness the powers of the spirits and demons they called. It was assumed from my infancy that I would attend and my name had been down this whole time with the expectation that I would be a summoner. My father, grandfathers and their grandfathers had all been summoners, so they did not plan on what would happen to me if I was not.

So they planned to send me anyways. Without a demon or a hope in hell of surviving the school. I tried to put a brave face on it, but even my sisters had tears in their eyes when they said goodbye. I was dropped unceremoniously outside the school by the driver. I watched other families cheerfully bringing in their sons' and daughters' luggage with smiles and proud looks. I grabbed my one suitcase and made my way up the grand staircase alone.

I found the place cheerier than my home, even with all the marble and statues. At least I didn't have sighing family staring at me in the halls. On the outside I looked like everyone else. I went to my room and put my things into the lone dresser. I was a little in shock that my parents had paid so much money to get me a single, but then they knew I would be spending most of my spare time in the other realm and probably wanted a safe launch point for me.

I wasted no time in drawing my portal on the wall opposite my bed. I carefully inscribed the sigils from memory. I had done this so many times, it was no wonder that the other realm felt more like home than this place. The ritual done, I watched the outline shimmer and shake. When the entire surface looked like water, I stepped through. This time I was in a forest of dead trees.

I looked about me for any sign of life, but nothing stirred. I walked along, the crunch of dirt sounding repetitive to my ears. I finally saw a small demon, child like in a way, trying to climb a tree. I wandered in its direction. It was reaching for a small black bird. The bird startled at my approach and flew to the next tree. The demon turned and growled at me. I smiled and bowed.

"Aren't you a little old to be looking for a chosen?" It growled at me in a deceptively deep voice. I looked up in surprise.

"Ah, yes I suppose." I admitted. It shook its head at me.

"Nope. Too wishy washy. That's your trouble. Don't want you. I'm looking for someone else. Someone who can get me that bird." It pointed to the next tree over and then wandered in that direction. I was not really disappointed. I didn't like climbing trees. I wandered further, finding a small red stream. I looked back and forth along the stream but it was barren.

I heard a chiming sound and I turned my head to listen. It was my alarm. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, drawing symbols in the air in front of me. My body felt hot and then a shock of cold as I stepped forward. I opened my eyes and I was back in my room. I looked at the clock and only a few seconds had passed. It felt so much longer on the other side. I sighed and flopped on my bed. This was going to suck ball-sack.