1: An unusual mission

"(y/f/n)." I heard a voice in my ear and groaned. I had forgotten to take my ear piece out before i went to sleep again. I rolled over and pulled the com piece out of my ear and set it on the nightstand next to my phone. As soon as the piece touched the wooden surface, my phone went off. It startled me and I fell off the bed, dragging the blankets down with me and effectively trapping myself in a downy prison.

"Shit shit shit." I muttered as my phone continued blasting the ringtone i had set for Tony. Back in Black, AC/DC. I finally managed to reach my arm out and grab my phone, bringing it into the blankets with me as i continued trying to free myself. I saw his contact photo taking up the screen, and accepted the call.

"What is it Stark?" I snapped. I freed myself from the prison, and looked at the clock. it was two in the morning, and I was exhausted. Exhausted me plus Tony's sass doesn't equal happy rainbow sunshine, it usually leads to me vowing to kill Tony the next time i see him.

"Hey sorry (y/f/n), were you asleep?" He asked, his voice dripping with sarcasm. I growled and heard Tony chuckle. I began fixing my blankets.

"Yes Tony i was. now what do you want?" I snapped, and heard him whispering angrily to someone.

"Steve no, Steve you ca-Hey!" Tony yelled, and I yanked the phone away from my ear as it began ringing from the sudden volume. I heard Steve's voice, and smiled. Steve had to be my favorite of the Avengers, for the main reason that he was a gentleman.

"Sorry to wake you (y/f/n), but we needed some help looking out for a target, and you're the best scout we know." Steve said. I nodded as I gave up on the blankets, grabbed my pillow, and made my way down the hall to the kitchen, intending to sleep on the couch.

"It's alright Steve i was gonna wake up soon anyway. So what about this target?" I asked as i paused at the closet to grab out a blanket. The first one i grabbed was one my Aunt had given to me for Christmas when I was fourteen. It was a blanket with my favorite characters from my favorite TV show on it. It was large and warm, and perfect for sleeping on the couch. Steve continued talking.

"Well, you'll know him when you see him. He isn't that hard to miss. Yeah can't miss this guy, the freaki-" Tony's voice faded out in the background as he walked away from Steve, still ranting. I smirked.

"Ok, can i get a description of what he looks like?" I asked as i grabbed a glass of water from the kitchen. I heard Steve muttering something under his breath, and then heard a clap of thunder and Thor's booming voice in the background.

"Sir America!" Thor boomed. I chuckled, and told Steve goodbye. He mumbled a quick goodbye before I ended the call, and turned to the living room, slowly shuffling towards the couch.

"You'll know him when you see him" "You cant miss this guy" What did that mean? I yawned as I blinked and went to toss my pillow on the couch when I noticed the door was unlocked. It wasn't something large and glaring, but i could have sworn I locked it before i went to sleep yesterday. I slowly scanned the room until my eyes landed on the couch. Well, less the couch and more what was on the couch.

The figure groaned and rolled over, and I froze as i saw the light from the moon outside glinting off of something metal. The light revealed the glimmering silver, with a red star in the center of the metal. I gasped as i realized who this was. The Winter Soldier.

*****

"Holllyyyy Shit." I whispered as i debated on what to do. If he was startled he would probably attack, so waking him up was out of the question, I couldn't risk calling Steve back in the living room, and my legs refused to move correctly. The soldier suddenly lashed his arm out and i heard the metal scraping quietly and gears clicking as he shot his arm out with an amount of force that would have obliterated anything in it's way.

My brain was screaming at me to get out, to run, to get away from him. But it was as if another part of my brain was curious about this "Ghost Story" As Natasha had once called him, and canceled out the worried part of my brain. all i felt was calm. I gently set the cup of water down on the table and winced as it bumped against my keys, making a sharp sound. Winter stirred, and rolled over so he was facing the back of the couch.

I stepped closer to him, and thought over what I should do. I knew about the events that had happened in D.C., but not details. I had heard that Winter here had been Hydra's deadliest weapon, but i didn't know the full extent of what he was capable of. He took a deep breath and rolled onto his back.

Jeez he moves a lot when he sleeps. I thought. but the way hy was lying allowed the moonlight to shine on his face so i could see what he looked like.

He was handsome, with shoulder length brown hair, a square jawline, and stubble that covered his chin. I stepped a tad closer and almost jumped out of my skin when he, what the hell noise did he just make, was that a hiss? He hissed in his sleep, and his eyes snapped open. They were a stormy gray blue with flecks of green and gold. He sat bolt upright and i jumped back as he shouted something in what i assumed was Russian. He stood off the couch, stalked over to me, and looked down at me. I felt my blood run cold.

"Who are you?" He asked, his voice rough from sleep. I felt a momentary flash of anger. Who did he think he was, walking into my house, sleeping on my couch, then having the audacity to try to intimidate me. I scowled at him and he looked shocked for a moment.

"You don't get to ask questions, seeing as you're an intruder in my house." I snapped, jabbing a finger into his chest. I resisted the urge to grimace as my finger hit rock hard muscles and i probably jammed it. He stepped back shocked, and stumbled and fell onto the couch.

"So, Winter, I get to ask the questions and you get to answer them for me. And you will comply or else i will call and get every avenger down here on your ass faster than you can jump out the window do you understand?" I said sharply. the moment of bravery and anger was gone, but i had found out how to keep him in check. He nodded quickly, and i slumped down on the other couch.

"Ok. First off, why are you even here?" I asked. He tilted his head slightly, then looked back up at me from where he sat on the couch.

"I, I needed a place to stay." He muttered. I barely caught his words. Why would the Winter Soldier need a place to stay? I shrugged mentally.

"Ok, your turn." I said, and he looked up at me surprised. I guess he wasn't used to getting a turn.

"Huh?" He asked, surprise shifting to confusion. I sighed, and gestured to the couch next to him.

"May I sit?" I asked. Yes it was my own house, and with Tony or Steve or even Thor i would've lain across the couch and their lap just to be annoying, but I didn't want to risk it with Winter. He nodded regardless, and i sat down on the other side of the couch, studying his features.

"It's your turn to ask me a question." I said calmly. He nodded slowly and looked at the ground, brows furrowed.

"Ok, What's your name?" He asked. I sighed mentally. Easy enough question.

"My name is (y/f/n) (y/l/n)." I replied cooly. He smiled a little.

"(y/f/n), I like that."