8: Dont Take Her Away

The journey home was fairly difficult, the grief from Loki's initial death had returned and I didn't feel comfortable driving. Luckily Bucky liked driving the Impala and volunteered to drive home. I thanked him before climbing into the passenger seat and kicking off my heels, pulling the seatbelt across my chest.

"Mind if I take the jacket off?" Bucky asked, undoing the button on the suit jacket. Before I had even responded he had shrugged the black fabric off his shoulders and laid it across the seat behind him and climbed into the driver seat. I guess you couldn't really stop the winter soldier from doing something he doesn't want to do. Bucky pulled the seatbelt across his chest, fastening the buckle and starting the engine before pulling out of the alley and back towards the apartments.

"How bout some music." I said, turning the stereo on. I pushed my REO Speedwagon disc in and filled the car with the sound of Keep Pushin, one of my favorite REO songs. Bucky wrinkled his nose and looked at me in confusion.

"This isn't music." He said. I tilted my head and lifted an eyebrow. He shook his head and pressed a few buttons on the stereo, trying to figure it out before he finally found the power button. The car plunged into silence and I continued my look.

"Ok wise guy, what songs do you know?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. Bucky glanced from me to the road and chuckled.

"Stuff that would give you nightmares." He said quietly. I raised my other eyebrow. Bucky had pressed his lips into a thin line. I adjusted my position so I had my feet up on the middle portion of the bench seat, and rested my elbows on my knees with my chin in my hands.

"Like what?" I asked. Bucky shook his head. I gently poked his upper arm repeatedly.

"What songs?" I bugged. Bucky shrugged me off but I didn't give up. Bucky finally gave in, making me swear to never mention this again.

"As the, other guy, part of my job was intimidation. Mainly other soldiers, who knew Russian. One of the scariest songs in Russian is Tilli Tilli Bom. It even freaked out the handlers, especially with my kind of gruff voice behind it. They would hide me in the shadows of the interrogation room where the subject could only see my shadow, and they would give me a knife covered in blood. Usually sheep or Pig, but you couldn't tell the difference. The knife would reflect the little light while they made me sing the stupid song. After that they usually confessed everything." Bucky explained. His grip on the steering wheel tightened and I lifted my head.

"Sorry Buck, I shouldn't have pushed." I said quietly. Bucky turned to look at me and rested a hand on my knee.

"You're fine (y/n), I actually feel better now that I've told someone part of my past." Bucky said. I smiled and ran a hand through his hair before sneakily turning the stereo on again. Bucky stuck his tongue out at me while pulling into the parking garage of my apartment complex. He parked the car and we got into the elevator. The same man who was there the day Loki died entered the elevator with us.

"I'm kind of new to the building here, I thought I'd say hello while I'm here." He said. Bucky narrowed his eyes at the man, sliding an arm around my waist while I shook hands with the man. The man had blonde hair, that was fluffed upwards in a flurry of tufts. His blue eyes seemed to sparkle in the low elevator light and his smile glinted.

"My name is  Ahlyeksyey, but you can call me Alex." He said. Ahlyeksyey was quite an unusual name, it sounded almost Russian.

"Nice to meet you Alex, I'm (y/n). If you don't mind me asking, what floor is your apartment on?" I asked as we passed the sixth floor, the floor he had gotten off at previously. Bucky noticed this small detail and shifted his stance. I heard the gears shifting quietly in his arm and saw the fabric of his shirt ripple as the plates did.

"Floor number eleven." He said with a smile. I nodded, floor eleven was a storage floor. Nobody lived on that floor. I leaned against the elevator wall near the buttons, allowing Bucky to reach behind me and press the door open button. The elevator hummed to a stop and hesitated a second before the door opened. A second that meant the difference for Bucky and I.

Alex jumped forwards with a syringe in hand, a sort of blue liquid in the tube. He pressed the needle into my skin, injecting the liquid into my veins. I immediately felt drowsy and heard Bucky growl a few curses in Russian before throwing himself at Alex.

"Sputnik." Alex spoke. Bucky's eyes rolled back in his head and he fell unconscious in the middle of his lunge. Alex sidestepped and Bucky fell to the floor where Alex had been lying, breathing heavily.

"Winter," I breathed drowsily before slipping into sleep.

*****

Italics are Russian

"Com three to command, I have the target. Requesting pickup, and soldier transport." Ahlyeksyey spoke into the phone, waiting for the elevator to reach floor twelve.

"Negative com three, leave the soldier. We will have no use for (y/l/n) if we bring him as well." Command said. Ahlyeksyey growled lowly under his breath before confirming the command and hanging up the phone. The doors opened and Ahlyeksyey began the tiring task of dragging the genetically modified 260 pound soldier from the elevator down the hall to (y/n)'s room.

"Why did they have to pump you full of that God serum?" Ahlyeksyey growled, hooking his arms under the soldiers armpits, locking his fingers across the soldier's chest and pulling him from the elevator. Luckily (y/n)'s room was one of the first in the hall and the lock was fairly easy to pick. He finally got the door open and rolled the soldier into the room, abandoning him on the tile before walking down the hall to the soldiers room, finishing his assigned job before exiting the apartment and re-locking it.

"Now for the prize." He said, returning to the elevator and lifting the scout in his arms, pressing the button for the bottom floor. When they arrived, Ahlyeksyey walked out of the elevator into the parking garage and down to the car parked next to the scouts black impala. He gently set her in the back, seat belting her in before binding her hands and feet.

As a last thought, Ahleyskey pulled out his own keys and gouged a HYDRA skull into the perfect black paint job of (y/n)'s Impala. He smiled at his handiwork and climbed into his car, starting the engine and pulling out.

*****

Bucky came to, still aware of the threat of the man called Alex. He was on his feet in an instant, scanning his surroundings and seeing he was in (y/n)'s apartment. His safe place. He took a deep breath and seeing no sign of Alex, relaxed a moment before realizing there was no sight of his doll either. He slipped his boots off, silently walking around the couch into the living room, then putting his back to the wall, he peered around the archway into the kitchen. Empty as well.

He stepped quietly into the kitchen, peering around and under tables, behind the counter and checking the cupboards for any danger. Next he crept down the hall, checking each room as he went. All his weapons were in his room at the end of the hall. He peered around the corner into (y/n)'s room, and upon seeing nothing he softly closed the door. the last room was his own.

When he pushed the door open he froze. Images were flashing behind his eyes, playing like a movie reel that was set on a higher speed. Blood, children with knives through their hearts, adults with their throats cut, two hands covered in blood, one metal, one flesh. His own hair matted down with blood, cuts covering his chest from training in the red room.

He fell to the ground, taking a fistful of hair in each hand while pressing the heels of his hands into his eyes, releasing a pained scream.

"No! Not her! Give her back!" He suddenly screamed, standing bolt upright and ripping down one of the photos from the string of victim photos. Each photo had a massive red X across it. The picture he had pulled down was the car of Maria and Howard Stark. He ripped it in two before pulling the string down and throwing the photos onto the floor.

"Not her! I need her!" He continued letting out pained screams as he pulled down the photos of pain and suffering that he had caused. He finally noticed the picture tucked beneath the bed sheet. He pulled it out to see a picture of (y/n) when she had taken Bucky out to eat that first day, with a red X drawn across it.

"No, not her." Bucky released a sob, falling to the floor surrounded by pain. He clutched the photo to his chest.

"Not her, please don't take her."