Kyle

"I heard it's your birthday." He says, handing you your water.

"Mhm." You nod, looking down at your water.

"How old?"

"19."

"C'mon." He takes your hand and pulls you outside.

I follow you through the tall weeds, and we stop just before a pond.

You both sit on the edge of the pier, not daring to dip your feet into the dark pond water.

You look at each other and smile.

I wish I was him.

"Parties aren't really my scene." He bites his lip. You both laugh a little.

"Mine neither." You confess, looking at the pond. How the reflection of the dark sky contrasts the bright moon on the water.

A moment of silence passes before you look each other in the eye.

"You're really beautiful." He looks down.

"I like your shirt." You say, blushing.

God, I wanted to get sick. This was too much romance packed into one little pier. This Kyle guy was so maudlin.

He stands up, and starts taking off his clothes, getting completely naked.

"What are you doing?" You ask, eyes growing wide.

"Crossing something off my bucket list." He smiles, jumping into the water.

When he comes back up, he pushes his hair back out of his eyes.

"Want to live a little?" He wades.

"More like die a little. Do you have any idea what could be in there?" You pull your knees to your chest.

"Sharks?"

You smile a little before hesitantly standing up. Hands shaking worse than before, you undress.

Kyle only looked at your face, eyes not even glancing anywhere else.

Without any warning, you dive in.

"She looks happy, doesn't she?" Your father's voice comes from beside me.

"Young and reckless as she is...she's happy." He smiles broadly.

"And wouldn't you know, she found it with a live wight." He chuckles the deviously.

"This won't last. She's just lonely because your wife suddenly has a drinking problem." I hiss.

"Isn't it kind of weird? Watching her life play out, kind of like a movie, and all we can do is comment? God is some Nicolas Sparks." He nods in approval.

I roll my eyes.

"I better go. Just thought I'd stop by to gloat. Later, kid." He pats my shoulder.

I hate your father, darling. I don't understand how a flower such as you came from such a cactus.

I watch you two skinny-dip. It's disgusting. I mean, what if his std's swim over to you?

You were so innocent. I wanted to shield that.

The years I've been watching you, you've never drank. You've never fornicated. You've thrown yourself into studies and focused on your future.

Even though your future was about as clear as heavy fog.

"I better go check on my sister." Kyle
says.

"I probably need to get out, anyways." I have missed this smile, Juneau. But I want to be the one to bring it to your face.

He heaves himself out of the water, putting on his pants.

I help you up so airhead doesn't touch you anymore.

You exchange numbers and he walks you to your car, wishing you safe travels, promising to 'hit you up' later.

You get home at about 3 a.m., exhausted as all get out. Your mother still wasn't home so you go up to your room, falling on your bed.

I cover you, and tuck you tightly under your blankets. You were on the brink of sleep.

"I love you." I say.

"I love you, too." You reply softly.