Of Masks And Malice

" I will leave you two in privacy," Frigga said. "Kyra dear, come find me when you have finished."

Frigga was leaving? But -

The Queen shifted and stepped behind Kyra to take her leave. She paused for a moment and placed a hand on Kyra's shoulder.

"A side note to you," she murmured, her voice inaudible to Loki's ears. "Loki has taken some medicines that were infused with magic. So some of his powers have returned. Don't worry, he can't do much - just small little tricks. Illusions. I thought it prudent for you to know."

Kyra nodded, a thought drifting into her head.

Frigga's voice saying - Don't worry, he can't do much with his powers. And Odin's - Fear not, his powers have been stripped entirely and he is but a mere human now.

Was Loki - the real Loki, the one with all his powers, the Asgardian God - such a terrifying criminal? They made it sound as - as if he was a monster. A murderer. Was that what Loki's true form was?

Suddenly she wasn't quite sure that she wanted to be left alone with him. She looked back at where Frigga had disappeared to, half-hoping to see her silver gown peeking out from behind a corner.

Loki saw her looking.

"Why now. It seems as if our mortal is finally beginning to see just how foolhardy it would be to have me for company. Are you scared now? Do I make you tremble in fear? Do you need the Queen's protection? After all, I did almost kill you."

The voice was taunting, like sharp needles driving themselves into her skin. Kyra searched his green eyes. The playful twinkle there was gone, replaced by a sneering glint.

She swallowed. She had no idea what was going on. Why was he like this? Loki's jibes were usually dry humour, not - not this. This was spite.

She took a step closer to the glass, her voice a little more than a whisper.

"Loki. What's wrong? This - this isn't you."

Loki shrugged. "This is me. Loki Laufeyson. This is who I am." He leaned in close to the glass. "Why? Am I disappointing you? Do you prefer your rich boyfriend Lancelot Vivaldi?"

".......You know you're both the same person."

Loki made a loud, short sound that was equivalent to a buzzer indicating the wrong answer.

"This is why mortals are just so easily deceived. Your puny little minds and blind faith are beacons to tricksters, just begging to be swindled!"

Loki's voice became harsh and unforgiving.

"Do you think a god will allow himself to be degraded to the status of a mortal's lover? Even if it is just an act? Do you think a god will treat you simple mortals, you commonfolk, as friends?"

A pause. The next barb bit deep.

"Most of all, do you think a god will truly, willingly, associate himself with a lowly peasant girl that sits at the bottom of society's ladder?"

Kyra's eyes stung and her heart contorted.

"No! It was a false facade!" Loki's voice rose. "A mask I put on, to gain Odin's favour! A personality I faked, to get on your good side, to use you! So that you would help me complete my mission, and perhaps even put in a good word for me to Odin. All done, so I could return to Asgard, to retrieve back my powers."

Loki crouched down to eye level with Kyra, who averted her gaze, her eyes already beginning to shimmer.

"And then," he hissed, his voice deadly and low, "when I am once again made god, do you know what I will do? With my powers? Do you want to know, mortal? Do you want to hear of my glorious plans?"

Numbly, Kyra managed to shake her head - once, twice.

"Loki. Stop. Please." She looked up at him, and a single tear rolled down her cheek. "This  isn't you. This isn't - "

"This is me!" he roared, a thunderous yell that echoed around his cell and set the glass vibrating. "Loki, son of Laufey, the abandoned, the outsider, the unwanted child! I am the monster parents tell their children about at night!"

His voice dipped back down to that sibilant whisper.

"And soon, I will be the monster Midgard parents talk about as well. Do you know why? Because no matter how changed Odin might see me be, I am not. I will never be changed. I cannot be changed!"

"Loki please, just stop -" The tears were flowing freely now.

But Loki was relentless. His words were like arrow after arrow, slung from a merciless crossbow, unstopping, unceasing.

"I seek world domination. I seek power! I was born to rule! Loki, the dictator! As for you dull mortals......well. It's the unspoken truth of humanity, that you crave subjugation. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will kneel before me. 

"Because that is what I intend to do. To rule your world, along with the other realms. To be made king of you insipid Earthlings! That is the fate of your race. That is the fate of you - Kyra Pierce."

Kyra looked at Loki, the tears staining her cheeks, the fear painting her face. She was seeing him for the first time, seeing him for who he really was. The murderer, the criminal. 
The monster.

Loki met her eyes, unflinching, unmoving. He took a step near. Even though there was a barrier between them, even though Frigga had told her not to be afraid, Kyra still took a step back. The reaction was instinctive, done without her being aware of it.

But Loki saw it. With slow deliberation he took another step nearer, until his face was almost touching the glass.

And Kyra took yet another step back.

Loki smiled, a cold humorless smile.

"So the mortal has finally learned to be afraid. That is very wise indeed.

"Keep that fear Kyra Pierce. It is the only tool that is keeping you alive. Harbor no delusions. For when I finally rule Midgard......" Loki's eyes hardened into chips of emeralds.

"You will be reduced to rabble just like everyone else. You will be but another mortal, destined to kneel before me."

His voice, a single freezing whisper.

"So run mortal. Run when you can."

Kyra inhaled, a sharp shaky intake of breath. She held Loki's eyes for long seconds, and then she turned tail and ran.