Of Kings And Kisses

Kyra watched as pair after pair glided into the palace's grand hall, arm-in-arm, talking and laughing. She bit her lip, anxious. Frigga had told her who her date was - Herrick Geir, the palace guard that wasn't on very friendly terms with Loki. He was to meet her near the entrance of the hall, where they would enter together.

Well, she had been waiting for near fifteen minutes now, and still there was no sign of him. It was rather embarrassing, and there were already more than a few curious stares directed her way. She heard whispers too, a snippet here and there, and she knew they could tell that she was mortal. She had no idea how; from what she had seen the Asgardians' physical features were very much similar to those from Earth, except that they were a bit taller. Maybe she wasn't giving off some invisible magical aura thingy-thingy.

Kyra craned her neck and tiptoed. Jesus, these heels are killing me! She teetered dangerously for awhile before setting her toes back onto the ground.

Where is that guy?

*

He could see her from afar. Frigga's touch was clear and present on her - from the hair, wavy and flowing down one shoulder, to the dangling earrings sparkling from her ears, to the black open-toed heels peeking out from beneath the hemline of the dress. And of course, there was the dress itself, a stunning red halter-neck masterpiece, the front ruched into stylish folds and pinned in place with a brooch. Sequins had always been Frigga's favourite, and they were dashed randomly across the cloth, so the light caught no matter how she turned.

He smiled, and adjusted the collar of his black overcoat. Tucking a hand into the pocket of his black dress pants he walked forward, headed for her.

Kyra looked through the hall's double doors. Man, there sure are a lot of people here. She watched the crowd for a moment, taking it all in. The women dressed mostly the same as her, except that quite a few had strange markings and extra embellishments.

There was a light cough at her shoulder and she turned.

Standing before her, with that already-so-familiar twinkle in his eyes, was Loki.

She gaped.

"Surprise." The smugness in his voice was evident.

"Loki! But - how......what are you doing here?"

Loki spread out his arms, and feigned hurt. "But of course. I'm your date for the ball."

Kyra's eyes goggled. "You? But Frigga told me it was Herrick - " She paused and her eyes narrowed. "Loki. Tell me you didn't."

Loki's eyes went wide, all innocence. "Didn't what?"

"You did something to Herrick didn't you? That's why he's late! And you busted yourself out of the dungeon - ! You're in such big trouble! How did you even get all the way here without being seen?"

Instead of answering, Loki placed an arm around her waist and steered her towards the hall entrance. The guard there didn't even look at Loki but simply waved them through. Kyra's jaw fell.

"How......" she breathed. "Oh my god. You brainwashed them didn't you?"

Loki chuckled. "Take a look in the mirror," he said as they passed by the pane of glass.

She looked. Instead of standing next to Loki like how she really was, she was being escorted by a tall, fair-haired stranger. The man in the glass looked so different - for one, the hair was near blonde and much shorter, while the jaw was more pronounced. His eyes were blue and he looked bulkier than Loki.

The clothing was different too. The stranger was dressed like a noble prince, while Loki was in a white shirt and black tie.

"Another illusion?" Kyra guessed.