Chapter 2

"Terminal 9B boarding now," the speakers blared. I grabbed my carry on and my backpack. Our stuff wouldn't arrive at our house for a week so we had to pack quite a few things.

"You ready, sis?" Blake asked me.

"No, but I'll never be."

"It'll get better, I promise."

"Yeah." I rolled my bag through the terminal. The plane was cold when I first stepped on. It was hard to get through the tight aisle so we could get to our seat.

I was struggling to get my carry on in the luggage slot when someone pushed it up easily.

"Thanks," I said to Cody.

"Of course sis." He then sat in his seat, across the aisle, and I sat next to Alex.

"Are you and Jake going to fight?"

"Maybe, I wouldn't know."

"Yes we will," Jake said gruffly. Alex rolled his eyes then went back to his phone.

"Remember what I said," Blake said to Jake.

"Yeah, ok. I wouldn't hurt her, just maybe a little scare or wake up call."

"Fine by me," I said. He smirked at me and Blake sighed loudly.

"Do you want me to sit in between them?" Alex asked Blake.

"Please do."

At first I refused to move. Alex gave me a warning glance but I stayed put. He sighed then pushed up the arm rest and shoved me into his seat. It was no use trying to fight him.

"You are so difficult sometimes," he sighed.

"I know," I smiled. The captain started speaking about take off and safety things that I listened to but knew I would forget five seconds after.

It was close to six o'clock when we finally took off. There was supposed to be some turbulence later in the trip. We weren't supposed to take our seatbelts off unless we needed to go to the bathroom. None of my brothers listened to that rule and I knew most of the other passengers didn't either so I unbuckled my seatbelt.

"No," Alex said when he saw that I was unbuckled.

"Just for a little bit," I pleaded.

"Fine, but not for long. And you are going to sleep tonight." I nodded even though I knew I wouldn't if I could help it. Fourteen hour flight. Fun! Not.

***

"Lily, wake up," Alex shook me awake gently. I had ended up falling asleep when I leaned on Alex while I was watching a movie. I hadn't had much sleep lately so it felt nice to sleep for around ten hours.

"Good morning," I said as I started opening my eyes.

"Morning sis."

"You're lucky that Alex traded you seats. There was a few times I tried to get you back but I always got caught," Jake said.

"Ha," I said smirking. He glared at me and I just smiled back innocently.

"Why did you wake me up, Alexander?" I asked using his full name.

"We are landing in about a half an hour." I nodded then looked out the window.

I started thinking about our new house. I had only seen pictures of it. It was right across the street from my older brother's house. He shares his house with a roommate but he still struggles to pay half the rent.

The house is a classic white on the outside. Its a two stories house. It has four bedrooms, three bathrooms, a home office, a huge kitchen, a living room, and a furnished basement. My brothers will share two rooms while I get my own room. The office is my dad's but he's letting us have the whole basement. The basement will probably be for parties and it'll probably have the gaming devices down there.

"Please buckle your seat belts as we prepare to land," a flight attendant said over the speaker. I buckled my seat belt and leaned up against the window.

"Are you ok?" Alex asked as he gently grabbed my hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

"Yeah," I said sadly. I hated that my dad was so depressed but I really didn't want to leave all my friends. I never was the best at making friends because my brothers were so intimidating. I was glad that I got to see my brother again but I was nervous for this school year.

"I promise it's not as bad as you think," he said before pulling me into his side. I nodded and he kissed my forehead.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you too, sis." I looked pass him and Jake and looked at my other brothers and my dad. My dad was staring out the window, Cody was looking at the food magazine, and Blake was texting someone.

As long as I had my brothers I knew I could get through this. I've never been close to my dad and he never seemed to care about us, even when my mom was alive. My mom and I got along better than the rest of my siblings and her did. She worked a lot so I started getting closer to Mark when she wasn't around. Mark was like the father I never had. We fought a lot about different things but I knew he was just keeping me safe.

My father mostly worked and when he was home he would abuse us. He would come home drunk and start beating us. After my mom died he finally stopped drinking and abusing. Mark would take us away from him most nights. We would go to my cousins house until early the next morning.

"We will now start the descent," the captain said. I felt the nose of the plane go down slightly but it was still smooth. My ears started popping and I almost screamed out in pain. I tried to push on my ear to stop the pain but it wasn't helping.

We landed and we made a complete loop before the plane stopped completely. My ears started getting used to the normal pressure and my ears stopped popping.

"I hope you had a good flight. You will need to go to baggage claim fifteen to get your extra luggage. Have a good rest of the day," the flight attendant said and that was our que that we can go.

Alex, Jake, Cody, and I all stood up. I stretched as much as I could on a small plane.

"Wait," my dad said when Jake went to grab his carry on. Jake stopped and sat back down. We let most of the other passengers off before we got off our selves.

We rolled our bags into the terminal. I looked for my brother and his roommate who happens to be my cousin. I spotted him and he looked my way a second after that. His eyes light up then he ran over to give me a bone crushing hug. Finally, what I've been waiting for the whole trip.