Chapter 6 - POP

Taylor's POV

I had been in the studio recording with Max Martin and Shellback all week.  I was so excited, as I had written some of the songs about three months ago and sent it to them.  Now, we could finally lay down the vocals and music in the recording booth.  We were working on this song, I Knew You Were Trouble, that I had sent to them when I wrote it because I was so excited.  I wanted this effect on the bass line, so we were doing a kind of dubstep thing.  I didn't actually know anything about dubstep apart from what Ed had shown me, so I let Max and Shellback lead the way.  Suddenly, Adam Levine burst into the room.  I didn't even know him, I only knew that he was one of Jake's best friends.  What was he doing in my studio time?

"Sorry to interrupt, Taylor, but I really need to talk to the guys.  It's kind of an emergency." Adam said.

"Sure, but make it quick." Max stood up and left, followed by Shellback.

As I sat there, still thinking about the song, I couldn't help but overhear snatches of their conversation.

"No, I absolutely cannot have that on the albulm, and the guys agree with me.  That's just going too far."

"It has to be finalized by next week."

"We absolutely have no starting point."

"I can't sing that."

"This song needs to be there.  It's the song the rest of the albulm is tied to.  You can't do that."

The rest of the conversation went back to the hushed whispers, and then Max and Shellback opened the door and walked back in, followed by Adam.

"I'm really sorry for interrupting your recording time, Taylor.  Thanks for letting me borrowing these guys.  And I may be Jake's friend, but I really hope you're not getting back together with him.  He's kinda being a jerk right now."  And with that, he left.

"What the heck was that all about? And no way am I ever getting back together with Jake.  We keep breaking up, and then I take him back, and then the cycle just starts all over again.  He's so annoying.  He provokes me on purpose so that we can fight and break up again.  We break up and either I call him, or he calls me.  I'm so sick of him and his stupid underground indie bands.  He hates my music, he hates what I do.  I respect his career, he can just stay out of mine.  We are never ever, ever, ever, ever getting back together.  Like, ever!" I couldn't help it, I just had to let it all out.  It had been stewing within in me for quite some time now.

Someone from behind me said, "You should make that a song."

So, I started strumming this chord and going, "We are never, ever, ever getting back together."  Max and Shellback joined in, and soon enough we had the entire song completed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember when we broke up the first time

Saying, "This is it, I've had enough," 'cause like

We hadn't seen each other in a month

When you said you needed space. (What?)

I was on tour, and he was shooting a movie.  We were on opposite ends of the earth, and I would even try to coordinate our time zones so that I could call him.  But weeks went by, and he wouldn't answer my calls.  One day, when he finally picked up his phone, he decided to tell me, "Taylor, I can't do this anymore.  I need some space.  I think we should break up."

I was so dumbfounded, all I could say was, "If that's what you want."

And then we hung up on each other.  I thought it was done, that I would never have to see his face again.

Then you come around again and say

"Baby, I miss you and I swear I'm gonna change, trust me."

Remember how that lasted for a day?

I say, "I hate you," we break up, you call me, "I love you."

But we weren't done.  The next time I was in LA, he came to meet me.  He said he was changed, he wouldn't ignore me anymore, he missed me, he wanted to be with me again.  I missed him too.  I said yes.

Lo and behold, I left and the whole thing started over again.  This time, I was the one to leave.  After a dozen calls went by with him not picking up, I left a voicemail.

"This is Taylor.  I can't do this again, Jake.  We're done."

Ooh, we called it off again last night

But ooh, this time I'm telling you, I'm telling you

I meant it; I couldn't deal with Jake anymore.

I'm really gonna miss you picking fights

And me falling for it screaming that I'm right

And you would hide away and find your peace of mind

With some indie record that's much cooler than mine

I still missed him, though.  The rollercoaster ride of emotions I went through with him there.  Fighting, screaming, throwing things at each other.  But we would always eventually cool down and come back to each other.  Jake would seek solace in his indie bands and underground records, and I would lock myself in my house and write a few more songs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We decided to go in the both and record it right away.  Jake had always loved his stupid hipster indie music and hated pop, so I wanted the poppiest sound possible.  I hoped that he would hear my songs about him whenever he turns on the radio, mocking him with their production.  Who better to craft the most annoying pop song with than Max Martin and Shellback?  I was delighted at how this would turn out.

After I had laid down all of my vocals and we were just all messing around with the guitars, I looked up and just happened to see that it was dark outside.

"Thanks so much for the help, guys!  Why don't we call it a day and meet here tomorrow at the same time?"  I suggested.

"Sure that sounds great."

"It's a great song, I think its single material," said Max.  "See you tomorrow."