Chapter 4 - The Concert

Taylor's POV

Tonight was the last concert of the Speak Now World Tour. It's a bittersweet feeling. I love touring with The Agency and being able to meet new fans, but I love to be able to sit around at home with my parents and my friends and write songs all day.

I was a lot more nervous than usual. I would be performing with one of my musical idols, James Taylor. And, One Direction would also be there.

I went through all my typical pre-concert routines. Hair, makeup, and pep speech with my band. Soon, they all went onstage and took their places. I stood below the stage and listened to my introduction.

"Real life is a funny thing you know.  In real life, saying the right thing at the right moment is beyond crucial.  So crucial in fact, that most of us start to hesitate, for fear of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time.  But lately what I've began to fear more than that, is letting the moment pass with saying anything. I think you deserve to look back on your life without this chorus of resounding voices saying, ‘I could of but it's too late now.’  So there's a time for silence, and there a time for waiting your turn.  But if you know how you feel and you so clearly know what you need to say, you'll know it.  I don't think you should wait.  I think you should speak now."

I wanted to give this advice to my fans so that they could avoid making the same mistakes I did.  There were so many situations in my life where I could have used that paragraph to give me confidence to say things I now regret not saying.  But maybe I’ve gotten a second chance to speak.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was getting my textbooks out of my locker when Louis came up to me and Abigail.

He looked so happy as he exclaimed, "Hey you guys, guess what?"

I shook my head and said, "I don't know. Why are you so happy today?"  He was always cheery and hyper, but this was stretching it a bit.

His smile got even bigger, if that was possible, as he told us the words I had been dreading: "I've got a girlfriend!"

Abigail smiled and said, "Louis, that's great!  Now you'll finally have a girl to keep you in line."

I tried to force a smile on my face and be happy for him even though it felt like I was dying inside.

That night, I couldn't sleep at all.  Louis's face kept popping into my mind next to hers: Hannah. She was only going to break his heart. With a sigh, I realized that I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. I got up and grabbed my guitar, and started writing a new song.

Lou looks at me; I fake a smile so he won't see

That I want and I'm needing everything that we should be

I'll bet she's beautiful, that girl he talks about

And she's got everything that I have to live without

It’s always Hannah this and Hannah that now.  I just need him to notice me, just for once, as something more than the best friend that’s always there for you when your heart gets broken.

Lou talks to me, I laugh 'cause it's just so funny

And I can't even see anyone when he's with me

He says he's so in love, he's finally got it right,

I wonder if he knows he's all I think about at night

He obviously doesn’t know or doesn’t care.  If he’s not hanging out with his precious Hannah, he’s talking to me and Abigail about her.