FIVE

FIVE

Two weeks following her hand cutting incident, Grace was sitting in the library of the school once again, blue eyes running over a book on genetics in front of her. She was continuing her research, finding joy in the silence the enveloped her once again. It had been a particularly loud morning in her house, her parents arguing over the increase in hours her mother had following the Cullens departure from town. Doctor Cullen's sudden leave had stunned her mother, also leaving the older blonde upset—not that she'd tell anyone that. His leaving also brought an increase in hours on her mother, the hospital needing more coverage until a replacement could be hired. Her father didn't agree with the increase in hours. More so he didn't agree with his wife not being in the house to wait on him hand and foot. Her usual thirty-six hour shifts now stretched to forty-eight with the occasional seventy-two hour shift occurring.

Her research project was the biggest and best distraction for her, allowing her mind to get lost in the deep jungle that was genetics. She was currently looking further into gene mutations, reading over different mutations what they do and on which gene they belong.

"What are you doing?"

Not looking up from the book in front of her, Grace responded as if it wasn't already obvious, "reading."

"Obviously," blue eyes darting up, Grace froze as they connected with an unfamiliar pair of dark ones, although they were slowly becoming familiar. The male pulled the chair across from her out, his companion taking the seat beside him while her best friend rounded the table to sit beside her.

"He meant what are you reading," Jared continued, a grin on his face as he leaned across the table. He grabbed at the notes she had scattered, brows furrowing as he read over her written work.

"Genetic mutations," She finally answered, ripping her eyes away from Paul's dark ones, feeling like she could easily get lost in the depths of his eyes. Heart beating loudly in her ears, she swallowed thickly before holding the book up so they could see the cover, "it's for my research project. For our biology course."

"That's an actual thing?" Embry questions, eyes wide, "I thought that was a nightmare." At the blonde's nod he slouched in his chair, "oh please say you'll help me little bit."

Cheeks flaming at the nickname she despised, Grace shook her head, "I can't help you and do my own."

"It's not that difficult," Paul spoke up once again, eyes glued to the blonde across from him.

Smiling shyly, Grace nodded, agreeing with the older male, "He's right. Just pick a topic of passion in the science field and go from there."