TWENTY-THREE

TWENTY-THREE

Paula was consumed with dinner preparations. Now all she needed to do was add the Sweet'N Low to the tea. Paula opened her pantry door and reached into the Sweet'N Low box and was horrified to discover it was empty.

"Oh no," she whispered. She snatched the box out of the pantry, clawing at the bottom of the box for that elusive packet of artificial sweetener.

Paula's face crunched in worry and her hand clamped around her forehead, terrified about what she should do. Phillip always required a half a pack of Sweet'N Low in his iced tea and she'd forgotten to get a new box at the store. Phillip would be home any minute and there would be no time to get to the Pavilion. This was one time she wished she could hop in the car and go.

"What am I going to do?" She looked up. "Maybe she has some," Paula whispered. Smoothing back her hair, Paula opened her front door. There was a silver car in the driveway of the gray house with the red door across the street, so that must mean the woman was home. Holding her hand over her pounding heart, Paula licked her lips and jogged across the street to the Cross house. Reaching the front door, Paula took a deep breath and pressed the doorbell with a timid finger. It was a few moments before the door flew open to reveal Cindy Cross on the other side.

"Oh. Hi," Cindy said. "Did you need something?"

"Do you have any Sweet'N Low?"

"Huh?"

"Sweet'N Low, I need Sweet'N Low. It's for my husband's iced tea and he won't take anything in his tea but Sweet'N Low and I don't have time to go to the store."

Her words were a stream of vowels and consonants crashing into each other. Paula stole a quick glance over her shoulder, fearful Phillip would come driving up and see her talking to this woman. Paula turned back around.

"Please. Please tell me you have it."

Cindy pursed her lips before she stepped aside. "Sure. I have some. My husband likes Sweet'N Low, too. Come on in."

Paula broke down in tears as she rushed inside. "Oh, thank you, thank you," she said as she followed Cindy inside.

Cindy reached into her pantry and brought out the Sweet'N Low box. "I like real sugar myself, but Chris-that's my husband-he likes this crap." Cindy shook the box. How many do you need?"

"A half a packet."

Cindy stopped shaking the box. "Are you sure that's all you need?"

"Yes. Just half a packet."

Cindy rolled her eyes as she reached inside to produce a handful of pink packets. "Here, take all of these," she said. Paula closed her hands around Cindy's, her eyes shining with tears.

"Thank you. Thank you again. I can't thank you enough. I have to go."

Paula rushed out of the house, leaving a gaping Cindy Cross in her wake. She darted across the street back to her house, with barely enough time to measure out the sweetener for the tea and set the glass on the dining room table before she heard Phillip arrive. Paula mopped her face with a dishtowel before she went to greet her husband. She heard Phillip's footsteps on the front walk and assumed her position.

"Hello, dear," she said as Phillip opened the door. "How was your day?"

Phillip frowned when he looked at her. "Fine." They hugged and Phillip pulled back, looking at Paula's face.

"Paula? What's wrong? You're awfully warm."

She hoped he hadn't felt her trembling like a piece of paper flapping in the wind. She was petrified he would find out she had messed up. She didn't want to go into the closet.

Or worse.

"Oh, I was just in the oven pulling out the chicken. It must be from that." Paula was surprised. She had never lied to Phillip and was stunned at how easily that untruth had rolled off her tongue.

Phillip stared at her for a moment longer before he shrugged. "As long as you're not coming down with anything."

Paula chuckled. "Oh, dear, you know I haven't been sick in forever. It's all those good vitamins you give me that keep me well."

They performed their nighttime ritual, and the rest of the evening passed without interruption. As Paula lay in bed that night, trying to stave off sleep, she couldn't stop thinking about Cindy Cross and how grateful she was that Cindy Cross had saved her.