EIGHTY-FOUR

EIGHTY-FOUR

First, she heard the doorknob being jiggled. She jumped up from her nap on the couch and grabbed the empty wine bottle, ready to smash it over whoever was about to appear. She remembered her phone was in her purse, still sitting next to the hallway table. Phillip's face emerged, a sheepish grin on his face.

"Hi," he said as he dropped his keys into his coat pocket.

Tracy lowered the wine bottle. "What the hell are you doing here? You're not supposed to be back until Wednesday."

He held his hands out in front of him in a pleading motion. "I know, I know, it's just that I kept calling you last night and you didn't answer and I just needed to talk to you."

"So you drove all the way from Milwaukee."

"It's only an hour and a half away. I told you last night, I hated how we left things. I couldn't stop thinking about you, so I got in the car to come home so we could work things out."

Tracy heaved a huge, tired sigh, realizing she was pretty buzzed. "Didn't you tell me you were sitting on a panel tomorrow?"

"I'm skipping it."

"You know, Phillip... there really isn't anything else to say. I think we both know where this is headed."

"No... no..." Fat tears rimmed Phillip's eyes. "Don't say that. Anything but that."

"Phillip, I've tried everything and you just keep on with this... crazy behavior... and I'm done. We're done."

"I'll change, I'll get help, I'll get the therapy. Whatever you want, I'll do it, but please, please don't walk out on me."

"There's something else."

Phillip started to tremble. "Oh... God. There's someone else, isn't there? You're leaving me for another man."

Tracy leaned back against the couch cushions. "Not according to your detective."

Phillip gasped and put his hands over his mouth. "How did you find out?" he whispered through his fingers.

"Your little report came here today. The corner of the envelope got caught in the mailbox, ripped the whole front of it off. Front page, plain as day, 'Surveillance on Tracy Ellis'." Tracy shook her head. "So stupid to have it sent here, Phillip. So stupid. But I have to thank you. It's finally in black and white that you need some help."

Phillip let out a howl and beat his hands against his temples. "They won't let me get personal mail at work," he said, that all-too-familiar whimper creeping into his voice. "I told him to wait, wait until I got back into town and I would pick it up." He banged his palm against the wall. "Damn it," he whispered.

Tracy shook her head, in shock over Phillip's delusions. "Yeah, well, it doesn't matter anyway. I'm filing for divorce."

Phillip stopped his tirade and looked up at Tracy, his face swabbed with fear. "What?"

Tracy stood up and started to pace. "I was going to wait to tell you this, but I've made an appointment with a lawyer first thing Monday."

"No. I won't accept that."

"We both know it's for the best."

"Just give me another chance. I'm begging you," he pled, dissolving into shuddering sobs.

"You can't stay here tonight. There's a Best Western on Diversey. I'm sure they have some vacancies. Or better yet, go back to Milwaukee, finish your conference."

"Tracy, please, I love you. You are my life, my... my reason for living. If you leave me, I won't have anything, no reason to go on."

Tracy looked down at the rug, trying to fight back her tears of pity and guilt. "I'm sorry, Phillip. I'm sorry. If you had just... trusted me, trusted in what we had, things could have been so different."

"They can. We can, I mean, I can. Let's just take some time and regroup and I'll work on things, I'll trust you, I'll be the man you fell in love with. I swear. I swear."

Tracy held out her hand. "Please give me all the keys."

"Tracy, no-"

"Phillip, don't start this bullshit with me. Text me and tell me where you're staying, I'll have a messenger deliver your things."

Phillip lunged for Tracy in an attempt to take her in his arms. Frightened, Tracy ducked away from his grasp. She lost her footing and with a soft "oh," tripped back against the hallway table, hitting the back of her head.

And then there was darkness.