SIXTY-FOUR

SIXTY-FOUR

Phillip opened the door to the house on Red Rose Lane and stepped inside. She waited awkwardly out on the front steps.

"This is where we'll live?" she asked.

"Yes, Paula. This is our home. This is where you will spend your days. Come. Let me show you around."

She tiptoed inside, soaking in her surroundings as Phillip took her on a tour of the house, explaining what each room was for. Everything was plain and white just like the hospital. He could see the fear seizing her, as she thought about what this new place meant. She clutched the collar of her dress and Phillip walked over to her and took her hand.

"Paula," he said as he slipped a thin gold band on her ring finger. "We're married now. And that means you will do everything I say."

"But what if I can't do it?"

"Paula, I don't understand. You were so happy earlier when I told you about our new home. What's wrong?"

Paula rubbed her forehead and looked around. "I don't know if I can do it. What if I can't be a good wife to you, like Tracy-?"

Phillip walked over and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Shhh, shhh. You will, Paula. You will. I know in time you'll prove that you're worthy of my love. That everything we both did was worth it."

She chewed the bottom of her lip and looked around at the sparsely furnished house. "I just don't want to disappoint you. Especially because of everything you've done for me."

Phillip rubbed both her shoulders now. "Just do what we talked about, and you'll be fine. It is very important, Paula, that you do everything I've told you. You take care of me and our home, and you don't tell anyone about your past. We don't want to tip anyone off about you. Then I'll never be able to help you."

Paula nodded. "Okay," she whispered.

He cocked his head to the side. "Paula..."

She smoothed back her hair with one hand, fiddling for a moment with the severe bun at the nape of her neck. "What I meant to say was, yes, dear."

Phillip smiled. "There. That's better. Now. I'm very tired after the long drive. It's time for you to make dinner. I took the liberty of having the realtor pick up groceries. The recipe cards are in the kitchen." He took off his jacket and settled into the beige recliner in the living room. "You'd better get started."

She swallowed and clasped her hands together. "Yes, dear," she said before she scurried to the kitchen.