FIFTY-TWO

FIFTY-TWO

Cindy Cross stood in her kitchen staring out her yellow and blue curtain-framed window watching Paula's house. It was late, but the light was still on. She wondered what was going on over there. She felt her husband slip a hand around her size two waist and nestle against her neck.

"The kids are asleep and the kitchen and living room are clean. What do you say we go upstairs and get dirty?"

Cindy laughed as Chris began to nibble on her ear and his hand flicked across her nipple. "Mmmm, that sounds good," she said as she reached back and ran her fingers through his thick golden hair. He turned her around and they began to kiss each other hungrily in the middle of their kitchen. They pulled back and Cindy rested her head on her husband's chest, her eyes focused in the direction of Paula's house.

"Still thinking about this morning?" Chris asked.

Cindy let out a deep sigh. "Yeah. In some ways, she reminds me of my mother."

"What, crazy you mean?"

Cindy tried to suppress her knowing giggle. "Stop it. No, you know how socially awkward my mother is."

"True."

"On the other hand, I can't decide if she's a battered wife or what the deal is. It's like she's both afraid of her husband and worships him at the same time. Isn't that usually how it is with domestic abuse victims?"

"You already tried the cops and unless you actually see something-"

"I know, I know. They can't do anything."

"Maybe you should go over there tomorrow. See if you can get her to open up to you."

Cindy snorted. "In one morning?"

"Sometimes, if you ask even the most tightly wound people the right question they'll tell you everything."

Cindy pulled her head back, looked at Chris and smiled. "You're right. She probably wants help and doesn't know how to ask. I'll go over first thing. Now-" Cindy gave Chris a knowing look. "I've got something for you in the bedroom."

"Now you're talkin'. Last one to bed has to beg."

Cindy let out a yelp and with a giggle, started to run upstairs, her husband hot on her tail.