Chapter Five

The next day Sabrina was in high spirits, convinced that everything was different now that Elizabeth and her were friends. But when she got to the stable and began to do her chores, Liz didn't even greet her. In fact, she didn't acknowledge her presence at all. Her, Tori and Sam, all strutted through the barn isle, not giving Sabrina a glance as she watered the horses.

Sabrina sighed, stroking Gold Rush, a golden palomino mare.

The rest of the day pretty much went on like this, and by 4 pm Sabrina was pretty tired. She tacked up Domino, a leopard appaloosa lesson horse and exercised him with no trouble. Now, the only horse left to work was Cobalt, Tori's new steed. He was a tall, handsome horse with striking features.

Sabrina wanted to exercise him. He was pacing in his stall, poor guy. But she knew she couldn't touch that horse. Tori would kill her... Still...

~

"What's your name?" He repeated himself, his voice coming in a low growl as he pinned Sabrina against the wall of the stable. She narrowed her eyes, staying calm. She didn't struggle, didn't even flinch, just stared into his chestnut eyes. Brownish red, yeah, what a weird color. Apparently he didn't like being ignored.

"My name is none of your business, sir. If you don't take your hands off me in five seconds I'll kick you where the sun don't shine.". She replied slowly, her voice calm and steady.

Annoyance and shock flashed through his eyes and he tightened his grip on her arms threateningly. Somehow, she could see he was very used to getting what he wanted. Probably a wealthy brute.

She sighed. "Three.. Two.. One." Sabrina sent her knee upward with so much force you could hear the thud of it connecting with the area between his legs.

Apparently he thought she would not go through with it, because the shock on his face was clear. The color of his face turned lighter and he crumpled to the ground, holding himself.

So this is Cole. She thought as he lay groaning in pain before her in the hay. She chuckled, grabbed the hay bale she had came out here to get, then reentered the barn quietly.

~

Liz looked around wearily, as if avoiding someone. She tip toed over to me, an apologetic smile plastered on her pretty face.

Before she could speak, I did.

"Look, I don't know if you're bipolar or something, but if you are ashamed of being my friend when the 'cool kids' are around then we minds well not be friends."

I bluntly said. The shock on her face was evident but turned into anger quickly.
She seemed to be keeping her cool though, I noticed as she spoke.

"I am sorry, Sabrina. I really am. But if I'm seen with you, Tori will outcast me too and she knows me... She will have my secrets to torment us with... It will be so much worse than this."

Liz looked apologetic and weary and tired, all at the same time, the anger seemingly gone. I sighed.

"I thought I had a friend."
I mumble, scrubbing yet another water bucket clean.

Liz throws her head back and groans, quietly.

"We are friends, Sabrina!"

I whip around, clenching my jaw.

"Friends stick together through thick and thin, always standing up for each other and never letting them down." I growled. Dang. That came out a little harsh... Instantly I regret saying that, I can see her face turn red.

"Well I'm sorry for not being perfect!"

She yells in my face, then narrows her eyes at me and stomps off.

I clutch the wood siding of Tempest's stall, getting dizzy. Did I really just do that? No. No no no! I'm so stupid! We just became friends yesterday! But I felt like we really connected...

I hear footsteps and glance to my right, seeing Cole enter the barn with a sour look on his face. A smirk makes it's way onto my lips as he passes, stiffly walking, slow.

"Hey!" I call out.

He freezes in his tracks, stumbles around to face me and I'm met with cold, brown eyes locked onto mine.

"What?!" He growls, furious with me.

I smirk at him. "I'm Sabrina, by the way."

• • •

In my head, I went over and over ways to apologise to Liz. None of them really fit.
She was right after all. No one is perfect, on earth and the only person who will never let you down is God. But he's not even technically a person.

I sigh. We had just become friends literally the day before. Now she'll never be my friend again.

What the heck was I thinking?!

I'm never that dramatic...

Another sigh escapes my lips and I force myself off the bed and into my bathroom, brushing my teeth, showering.

The bed feels like a cloud and I realize just how tired I am as I lay down and pull the covers over myself slowly.

The last thought that crosses my mind is determination to make things right with Liz, then I fall into a deep, amazing sleep.

~

"We need not fight, Lizzy! I admit, I was a bit dramatic yesterday, but it was because I had finally made a friend and then the next day I was ignored by her... I was sad and hurt and confused." As I explained, I looked at the ground, refusing to make eye contact.

"Uh it's fine. No biggy. I get enough drama with Sam and Tori... How about we cut the drama? I need a chill friend." Liz sighed.

I smiled and embraced her with the biggest bear hug I could. She hugged me back and I suddenly felt wanted.