Chapter Six

Mrs. Joy and I had a conversation that made my mouth drop open. She thinks that I would make a "wonderful" rider for a jumper or a dressage horse. She really has faith in me. Lately Brookside is really improving and we have another new horse. She is beautiful. The exact opposite of Tempest, but amazing, just like her. She is an Arabian. Fleabitten grey, 7 years old, and trained averagely well in jumping, dressage, and cross country.

All three new girls asked to lease her but Joy declined. She said that this horse was to be mine if I worked diligently with her. Happiness is overflowing from my heart and my cheeks hurt from smiling so much these last two days. I even get to name her!

I know I won't forget about Tempest, she's been by my side for a while and I love her dearly.

"Why didn't you give me this opportunity with Tempest?" I asked Mrs. Joy, trying to sound not disrespectful.

"Because I didn't know you then. Now I know you, and I know your potential.
Besides, Tempest may run exceptionally fast, but she is only a riding pony for Brookside. She has never been good or willing to jump, or concentrate enough for dressage. The new horse has the potential to be a champion, just like you. Understand?" She smiled, giving me a quick hug before leaving.

I know Tempest has the potential to be a champion. Just not the kind Mrs. Joy wants...
Tempest is a race horse.

~

I stroked the Arabian's neck and let her have a moment of rest, as a reward. She was very responsive to pressure and it made my job much easier. After a few moments I squeezed ever so slightly with my legs and she walked forward, her ears tilted back towards me. With a little more pressure, I sent her into a trot and we made a straight line to C. Then we made a wide circle and cantered to M. It was a little boring to me, but I knew it wouldn't be over time. Dressage is very hard.

After that training session, I groomed her down and hooked a lead rope to her leather halter. After a long drink, we set off.

Meadow time!

In the beautiful field between the stable and the race track, I led the Arabian mare in the grass where lots of flowers were glowing in the evening light. A smile was plastered on my face, and I thought of today's blessings. My ride on Tempest was great, and she really loved how I switched it up today. First, we galloped one lap on the race track then I took her into the woods beside this field and had a nice long walk.
I exercised a few other horses, and then Joy told me to go ahead and start training the new mare. As you know, that went well. She is very intelligent, too.

I scratched her ear and laid down in the grassy flowers, while she grazed beside me. My eyes closed and I breathed in the aroma of wildflowers surrounding me.
Then I looked at the sky. My favorite color was sky blue. I've never met someone who enjoyed just staring at it for hours like myself. The fluffy white clouds lazily crossing my line of sight, the way the moon was already visible this evening. I smiled, looking at the mare.

"I'll call you Moon." She nickered quietly and kept grazing.

Not too much later, we headed back, because I suddenly had the feeling we were being watched.
As we entered the stable's gait, I turned and gazed back at the field of flowers. Moon nuzzled my arm and whinnied, while looking at the field. Then, something clicked. She was elegant, yet had the power to be wild and dangerous, and she was amazingly beautiful. Yet she glowed like the moon. Flower, or Moon? I bit my nails, thinking about it. I couldn't decide!

"Moon... Or Flower?" I mumbled, leading her to her stall. "Moon.... Flower?"
"Moon... Flower. Moon Flower!" I grinned, filling her feed bucket.

Her name was Moon Flower.