F o u r

*The guy in the pic is Cole :)*

I didn't dare to look up because I could still feel the cold damp trail on my face where my tears had been a couple of minutes ago. I didn't look up because despite the confidence everyone thought I had, I was terrified. But I had to, just like I had to for everything else. Just like I had to be the perfect girl, just like I had to keep my diet. Just like I had to be smartest student in the school; because if I didn't, then they would notice, well maybe if they noticed, I could then replace the old rusty razor in my bag for one of those cool sharp and sleek ones.

This was rather exciting, planning ways in which to hurt myself to escape, to trick ,to tell myself that I wasn't broken. Heck , broken isn't even the appropriate word, destroyed more like. So I looked; because I like to pretend, I like to tell myself that it'll all get better and that when I get home I will be pleased to see the numbers on the scale that I won't scream the next time I see my face in the mirror. So I look up and smile, it feels so faux I almost want to laugh but the dark empty feeling caving inside stops me.

"Good morning Ms Jones, how are you?" I ask the lady, she smiles a warm, kind smile, one that should not be given to someone like me. Ms Jones is the teacher in charge of my school's Debate Club. Debate. The word itself almost helps ease the dull pain that takes over my life. It's the only thing I am truly good at, it is the only place where I feel as if I do not hate the pale flesh in which is myself. But most importantly, besides the razor in my bag, it is the only thing that makes me forget and escape , and for a second, I feel okay.

"I'm great thank you Juniper, anyway I have some great news, our school will once again be taking part in the annual secondary school  state competition and of course, you as our best speaker have been selected to take part!"

I don't reply. I just stand there, I stop and just take a minute, take a minute to let the words seep into my mind, for my body to register the fact that I feel.... joy? For my body to register that the static buzzing running through my veins is, for just a minute, fueled by excitement not anxiety. And I take a minute, because it's been a while since I've felt this way.

"Juniper...?" Ms Jones dragged as she stared at me, with a rather concerned expression on her face.

"Oh yes, sorry Ms, you were saying?" I asked.

"Yes well, I assume you still remember the rules and procedures?"

**

"Hi there" he spoke, his smile tinted with mischief and amusement. I looked at him, he sat on the chair adjacent to mine, legs spread apart, casually swinging his clasped hands. Cool icy blue eyes, a sharp nose, chiseled jaw, broad shoulders and sandy blonde hair. Brilliant, another person to add to my 'human beings whom make me feel and look like shit' list.

"You must be Juniper," his voice oozed a certain confidence that I wish I had the ability to possess. I smiled, trying to hide the envy as I spoke.

"Yes, hi ... how did you know?" I swear to God I have never seen this guy before, and I hope he's not a stalker; I already have too many problems to take care of in my life.

"I heard the lads on the football team talking about you being the hottest girl in our school. And well, you're pretty attractive" He smirked

I grabbed my bag, letting my hair fall in front of my face as I pretended to scavenge for something. I mentally cursed Ms Jones for leaving me with this neanderthal.

"I'm Cole by the way, Cole Davis, I'll be the second speaker of your team for the debate competition"

Oh lovely, I was supposed to work with him now? Debate was supposed to be my escape,now it just seemed like another reason to off myself. I considered running to the bathroom but the sound of a door opening, derailed me from my thoughts.

"Oh good, you two have met, so, Juniper, you shall be the first speaker of the team, Cole second. Jessica Arnold will be your third but she is not here because she has a geography test right now. Juniper you're close friends with Jessica right? Could you please be a dear and give this form to Jessica?" Ms Jones asked, emerging from the door while handing me a couple of papers. "The paper below that is yours, please ask your parent or guardian to sign it and pass it up to me tomorrow. Cole, this is your form. Now the competition will be held this weekend, as you both know your topic will only be given to you an hour before the debate session. The address of the place in which the competition will be held is on the form, if you have any further questions be sure to find me in the staff room. Now I assume the both of you have class? You may leave now. Oh and Juniper? Could you please help Cole find his classroom? He's new."

"So, what made you decide to take part in the competition?" I asked,the silence was wearing me out  and the longer it remained the faster I felt her seep in, and I was not in the mood to hear the voices, it was too early in the day to allow her voice to control me.

"Meh, I needed a break from all the sports ya know? Plus, didn't you know? Ladies love intellectual guys" he stated, raising an arched eyebrow, while sporting a smirk.

I didn't reply

"I'm kidding, I took part in my old school's debate club last year and I thought it was rather cool, so I may as well try out now right? You know, just because I'm a so called 'jock' doesn't mean I can't be smart babe."

"What? I didn't even say anything. I never sa-" I tried to explain, what was wrong with this guy? I mean sure he didn't strike me as a debater but it wasn't like I said anything about it, Did I say something wrong? Did I mess up? I can't mess up. Juniper Evans never messes up. Oh no, what if he finds out? But I didn't have time to think about that as a chuckle interrupted my anxiety-ridden thoughts.

"Babe, chill. I was just messing with ya"

"Yeah whatever, can you please not call me that? It's repulsive, last time I checked I was 17 years old ,not months, anyway this is your class" I sighed, gesturing to room 143, "have fun in chemistry, I'll be going now"

"You know chemistry would be a lot more interesting with you Juniper. Catch ya later babe" He smirked, shutting the heavy wooden door behind him.

I held in a groan, trying to control the rage bubbling in my chest. Dealing with people is so agitating.

|Author's note|

Hello beautiful human beings! ❤️

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and Cole *wink wink* he'll be less annoying in the later chapters , I hope... Anyway, I wrote this chapter so you guys would get a glimpse of what Juniper loves and finds love in before she faced anxiety and anorexia.

The next chapter will be the debate competition where she will meet someone rather interesting and important *tries to wink again but fails* ;)

And as mentioned before, if you guys have any questions, sneak peaks or just wanna chat, make sure to check out:

My ask - http://ask.fm/theaidea/

My Twitter - https://twitter.com/theaidea

And thanks so much for reading my book, you guys are lovely, 💕please do leave a comment, I would love to know what you guys think, and a vote too? <3

I'm not sure if i should join Wattys2016 what do you guys think? hahah

Well that's all for now, see you lovelies in the next chapter.

theaidea 💕