Verse 7

It was a busy day at the mall.

After asdfghjkl years, natapos din si Patring sa pag-aayos ng gamit niya sa condo unit nila ni Maine. The next day, Maine thought the girl was tired to spend the day in her room sleeping, but apparently, she stood corrected. Nakapagyaya pa si Patring mag-mall ngayon.

"I need to buy new clothes appropriate for Philippine environment," she said. "And your things for your online bakeshop, di ba?"

Isinama pa ang nananahimik na online bakery ni Maine. Still, she knew better than to argue. Maine couldn't exactly keep still in her room and get herself drowned in her thoughts. Mas gusto niyang may pagkaabalahan siya.

"Any ideas for our new vlog?" Patring asked her. They were having lunch and a couple of people were gathered outside the resto. May something sa activity center, but Maine was too preoccupied to find out what it was.

"I got nothing," Maine shrugged. "Tour around the unit, I guess? Something simple muna since alam naman nilang may inaasikaso tayo."

"Fine," Patricia sipped on her drink, her chin propped on her hand as she mused. Isa pa 'tong si Patring who looked effortlessly beautiful at whatever angle. Kaya paborito ng camera eh. "Nag-iisip ako ng bagong raket, though. For FriDare. I wonder saan?"

"Don't do it somewhere public. Kung anu-ano naiisip ng viewers kapag nasa public eh, asar."

Last time they did a livestrem at a park, Maine was dared to propose to the first guy she sees. Yeah, it was embarrassing as fuck.

Maine was distracted from the conversation when her phone rang; it was Valeen. Kahit na lumipat si Maine sa Manila at kahit pa nung nag-New York na siya, Valeen was the only one she kept in touch with. Val studied interior design in Paris, and visited Maine thrice, while the latter visited her twice. Nagkakilala na rin si Patricia at Valeen, and Maine was thankful na nagkakasundo yung dalawa, especially in terms of fashion.
"Hi Val," Maine chirped.

"Menggay! Meng! You won't believe what happened today!" Valeen was gushing.

"Why? What happened?"

"Jacques proposed! Oh my god, I totally didn't expect it, I mean, we were just doing our stuff in my room when he--"

"Jaq proposed?" Maine repeated, disbelief etched in her tone. Patricia looked up from her food staring at Maine. "What did you say?"

"I said yes, of course! Ano pa ba? Menggay naman--"

"Valeen Montenegro," Maine interrupted, her lips pursed. "Didn't Jerald follow you all the way to Paris?"

Silence from the other line. "Val?"

"So what?"

"What do you mean 'so what'?"

"So what if Jerald followed me? We talked. We ended. It's done. As if sasagutin ko siya."

"Di ba ilang taon na siyang nanliligaw sa'yo? Ever since fourth year?"

"Yes. Nakatatlong girlfriend din siya while he was, quote unquote, nanliligaw. Maine, bakit ba natin siya pinag-uusapan? Ikaw ba? Nakausap mo na ba si RJ?"

"No," Maine hesitated. "Wala naman akong balak kausapin siya."

Valeen hummed in response. "Uuwi kami ng Pilipinas para formal ko siyang mapakilala kila Mamsie. Alam mo naman yung mga yun. Punta ka ha? Sama mo si Patring."

"Kung ikasasaya mo," Maine replied weakly. RJ's friend or not, she needed to talk to Jerald, asap.

"Si Valeen yun?" Patring asked. Maine nodded, wincing a little. "She's engaged."

Patricia choked, staring at Maine incredulously. "Seryoso? Kanino?"

"Eh di sa boyfriend niya."

"Yung on and off niya for two years?"

"That's the one," Maine shrugged and continued to eat her food. Hindi malinaw ang mga pangyayari sa kanya, and she needs to clear it, before Val enters a decision she might regret.

After their lunch the two proceeded to the Department Store. Takang lumingon si Patricia sa paligid. "Ang onti ng tao ah? Di ba Saturday ngayon?"

"Hayaan mo na, pati dami ng tao pinapansin mo pa," Maine meant to tease, while Patricia shoved her lightly, giggling.

Unfortunately, Maine didn't expect the shove that she almost lost her balance, but caught herself before she bumped to a guy in a hoodie. Weird nga dahil bukod sa hoodie nakashades at cap pa yung guy. Siguro may ginagayang mannequin.

"Sorry," Maine barely glanced at him but mockingly glared at her friend, who was already walking ahead of her. "Huy! Teka lang naman, Patring!"