Second Chorus

When RJ stopped the car, Maine looked out at the window and froze when she realized where he took her.

The basketball court where their friendship ended.

Her heart skipped a bit, not sure whether what she was feeling was dread or something else. The court hadn't changed much, she noted, except it was newly painted and now had a roof. She was staring at it a bit too long, remembering how she was left crying on the bleachers, where Valeen found her, how she begged her friend to just bring her home because her heart was aching more than her ankle, and really did this court hold other better memories?

She didn't even notice that her side of the car had already opened and RJ was waiting for her outside, squinting because the sun directly shone on him. "Tara?"

"Anong..." She gulped, looking at the court once more. "Anong ginagawa natin dito?"

He gave her a dimpled smile, one that sent her heart into a worse rage than there already was. "I just want to show you something."

"Hindi kaya hanapin na tayo nina Valeen? Tadtad na nga ko ng me--"

"Sandali lang. Please? May gusto lang akong sabihin."

And then she remembered Valeen's request (or rather, coercion) so she shrugged off her hesitation and stepped out of the car, taking RJ's outstretched hand.

Goosebumps rose out of her skin at his touch and she chewed on her lip, feeling really nervous about this, whatever this is.

Takbo kaya ako? Hindi naman ganoon na kalayo yung bahay namin dito, pwedeng lakarin.

Pero pucha isang malaking #PAANO ako tatakas eh kung makakapit 'tong isa akala mo naka-glue na 'yung kamay.

"Maine."

"Hmm?" She looked up to meet his gaze, surprised that there was less than a couple of inches between them. He squeezed her hand, but she realized mukhang hindi lang siya ang kinakabahan.

"I... Umm... I prepared this out of the blue, but I think you deserve this. You deserve all the good things in this world, really."

He was so earnest Maine didn't know how to reply. Turns out she didn't need to, because he already pulled her inside the cover court, and the sight surprised her.

In five golden balloons were the letters S-O-R-R-Y, held by children Maine assumed were residents of this area. White and yellow balloons also littered the floor, and the children were giggling and laughing to each other. When she turned to RJ, he was holding a boquet of white tulips that he promptly handed her.

"What is this--"

"Wait, hear me out first."

Oh, I'm hearing you alright. Naririnig niya ang ingay ng ibang tao pero si RJ lang ang naiintindihan niya. Selective hearing. Kasi a buzz was murmuring all around her but her attention was on the guy in front of her, wearing a plain white shirt and black jeans, a faint stubble on his chin. His voice wasn't loud enough for others to hear, but Maine could still hear him clearly.

"Six years ago," he started. "Six years ago, in this place, I first broke your heart. It was only later did I realize na hindi lang ikaw yung nasaktan ko-- sarili ko din. And frankly, everyone around us. Six years ago, I was a shallow kid who only understood things my own way. Na para bang wala nang ibang paraan para maintindihan ang mga bagay kung hindi sa paraang alam ko. Which costed you.

I interpreted your shyness as indifference. Tuwing magkasama kasi tayo sa harap ng maraming tao akala ko ayaw mong nakikitang kasama ako. So I brushed you off. Kasi you were starting to mean something to me, but I was afraid I didn't mean as much to you. That time, I knew I didn't want you to see me as an older brother. Kaya nga ayokong tinatawag mo kong Kuya noon.

So when I heard you talking to other girls from your class... Sabi mo noon, you didn't like me. At hindi ako mahalaga sa'yo. So I assumed the worst and thought, bago mo pa ko tuluyang i-cut off sa buhay mo, ako na gagawa nun. I should start caring for you less. Which was exactly what I did. At alam ko na ngayong mali 'yun, kasi kahit na noong panahong 'yun wala akong halaga sa'yo, dapat ginawan ko na lang ng paraan. Alam ko na ngayong mali 'yun, because it only hurt me. And most of all, it hurt you. And six years can pass pero yun ang kaisa-isang bagay na hindi ko kayang tiisin. Ang isang Maine Mendoza na nasasaktan."

Maine didn't even realize she was crying until RJ was already wiping her tears, hands trailing down her arms and clutching her hands, until he was kneeling on both knees in front of her. "Huy, ano na 'yang--"

"Nicomaine, hindi ako magsasawa na humingi ng tawad sa'yo. Araw-araw, oras-oras. I will live my life atoning for my mistakes. If you'll let me to. Handa akong maghintay kung kailan ka maging handa para patawarin ako. But please, allow me to seek for your forgiveness. Hayaan mo akong bumawi."

Maine bit her lip to stop a sob from escaping and pulled him up. His eyes were rimmed red already, and she appreciated the fact that he bared her soul to him.

"Hindi ko alam kung saan ka lumaklak ng balde-baldeng katapangan, o kung sinong bayani ang sumapi sa'yo," she wiped away his fallen tears on instinct. "Pero oo, papakasalan kita."

"Ha?"

"Joke lang," Maine was crying now. She hit him lightly with her bouquet, shoulders shaking. "Ikaw naman kasi! May paluhod-luhod epek ka pang nalalaman tapos may ganito pang chenes. Akala ko naman aalukin mo ko ng kasal."

"Gusto mo ba?" He grinned. Actually, ready naman ako kung gusto mo. "Kaso sabi mo one step at a time. Kaya ito muna."

"Wag ka nga!" She hit him again.

"So?" He prompted.

"So? Dami mong sinabi eh, hindi ko alam pano sasagutin lahat 'yun," she took a deep breath and looked around, before smiling at the boy-- no, man-- in front of her. "I already forgave you. Four years ago pa. Kasi narealize ko naman na hindi lang ikaw ang may kasalanan. A relationship fallout will always be the responsibility of both parties. But."

"But?"

"Hindi ko talaga maalala yung sinasabi mong may sinabi akong hindi ka mahalaga at hindi kita gusto," Maine frowned, really trying to remember. "I never would have dared say that."

Unless.

Ang narinig niya ay 'yung pag-uusap naming inamin kong--

Ay, pakshet. Wag yun uy.

"Doesn't matter," RJ beamed at her. "Ang importante, binibigyan mo ko ng chance. Babawi ako sa'yo, promise."

He kissed the hand he was holding, and moved to kiss her forehead. She closed her eyes and held back a sigh, holding on to him. When he pulled back, he smiled at her and tucked her into a hug, and everywhere around them children broke into an applause, cheering them.

All's well, they thought. All's well.

***

So ayun na nga. Malapit na bang magtapos ang kwento? Hmm, yes probably. More or less ten chapters na lang.