Verse 8

"Sorry."

Alden didn't even see her face but he knew that voice. He knew that voice but couldn't pinpoint where and when he heard it exactly. But he's too preoccupied to try and remember who that voice belonged to, and Tori would most probably skin him alive if he doesn't arrive at the backstage tent on time.

He was only three minutes late.

Pagkadating na pagkadating niya, inayusan na agad siya at pinagpalit ng damit.

"Remember what I told you before?" Tori oriented him, holding a clipboard in her hands. "Palambutin ang kanta ha?"

Alden just nodded. He did this countless of times already. Kayang kaya niya 'to.

A program was held for a bit before the host announced Alden Richards' name-- and he was shoved into the limelight, that even though RJ's nerves were such a wreck, he was too far hidden that Alden Richards couldn't feel it.

Thank God for Alden Richards.

RJ wouldn't know what to do without him.

He waved at the crowd and even at those who were looking from the higher floors, smirking.

He lived for this. The scream. The appreciation. No matter how many times this kind of life seemed to be so demanding, that it even changed his name and the way he treated people... he loves this. This and music.

And her too, pero sa ngayon wala pa siya.

When finally, he was asked to sing, he took the guitar he has been keeping for the longest time. Yung gitara na bigay sa kanya ng Nanay niya.

"This song is very close to my heart; it was written by a very special person," he smiled, and the audience cheered. "Dito ko lang po 'to kakantahin."

And he felt like RJ again-- the kid who went to countless auditions and got rejected countless of times. Who crawled his way to the top.

When I tell you that I love you,
I mean it.
When I say that I can't lose you,
I mean it.

Why can't you see?
What you mean to me?
You're the melody to my songs,
The rhyme to every verse I sing.

The audience was strangely silent. Alden knew why; he just made this last night, right out of that old yellow notebook.

He smiled-- not an Alden Richards smile, but an RJ Faulkerson one. As if being slapped to reality, the audience screamed and cheered. Alden reeled with satisfaction, eyes scanning the audience, and he couldn't believe who he just saw.

Everyone saw how he tensed up, fixated. The cameras were panning at the audience, trying to catch what mesmerized the star, but their efforts were all futile-- nagkandasiksikan na ang mga fans at halos matakpan na ang isa't-isa.

All Alden could do was stay on top of that stage, surprised, mouthing her name. Only her name.

Maine.

***

"Okay Alden, tell me, just what the hell was that?"

They were in a tent backstage now, waiting for security so Alden can exit the mall safely.

The performer sighed, shaking his head. "Wala."

"Anong wala? You just totally froze up there!"

She's back. She's back, why didn't anyone tell me?

"I saw a familiar face. In the crowd. An old... friend," he finally admitted. Hindi niya na rin kayang tiisin ang titig na binibigay sa kanya ni Tori. "Siya yung tinutukoy kong nagsulat ng kanta."

Tori's face crumpled in confusion, and then lit up. "Si May?"

"Maine," Alden corrected her.

Tori suddenly buzzed around, her eyes glinting. "Nagkausap ba kayo? Anong nangyari? Do you know how we can contact her?"

"Hold up," Alden narrowed his eyes at his manager. "What are you planning?"

Tori smiled at him, beaming. "Alam ko na kung paano natin mapapabouce back ang career mo." 🎵