Chapter 1 - So Much For Knowing the Bassist

It was approximately two hours after Tori arrived home that the blaring of a car horn drew her out of her bedroom. She was dressed exactly as she had been for school, but now, her hair was tied up in a messy ponytail. She happened to be wearing a Green Day t-shirt, hoping that this new band they were going to see would at least be somewhere in the rock genre and therefore make this shirt appropriate to wear to their show, along with a pair of black skinny jeans and a red flannel shirt over the t-shirt. She didn't bother with makeup. If they met anybody that happened to be hot tonight, Jess would be all over them before Tori could even think about trying to flirt.

            Still, when the car horn sounded from the street outside, Tori wasted no time in skipping down the stairs and grabbing her purse. She called a half-hearted goodbye to her parents, something she would regret not spending more time and thought on soon enough, and then stopped by her little brother's bedroom on her way out. She creaked the half open door a little further ajar and stuck her head in, finding Aaron sitting on his bed, a Nintendo Game Boy lighting up his pale little face. "Hey, bud," Tori said, smiling at the boy she practically helped raise. "I'm going out tonight with Jess. I'll see you tomorrow morning, okay?"

            "Okay," Aaron mumbled back, his mind already preoccupied by the game. Tori smirks at him, her smile never fading as she backs out of the room and heads for the front door. She grabs a black hoodie on her way out the door, just in case it gets cold, and she never once thinks about all the other possible reasons that grabbing the hoodie will inevitably save her life in the near future. In fact, why would she? Just as the city never regarded the ominous rising sun this morning, Tori would not notice the steady decline of her evening until it was too late.

            As she climbed into the back seat of Jess's beat-up, old Ford, her friends turned to smile and greet her excitedly. "I heard they're going to be great," Jess mused as she pulled away from Tori's driveway.

            "Did the bassist tell you that?" Tori snickered, earning herself a strong glare from Jess through the rearview mirror.

            "No," she stated, rolling her eyes. Honestly, Tori had no real idea as to why she was friends with Jess. All they ever seemed to do was piss each other off. And yet, here they were on their way to a concert together. "But I did talk to Pete, and he said he could get us some back stage passes. Annabelle," she added, "You would like the drummer. Pete thinks we could hook you guys up."

            "The drummer?" Annabelle asked, sounding cautious.

            "Pete?" Tori questioned, "The bassist?"

            "Yes," Jess whined impatiently. "But he's mine, I already promised him he could come back to the motel with us."

            "Motel?" Tori questioned again. The car rolled to a stop at a red light, and Tori honestly considered jumping out of the car right now, before anything else could go wrong. It was a school night; She didn't want to spend the night in a questionable motel just so Jess could get laid by some over confident bassist. "Jess, I have to get home tonight."

            "Oh, calm your tits," Jess laughed, "You'll be to school on time tomorrow. Besides, I booked three separate rooms for us, just in case."

            "Just in case what?" Annabelle asked, blushing profusely.

            "You know exactly what," Jess giggled, winking at us both. Tori already knew it was going to be a long night, though not for the reason that Jess was hoping. She'd be damned if she spent her Tuesday night holed up in a sleazy motel with a band member she doesn't even know. And for the record, she was pretty certain that Annabelle felt the same way.