Chapter 23 - Shut Up, and Accept Your Role as "Kickass Zombie Slayer"

A/N: Okay, so I'm uploading this really early, but only because I can't sleep. I had a bad reaction to the antibiotic I was on, so now it may be a few days before I update again. I can't seem to win this week, guys, lol. I'm sorry again for the delays, but hopefully my doctor can find me meds that won't kill me when I go see him tomorrow. Wish me luck, and happy reading!! ❤️

********************************************

Patrick and Tori laid together for most of the day, neither of them bothering to leave the bedroom. They hadn't bothered to even put clothes back on, but they hadn't made love more than once. By noon, Patrick laid backwards on the bed, his head hanging slightly over the foot of it, and Tori laid sprawled over his chest, leaning against his right side. His arm was wrapped securely around her shoulders, his fingers playing in her hair, while his other arm rested against his bare stomach. Tori's fingers traced lazy, obscure patterns over his chest, tickling him from time to time, but he didn't complain.

            At the moment, they laid in complete silence, neither whispering a thing to the other. Patrick turned his head to press a soft kiss to Tori's cheek, nosing playfully at the side of her head until she looked up at him with a short laugh. He kissed her lips then, slowly and purposefully, his hand knotting in her hair. Tori's hand moved up to his jaw, dragging lightly over his sideburn and down to his chin. When he slowly pulled away from the kiss, his eyes hooded over, and a faint grin creeping onto his face, Tori looked up at him again and bit her lip. Patrick ran his fingers through her hair again, sighing contentedly. "I love you," he whispered, for what must have been the hundredth time that day.

            Tori smiled, laying her head back on his chest again. "I love you too." She turned her head and peppered a few kisses across his bare skin, making Patrick close his eyes blissfully. When she was finished, Patrick surprised her by suddenly rolling over, hovering above her as his hair fell over his shoulders, framing his face like a halo as he smirked down at her. Tori ran her fingers over his chest, down to his stomach. Patrick leaned down slowly, attaching his lips to her neck in such a way that wasn't at all lustful, but only passionate and full of love. She knew he wasn't expecting anything to come out of the kiss, not even when he trailed his way teasingly toward her chest and back up the other side of her neck. He was only taking her in, worshiping her almost, just loving her.

            They would have been perfectly content to lay there for the rest of the day, and all night as well. After all, there was nothing to stop them. There was no place they needed to be, and nothing they needed to do, other than survive. And in here, they felt invincible. Together, they felt like the apocalypse had taken a standstill outside of this bedroom, simply because they loved each other. Unfortunately, that was not the case, and they both knew it. Outside, droves of zombies still roamed the streets. There were people dying every day, people they never knew and of course, never would. In this small apartment, over a rundown old venue on the outskirts of Chicago, they didn't realize quite how badly the epidemic had spread.

            In the first day of the outbreak, while Tori was discovering the gruesome deaths of her two best friends, the epidemic had infected all of Illinois, New York, California, Texas, and Florida. In each state, the infected spread out from a common origin point, based in major cities. Chicago, New York City, Buffalo, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, and Orlando were the first places to be infected. By that night, as Tori stepped into a dilapidated old van and laid eyes on a young boy, asleep, with a blanket around him and trucker hat perched on his strawberry blonde hair, the outbreak had spread to the surrounding states. Over half of the United States had been infected within the first day, and by the time Tori was standing behind a counter in Cabela's Hunting Store, the epidemic had spread to the Southern parts of Canada, and was steadily creeping its way through Central America.