Chapter 31 - I'm Not Giving Up

Patrick and Tori spent weeks, months really, searching for the boys. Patrick was sure they had driven up and down every street in Chicago three times over, and still, there was no sign of them. They searched backstreets and parking ramps for the white van, even went back to Glenview to search houses. Still, they had found nothing to make their search any easier. They were exhausted, spent, and beginning to run low on food. Tori wasn't sleeping half as much as she should be, and Patrick didn't have any idea what to do for her. They had no idea how the baby was even doing, but her belly was beginning to gain a little roundness to it.

Tori didn't fret so much over it anymore. She had accepted the fact that there was nothing they could do about it, other than try their best for the child. Patrick often caught her running her hands over her abdomen, a slight smile on her lips. He could barely keep his hand off of her when he wasn't driving. They hadn't made love in a few weeks now, both of them too afraid that they might hurt the baby, especially without a doctor to tell them otherwise. Still, Patrick made it a daily goal to profess his love for Tori in a new way. On this particular morning, Patrick had left the truck where they had parked it the night before to venture into a nearby field. Tori was fast asleep for once, sprawled out over the back of the truck. Patrick didn't go too far, but he went just far enough to gather up a handful of wildflowers to bring back with him. Flowers in hand, he climbed up beside Tori and laid beside her again. He set the flowers down, wrapping his arm around her so that his hand was pressed firmly against the swell of her belly. She stirred in her sleep and Patrick stilled, afraid to wake her.

She slept for only a few more minutes before turning to face him, her eyes fluttering open slowly. She groaned softly as she stretched her arms over her head, then snuggled closer to Patrick. He kissed her forehead, nuzzling against her as she closed her eyes again. "Good morning, Trick," she whispered, yawning.

"Morning," he whispered back, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay," she mumbled, "I think the morning sickness might be wearing off a bit."

"It's been almost three months already," Patrick whispered, as if he couldn't believe it.

"I know," Tori sighed, looking up at him somberly. "You know what I really want right now?"

Patrick grinned, already knowing where this was going. She'd been having cravings lately, none of which he could even attempt to get for her. "What?" He asked, kissing her forehead.

"A burrito," Tori groaned, closing her eyes and conjuring up an image in her mind that made her mouth water.

"Why do you do this to yourself?" Patrick giggled, pulling away from Tori to sit up. She sat up beside him, her hands coming to rest over her belly.

"It's all your fault," she mumbled, playfully shoving at his leg. Patrick grinned.

"It takes two to tango, my dear," he teased, winking at her before he climbed out of the truck. He turned and waited patiently for her to shuffle her way to the edge of the truck bed, then carefully helped her down to the grass beside him. Once she was steady on her feet, Patrick reached for the flowers he had set down, holding them out to Tori almost bashfully.

Her eyes widened in surprise as she took them, smiling widely up at him. "Patrick," she breathed, reaching to wrap her arm around his shoulders in a tight embrace. "They're beautiful. Thank you."

"It's the least I can do," Patrick whispered as he held her close, careful of her belly between them. When he finally pulled away, it was with a forced, but hopeful smile. "Now come on, we've got a van to search for." He tugged her along to the side of the truck, opening her door for her, despite the somber look on her face.