Chapter 18 - We're Just Kids

There were no windows through which the morning sun could enter the drafty old venue. There was no light to wake them; only the ticking of their own internal clocks to help them tell the time. Tori was the first to wake, and though she had no way of knowing, it was around mid-day. The sun was already high above them, burning down over the city as if to engulf the very last of the human race in flame. She was already sweating as she kicked off the blankets Patrick had pulled over her in the night, and she cursed under her breath at the heat.

If there was one thing that annoyed Tori most about the apocalypse, it was the heat. The zombies, she could manage. The loneliness, one became numb to. The heat, however, seemed to be getting worse every day, and the cold of night never seemed to last long enough. Tori stripped herself of the t-shirt she had taken from Patrick's old closet, leaving her in her own tight fitting white tank top and jeans. She crawled from the bed to the duffel bags that had been brought in the night before, and found one with a few clothes in it. She pulled out a pair of dark green boxer shorts, not even caring who they belonged to, and quickly traded them for her jeans. She stuffed her jeans into a separate pocket of the duffel bag, along with her shirt, and then returned to bed.

Patrick was the second to wake that morning. He rolled over onto his back as he felt Tori lying down beside him again, a quiet sigh escaping his lips. His long hair was already plastered to his forehead, and if he never had before, he suddenly regretted the sideburns. He wanted a haircut, he decided, though he wasn't too sure how he was going to go about getting one.

He kicked the blankets off of himself, just as Tori had, then rolled over towards her. She was laying on her back too, staring at the ceiling. Despite the heat, he wanted to touch her, so he gingerly reached one arm out as if to hug her, but instead only splayed his fingers out over her abdomen with his palm flat against her belly. "Morning," he mumbled softly, blinking at her sleepily in the dim light of the auditorium.

Tori lazily lolled her head to the side, looking at Patrick almost pathetically. "Mmm," she hummed, and apparently that was the most she could manage for him before she closed her eyes tightly again as if to fall back asleep. Patrick chuckled at her and moved closer, leaning up on one elbow to hover slightly over her.

"No, wake up," he whispered, kissing the side of her head. "I'm sure it's getting late. We should get up soon." She didn't respond, so Patrick kissed her again, this time on the shell of her ear. "Sweetheart," he mumbled, kissing just below her ear now. "Come on. Wake up." He kissed his way across the edge of her jaw, quickly making his way to her chin, and then he pulled away slightly. Tori furrowed her brow for a short moment, and then turned her head up towards him with a frown. Taking the opportunity, Patrick gently pressed his lips to hers and she responded immediately. When he broke the kiss again to ask, "Are you awake now?" Tori's only response was to knot her fingers in his hair and pull him back to her.

Joe was the third person to wake that morning. He, too, took immediate notice of the heat and pushed his blanket off of himself before rolling onto his back and sighing. The second thing he noticed, was the distinctly wet sound of a slow, but passionate kiss, followed by a quiet giggle that was unmistakably Patrick's. Joe sat up slowly, and was met with the image of Tori playfully pushing Patrick onto his back so that she could have the high ground, just before pressing her lips back to his again. Joe sighed again, groaning loud enough for them to hear him. "If I'm gonna have to wake up to this every morning, we'll have to find the two of you a room for yourselves."

Tori, still smiling slightly, climbed off of Patrick and sat beside him with her legs crossed beneath her. Patrick only sat up, still giggling. "Sorry, Joe," Tori mumbled, her cheeks turning a bit pink.