~ Three ~

I brought the drinks in after spending five minutes gathering my thoughts in the kitchen. Mr Park took a long sip before putting his on the table and turning his attention back to us.

"So now that you've had time to soak in everything I have said so far, we can continue. When you were growing up, there was a rhyme of some kind your parents used to say to you on a regular basis, wasn't there?"

He looked between us and I immediately remembered the song they used to sing to me every night before my birthday.

"Yes, well there was a song they sung to me," I told him and Emy nodded while sipping her drink.

It was the same song for the both of us, we knew it off by heart and I had always thought it was just one of those traditions passed down through the years and both of our families had inherited it.

"They told me it was a song for good luck on my birthday."

"Mine too," said Emy between sips.

We'd never told anyone apart from each other about the luck song, we felt like they'd just make fun of us. So how did Mr Park know about it? Maybe his family used it too.

"Did it go something like this?

May luck be with you,

May happiness too,

Those of harm will stay away,

Peace for a year and all of a day."

He recited it word for word.

"Yeah, that's exactly it, but how do you know it?" Emy asked.

"Is it some kind of old wives tale thing? Nobody else in our lives has ever known about it, much less been able to recite it."

I was intrigued to know now just what was going on, all I knew was that it was something real and something very weird.

"I know about it because I gave it to your parents. It is a spell, not a song for luck and it was designed to keep you safe and hidden from people who wish to find you from our world." He explained it all very calmly, probably so we didn't freak out again.

It was odd but I did always feel somehow safer after my birthday and less so as the year wore on. I would have more bad feelings as it got closer to my birthday, the hairs on the back of my neck would stand on end a lot and I'd feel constantly worried.

"So, if what you say is true and that's a big if, me and Cass are from another planet, there's someone after us and you can do magic?" She said it all in a serious tone yet her eyebrows had arched into a comical expression; I think she was struggling as much as I was with what to think about all of this.

"Another world, Emily not planet, it's on a different plane to this one that's why magic exists there. And yes, this is all true, I know it's hard for you to believe and you don't just yet but you will, in time."

He picked his cup up, draining the rest of his tea. I don't think he wanted it to go cold again. I had lots of questions but my head had them all muddled up in tired thoughts. Emy looked at him incredulously but she was starting to relax into the sofa. We were so tired and the light was starting to come through the curtains. Somehow we had been talking all night about this stuff, it was just one bizarre thing after another.

"I know I've kept you up long enough and again, I'm sorry it happened this way but there is one more matter we must discuss."

Mr Park was more businesslike now and he didn't wait for them to say go ahead.