~ Thirty-two ~

The sleep was dreamless, thankfully and I woke again later to what I guessed was the middle of the night.

My parents were both asleep on a sofa that had appeared from who knew where. I peered around the room and found Kaleb standing by the doorway. He was definitely on guard duty, his body was tense and his eyes focused.

I smiled up at him, "You look like you could use a break," I whispered so I didn't wake my parents.

Kaleb looked over and smiled softly back at me, attempting a quiet whisper. "I can manage, how are you feeling?" He gave a quick look over at my parents but they didn't stir.

"Weak and my leg really hurts, but otherwise... I'm a bit hungry."

He grinned and produced something out of his pocket, crossing the room to give it to me before returning to his post by the door. I looked down at my hand to see a sugary pastry, a little battered but still tasty looking.

"Thank you," I said before nibbling on a corner and smiling at how nice it was. "I can't believe I've been unconscious for three days, what did I miss?"

Kaleb's brow furrowed and he shook his head, "Nothing of interest, a number of security updates and Goof making light of the situation to bolster everyone's spirits."

I knew he was trying to make me feel better and I smiled as though it had worked. I glanced at the chair Blaike had been sat in and realised I had a rare opportunity here.

"Kaleb, I need to ask you something but if you don't feel comfortable then you don't have to respond."

Kaleb raised his brow, "I will try to answer if I can, what is it?"

I pursed my lips after eating a little more pastry, "Blaike wanted to tell me something earlier, something important but he was interrupted by my parents. Do you know what it is and if so, will you tell me?"

I watched a look of shock cross Kaleb's face, he knew something but his next words took my hopes away. "Yes, I do know but it would be best if it came from him."

I frowned, "Does it have anything to do with the argument you two had back at the house?"

I was wondering now if the 'people' they had been referring to included me and Blaike felt like somehow it had happened.

Kaleb looked a little flustered, "You overheard that? I cannot imagine what you must have thought but as I said, you should speak with Blaike about it."

I sighed but I knew not to push it any further, Kaleb would not break no matter how much I tried.

"Actually, I hate to admit it but for a moment I thought Blaike might have been a traitor, or he was thinking about doing something really bad."

The shock on Kaleb's face was so evident he forgot to whisper, "How could you think such a thing?"

My parents stirred in their sleep and Kaleb winced, but luckily they didn't wake up.

"Because you were talking about doing a lot of damage and mentioned hurting people, I couldn't help thinking something bad. Which made me think of the prophecy and our involvement, I don't know but I dismissed it, until tonight and that Dark Horror..."

I trailed off when the Blaike disguise flashed in my head, I felt so guilty for thinking he could be a traitor that nausea flared up and I put the pastry down on the bed.

I shuddered and Kaleb's expression softened.

"I am sure a conversation like that could conjure many scenarios but never, ever would it be of betrayal. I promise you that."