~ Thirty-seven ~

If Emy had been an alarm clock I would have tapped her on the head and turned her to snooze before going back to sleep.

She was sat beside me shaking me awake and I groaned so loudly she chuckled.

"Come on, Cass, first day back at training we're gonna need some breakfast. We can't be late, the whole world is counting on us."

She purposely rolled over onto me and I couldn't stop laughing while trying to push her off.

"Please don't remind me. Although, breakfast sounds good, the training could do with starting an hour later."

She rolled back over and sat up, "Time waits for no man. Come on, up, washed and dressed then I'll race you to breakfast, get the blood flowing."

She jumped up off the bed and I turned over so I could see her properly.

"It will wait for a woman if I tell it to, and I'm not racing you but I suppose I better get up."

I forced myself to get out of bed and she disappeared off to her suite.

It didn't take long before we were walking down to the dining room for breakfast; fresh faced, hair tied back, ready for whatever they had to throw at us. Merkell was sat at the table eating when we arrived, there was nobody else to be seen and no other places were set apart from ours. Merkell stood up as we walked to our places and I narrowed my eyes but said nothing.

"Good morning, Emily, Cassandra, I hope you are well rested for today."

Emy and I grabbed a few different items from the table for breakfast.

"I got some sleep, but I would have liked a bit longer."

"I slept fine, where is everyone?" Emy asked with a hand to her mouth, covering she food she was chewing on.

Merkell arched a brow but must have decided not to give her a lecture. "They are busy with their own matters and in the event that no-one has told you, your first training lesson will be with Blaike and Kaleb. Then, once you have had something a little more substantial to eat, you will begin your magic lessons with me."

I almost choked on the oat cereal I was eating. "I thought we weren't starting that until tomorrow?"

I was excited to start learning magic but I wanted more time to prepare myself, maybe with a night of reading books about magic. I knew from my very brief experience that it would be tiring and probably complicated, having some extra knowledge could only help.

Merkell sipped something out of a cup before he answered. "That was the initial plan but after speaking with your parents, I have decided it is much more urgent that we start now. After everything that has happened since you both arrived here, it would be better that you learned magic above all else. You will still have your other lessons before you ask, but this will be much more important to learn."

I wasn't sure if he was just biased or he really meant it, I just knew that I wanted as many skills as possible before I even went near a Dark Horror again.

"Okay, cool," Emy said quite plainly and went back to her breakfast.

I raised my brow at how easily she took it, maybe because she didn't know what magic was like yet or maybe it was just Emy being Emy. I tried to shrug it off and looked back to Merkell.

"Will we need anything for your lesson?"

"Just make sure you are rested and have eaten something... magic can be very taxing on the body, as well as the mind."

"Yeah, I remember," I admitted a little worriedly and of course, Merkell picked up on it.

"It will not be like the last time you used it, Cassandra. That was instinctual and pain induced, you were on the verge of losing consciousness and your body took over. This time you will be in full control and I will be there to guide you. I am sure your last experience brings with it painful memories but I hope to rectify that with our lessons."