Chapter 3

After the five of us got to the apartment we began to split up as each of us got to our floor number. We just left Jax on the second floor, where he lives. We all continue to trudge up the steps, silently waiting to see the ‘Floor: 3’ sign. I looked up and saw it where it always is, on the wall, by the door.”Ughhhh!” Kat complained, “I hate stairs!”

                 I looked over at her, amused, “You live on the third floor Kat! I’ve still got 2 more!” Usually I wouldn’t complain like this because of what Gang Watchers might see. Then they would tell their Gang leader that I’m weak and I would never get into that gang. I don’t care about them now because we’re all alone on the stairs.

                Finally we reach the top steps of the Third floor. Zac and Kat called their good byes through the closing door that leads to the hallway. The door slammed shut from its weight and it seemed too quiet now after that loud bang. Ty and I stood there, alone. He slowly looked away from the door to me and grinned- a pure grin of excitement.

His eyes looked daring as he said, “Race you to my room Camie!” And with that, Ty took off. I stood there for a moment, a smile on my face. The moment passed and I chased after him, competitive adrenaline moving through my veins.

                By the time we got to his room we were both hunched over, hands on our knees, trying to get our breaths back. “I… win” I tried to say, still trying to breathe normally.

“Not… a chance.” Ty says. We argue for a few minutes while we try to get our heart rates back down to normal. Finally Ty’s mom tells him to get out of the hallway, so we say goodbye until tomorrow.

                I walk down the familiar hallway of the fourth floor. Above me, I saw the hole that led to my floor. I slowed down, considering going up. There was some strange feeling inside me telling me I shouldn’t go up, so I kept walking.

                Right before I got to the stairs I passed a window. All I could see darkness. The sun has already set, I realize.  My heart started to race as panic spread through my body, waking up my nerves. The gangs come out at the setting of the sun, I shouldn’t be out now. I opened the door leading to the stairs and sprinted for all my worth to the next level. Skipping every other step, I could hear my heart beat in my ears and feel the pain in my legs as they pulled me up. Ella will start panicking; I’ve never been late before. 

                I get to Floor 5 faster than ever before and tore open the door that led to my hallway. The hallway was clear, to my great relief. If anyone was there, they would be in a gang. The, they would gladly Sting and kidnap me. Only in my apartment am I safe because anyone who lives in an apartment is either already been in a gang or they haven’t had TDG yet. To a gang that means I am like free property; any gang could ambush me and take me for theirs. My apartment room is the only safety after sunset.

                I took a step forward, in the hallway now. Looking around, I try to be as silent as possible while I creep towards my apartment. The old wood in the floor creaked with every step I took. My heartbeat thundered in my ears. I passed room 511… 513… 515. I could now see my door up ahead, room 521.

               I reached into my back right pocket of my torn jeans and felt the cold metal of the apartment key. Quickly I grabbed the key, looked around to check if anyone was behind me, and seeing no one, took off into a sprint. Room 517 and 519 blurred past me so I slid to a stop in front of my door.

                   Unlocking the door was a simple task considering how hard my hands were shaking. I threw open the door, ran inside and slammed the door behind me. Trying to calm myself, I leaned against the closed door. I could already feel my muscles relaxing.