Chapter 5

From afar I see the large arena TDG is held in. I can already see the worn red paint on the walls from here, making it appear pink. Next to it I can see a couple more buildings, probably dorms and some offices. That’s where we’ve been told to go; one of the offices near the front with the number 100 on it. Surrounding these and the arena is a tall gate with barbed wire wrapped around the top.

We walk through the open doors of the gates, feeling something twist in my gut; it doesn’t feel right in here. I feel Ty’s grip tighten on my shoulder as I knew it would when we get close to the arena. I should feel nervous too but I know it wouldn’t help me. I try not to think of the things that will go on in there as I head towards the offices.

By the time we get to the main office, almost everyone else is there already. Even Jax is here when he’s usually late. I walk over to him, standing in the corner of the room with Zac and Kat. Ty comes and stands close to me, almost protective-like. I look over at Zac who seems surprisingly completely zoned out. It’s not normal for him to be so unfocused which makes me wonder if it’s a strategy. Kat and Jax are arguing about something, Kat swinging her arms around for emphasis. I smile to myself for a second while I look at my friends. I glance away from them and see 30 others in the room with us. The smile slips off my face but I hold my composure, hoping to look strong.

“What are you doing Camie? You look like a freaking drill sergeant!” Ty says, laughing at his own joke. I slouch my shoulders, guess that didn’t work, I think to myself.

 Up at the front of the room a stout man taps on a microphone, repeating “testing” into the microphone to see if it works. People move around nervously in the room as the man stares us down. Obviously content with the microphone, he begins to talk.

“Hello month of October contestants!” His voice booms loudly throughout the room, but none of us mind considering the stress we’re already feeling. He pauses longer than needed and spreads his arms out, expecting an applause or anything for that matter.

“Welcome to The Deciding Games!” He yells into the mike, still hoping for something from us.

“Fine, we’ll get right into it. The bunkers are separated at random, 3-4 people per room and 10 bunkers overall. The list of who you are roomed with are posted outside this room on the door. No visiting other dorms, if you want to talk to someone then do it here in this office. We will give you tonight to get settled and tomorrow morning you will see a note on your door. That will be your schedule for TDG… got it so far? Ah yes, I am Mr.Shar by the way.” Mr.Shar said, looking around the room for someone to dare say no.

I look around with him, only to see multiple groups of people. They all hug around a specific person, most likely their leader. I turn around to see our group doing the same thing around Jax. I take a slow step away while smiling at the foolishness of it all.

From across the room my eyes meet his, a boy. His green eyes weren’t dull, but bright like new paint on a white back ground. I got lost in them. Long brown hair hung around his face and carried down to his shoulders. This was all nice, but he was alone with his back slouched. His eyes told a different story than his body language; energy sparked in those eyes, which paired with the mischievous smile he had on his face. He looked like he knew something he shouldn’t know. That’s when I realized he was staring back, the smile was for me.

I tore my eyes away and tried to focus on the microphone man. He had began talking again while I was lost in green paint.

“-Watching you all the times in the Games. Details will be given on the specific activities later. TDG will last 8 days. 3 challenges. Gang leaders, after watching the footage of each contestant, will debate on you. Good bye and good luck.”

I wait until all the other contestants walk out of the room until I walk out with my group. Mr. Pretty eyes had already left… still alone.

“Hey Kat, you nervous?” Jax asked smiling, he already knew the answer.

“Are you kidding me?!” she exclaimed, “This is gunna be the time of my life!”

We all laughed at her, glad to laugh at something after all the seriousness of TDG. When we get to the back of the door we see the list that the man was talking about. We all lean close to find who we are roomed with. I scan the list to look for any familiar names.

“There!” I yell, pointing at my name. Jax and Kat move away with their hands over their ears.

“Gosh, right here you know.” Jax tell me while Kat shakes her head in disappointment.

“Sorry you guys,” I say apologetically. “but I found who I’m with!” I yell again, remembering whati was excited about before.

“Please stop.” Kat says seriously now. Knowing how easily annoyed she is when I mock her- I laugh. She playfully pushes me out of the way.

“Hey I wanna see who I’m with! All I saw was my name!” I say, trying to push my way back to get to be in front of the list.

“Here you are,” Ty says, pointing out my name near the bottom of the list. “Hmmm it starts with your name… then you are with Kat-“

“Yes! I’m with someone I know!” Kat squeals out.

Ty, Zac, and JAx all look at here like she’s crazy, clearly annoyed. She puts her hands up in defense as I laugh at them all.

I tell Ty to continue with my room list. He turns back to the sheet of paper and scrolls his finger along the names until he comes to mine.

“Camie, Kat, Cayla, and some dude named Bren.” I can hear the disappointment in his voice, at what I don’t know.