Fifteen

Chapter 15

I grimaced with my head down, before saying hi to them. "Lucas!" he chirped annoyingly, walking over. The other three looked at me for an introduction, but I couldn't bear to introduce such an obnoxious man.

"I'll catch up with you guys," I said briefly, waving as they left. Calum was the last to leave, watching me with a hawk eye. When I was sure they'd gone, I looked at the blonde-haired douche. "Why are you in front of my school?" I forced through clenched teeth.

He chuckled, stepping a bit closer. "I just came to pick my lil bro up, you don't need to sound so angry."

"You're not my brother and you never will be."

"No, that's not entirely true – I could be your brother, if I married Jack or Ben."

"You're sick. Leave, please."

"Aw c'mon. I came all the way here from Perth to see my little Lucas – can't we even talk normally?"

At that point, I got mad. "No, we fucking can't!" A few people turned to see what the commotion was about. "Why, you ask? Well, for one, you fucking ruined me with your stupid trials and experiments. Number two, you took advantage of a fucking ten year old for your own gross fantasies and number three, you're a dickhead who deserves to rot in hell."

"Whoa now, that's a little harsh isn't it-"

Before he could reply, I kneed him in the crotch, sending him doubled over on the concrete. "Fuck off, Lloyd. And stay away from me whilst you're here. If you show up in front of my school again, I will fucking report you for being a fucking paedophile because news flash! That's what you are."

I clenched my jaw and stormed off, full of angst and also satisfaction that I hadn't been so weak that time. I needed to forget him so badly and if he was always there rubbing himself in my face then I couldn't. Hopefully, this time he got the message.

It didn't take me long to catch up with the others. "What was that all about?" Calum asked. I shook my head.

"Nothing. He was just looking for trouble."

"Who?" Michael queried, hands holding onto his backpack like a little kid.

"Just... a childhood friend."

Calum looked at me. I knew he knew I was lying. I knew he knew that Lloyd was my ex-boyfriend, so I was extremely thankful that he didn't bring it up – because then, the effort I'd made into being asexual would all have gone to waste.

We stopped for ice cream on the way, and Ashton also picked up some beach supplies from the store next door, eyeing a straw mat and a bucket and spade, to which I rolled my eyes because we weren't kids anymore. He saw my grimace and pouted. "Listen, you don't have to play with them, so why is it such a big deal?"

"Because I have to be seen with you guys," I mumbled, sighing and waiting for them to pay.

We finally got to the beach at around four-thirty and there were a few people already there sunbathing and swimming. Life guards were at certain points on the long beach and numerous kids building sandcastles. We found an empty spot and set up our stuff – a woven piece of fabric with wooden sticks you could insert into the sand so we could change, and the mat they'd just bought for us to sit on without getting sand in our pants.

The mat didn't really cover our private parts very well as Michael's family had bought it a number of years ago and we were all very tall, so we had to crouch in order to not be seen. Not that we had anything to be ashamed of, necessarily. (*winks*)

Calum and Ashton ran into the water as soon as they'd changed, leaving the sleepyhead Michael to lay down and sunbathe with me. I put on my sunglasses and got a book out, lying down on my front and perching on my elbows. Half an hour later, Michael was snoring heavily and I couldn't concentrate anymore, so I put the book down and looked for the other two.

Ashton was holding Calum up and they were kissing in the water, Calum's muscular arms wrapped around his neck. Why did it hurt so much to watch them? I couldn't bear to fall in love – the last time I did, I was only hurt by it. Who said it wouldn't happen again?

I sat there, thinking about everything that had been going on the past few days.

Lloyd was back in town, with his mum. He had the potential to come over every day if he wanted to, though I was pretty sure he wouldn't.

Calum was now with Ashton, and probably very happy about it considering how much they kissed.

Ashton was polyamorous and for all I knew, he was doing Michael on the side as well.

I didn't notice they'd come back until Calum sat down on my stomach. I grunted, as his hand jabbed me in the rib. "What the heck..."

"You were staring at us this whole time, you weirdo," he giggled, not getting off. I tried pushing him but honestly, the sun had made me so tired that I could hardly move.

"I was thinking, not staring," I mumbled.

"Sure, whatever you say..."

He had little water droplets all over him, and without thinking I brushed one from his abdomen. He looked at me with surprise, as this was something I never did. I averted my gaze and put my hand back down on the mat beside me... goddammit, the butterflies were back. He got off, keeping his eyes on me and went over to Ashton, who had towels in his bag. It was now nearly six and my tummy was growling at me to be fed.

"When are we leaving?" I asked. Michael opened his eyes, waking up. Ashton handed him the sun cream as he'd been in direct sunlight for quite some time and Ashton didn't want anyone getting burnt.

Ashton squinted, looking over. "Let's take a nap first; it's such nice weather that it'd be a shame to go home now."

Calum noticed that I was evidently starving and got his wallet from his bag, holding out a hand to me. "C'mon, let's go get something to eat. You're hungry, aren't you?"

***

I want a friend like Calum Hood

vote+comment for a virtual calum hood (with extra tattoos bc why not)

kimmy xx