Part 8

Peridot, hearing the conversation, released her laughs at Pearl's remarks on the game. She then hit pause, walked downstairs, and headed to the door.

"Oh, hi Peridot. Where are you going?" Steven called. She paused.

"I'll just be at the nearby field to study some autotrophs," Peridot said.

"Okay," Steven replied. Peridot smiled and left.

Meanwhile, by the cherry blossom tree, Pearl and Amethyst admired the view.

"So, what did you want to talk to me about?" Pearl asked, the warm afternoon glow lighting up her alabaster face.

"Huh? Oh, yeah," Amethyst said nervously, watching a delicate pink petal fall gracefully. "There's just been something I wanted to tell you for quite a while now..."

"And what might that be?" Pearl said. A moment of silence passed.

"I should say it," Amethyst thought, "Just do it." In spite of her determination, she was nervous. She could feel the fear and anticipation coursing through her. Amethyst's mind told her to speak, but she felt like running anytime now. "Ugh!" she thought, "What's making this so hard anyway?" She took a deep breath (even though gems didn't need to breathe).

"Pearl," she started, "I know I should've said this a long time ago. And I know it sounds crazy..."

"Yes?"

"I like you."

Another moment of quietness passed. A breeze gently rustled the grass.

"What?" Pearl said in shock.

"I like you, okay? And I'm sorry for everything I've messed up in, and at the same time, thank you. For putting up with me and forgiving me, and being a really great friend all these years. You inspire me, Pearl. I know we fight sometimes, but at the end of the day, it just makes me happy that we always make up. I accept you for who you are, and I know you're not perfect, but thanks, and I hope I can help you too. I care about you, Pearl. And is it wrong that I kinda think you're hot? I'm in love with you. I like you," Amethyst told her.