Part 9

"A-Amethyst, I..." Pearl stammered. For a moment, she didn't know what to say. She closed her pale blue eyes, and opened them again to look into the deep violet ones of Amethyst. It felt like an eternity, and the air was thick with tension although accompanied by a slight, pleasant warmth. "I love you," Pearl finally managed to say. "As a friend." Time seemed to stop.

"It's fine," Amethyst said softly.

"Really?" Pearl asked, concern lacing her voice. "I mean, I'm terribly sorry. For just... that. But I don't hate you or anything, really, I'm sorry. Amethyst- "

"Yeah, I get it," Amethyst responded. "It's cool." Pearl shut her mouth, slightly unconvinced, but even so, unsure of what to do or say. Amethyst then ran off to the nearest warp pad and left. Pearl sadly glanced at it, then gazed at the glittering sea. "Rose," she thought.

Back at the house, Peridot stood excitedly in front of the warp pad. Suddenly, it activated. Extending a small bouquet of violet and white flowers, Peridot smiled. "Congratulations! I'm so happy fo- Garnet?" Garnet was mildly surprised.

"Peridot! What are you doing here?"

"Um, nothing?" Peridot grinned sheepishly. Garnet adjusted her visor and looked into the future for a few moments. An awkward silence passed.

"I see," she said finally. Garnet walked to her room. Peridot was confused.

"Oh well," Peridot thought.

Amethyst went to the Kindergarten. She walked around for a while. "It's not Pearl's fault she rejected me," she thought. "Maybe it's mine. Because I am a fault." She sat down on a nearby rock. "I knew I shouldn't have told her." She stayed there for a while and felt the familiar silence and somewhat comfortingly cold air around her. "No, I'm not going to think I'm a fault. I'm not going to hate myself again. I'll still choose to be happy. Because she still thinks I'm a friend, and because she's the reason why I chose to be happy in the first place. And I don't blame her for what happened, but at the same time, maybe I don't have to blame anyone," she thought. Amethyst stood up and left to the warp pad.

The warp pad at the house activated again. "It has to be them now!" Peridot thought excitedly. "Congratulations!" She said again, holding out the flowers "I'm really happy for you!" She inched closer and closer with a giddy smile until she suddenly realized Pearl's absence and Amethyst's somewhat doleful expression.
"Uh... Amethyst? Where's Pearl? Hey, what happened?"

"Not much. She just thinks I'm a friend. That's all," she said. Peridot froze on the spot for a second.

"Oh." The only sound heard then was that of Steven upstairs oohing at the latest book of the No Home Boys series. Amethyst shrugged. "Aw, that must've been... sad," Peridot awkwardly said. "Yeah. I feel your pain! It could've been great!" She ripped up the flowers, letting the pieces fall carelessly to the ground. "So... what now?"

"I don't even know," Amethyst said. She went to sit on the couch, as Peridot followed to do likewise.