Field Trip Fun

Justin's POV

"Ben!" I yell up the stairs to him "You ready? We need to leave!" For it being his field trip you'd think he would be more excited.

The girls stand near the door; Alexia worried about being late, and Kay excited that she might miss part of her first period class if he doesn't start moving.

"Mom is going to kill us if we're late!" Lexie complains, as if I don't already know this "Let's just leave him. He doesn't need to be there this early."

"You're mother is going to kill me whether I get you guys there an hour early or an hour late because of the whole stove accident." I sigh walking back over to the steps "Bentley! If you aren't down here in a minute we're leaving!"

Thankfully, a few seconds later he is running down the steps. The kids run out to the car with me following them.

"Dad can we get food?" Kay asks as she climbs into the seat next to me "We're already going to be late at this point."

Just as I'm about to answer her, Jen calls and it comes through the car radio.

"Hey, you guys at the school yet?"

"No!" Lexie exclaims "Ben had to make us late!"

"What do you mean you aren't at the school? Justin!"

"Babe, I got this under control. They might be a few minutes late. That's all." I know she'll just yell more if I don't hang up, so I hang up, and drive as fast as I can getting them to school on time. Lexie is first, and she runs right out of the car, making it in the doors by just a few seconds. Turns out they won't be late.

I pull into the parking lot of Kay and Ben's school, and we walk in as fast as we can. Kay complains and tries to make up an excuse for why she should be able to go home.

"You're only here for two hours anyway," I nudge her playfully in the direction of her locker "I'm sure when grandma picks you up she'll have something fun for you to do that will get me in trouble." I hand her some money so they can go out later, and watch as she slams her locker shut in defeat and walks into her first period class.

Ben starts pulling me in the direction of his classroom the minute the door shuts. We end up making it just as the bell rings, and he meets up with his friends while I go up to the teacher to see what I need to do. He gives me a list of the kids in my group, so I look to see that I have a group of 5 13 year old boys.

I walk back over to the side of the room where all the other parents are. One of the mothers gives me a dirty look and says something to the one next to her about me almost being late. I chose to ignore it and stand next to the only other dad here, who happens to be one of Ben's friends parents. We talk for awhile before we're all sent out to sit on the bus.

"Dad!" Ben picks up a bunch of fake worms and creatures "Can we get these? To scare mom, Kay and Lexie?"

"Of course!" I proudly admire his thinking and pick up boxes of dried bugs "We can pay them to try these."

"You're so lucky," one of the kids in our groups tells Ben "My mom would probably have a heart attack if I brought that into the house."

"His will too. That's why we record it secretly because of how funny it is." I hand the kid a fake spider "Put this near the sink. It'll be hysterical."

We walk through the rest of the gift shop, and I give all the kids ideas about different funny tricks until it's time for us to meet up. They all get excited about the tricks and can't wait to try them. Especially Ben, since he now knows that Jen will be home sometime tomorrow.