12: The Birds & The Bees Nest Talk

The following day, i found myself waking up for school despite the fact that I had only three hours of sleep. But I could seem to care the slightest bit because as I was pouring myself some cereal into a bowl, I was smiling uncontrollably. 

My family was just staring at me with confusion as I continued to eat, but it was until my father cleared his throat that I finally looked up to meet their gazes. "Yeah?" i asked, sipping my orange juice.

My dad narrowed his eyes at me at me from across the table, laying his coffee down as he did. He was looking at me like I did some sort of unspeakable crime because he looked sort of angry. "What time did you come home last night, Isabella Marie?" He asked, using my real name. That was it. I knew I was in deep shit. 

"Um... almost four in the morning--"

"Irene. Isaac," my mom interjected, sternly. "Go get dress now. We need a few minutes to talk to your sister."

Irene and Isaac immediately turned their heads in my direction and shot me mischievous grins. "Ha ha," they shouted, pointing at me. "You're in trouble! I hope they take away your car!"

I stuck my tongue out just as they ran out of the kitchen.

For a few moments, there was silence in the room and I knew I was about to get a good hour lecture about coming home late and whatnot. They were probably going to talk about the amount of psychopaths there were at night and how if I hadn't come home at the expected time that I would have probably died. I was even expecting them to go into another lecture about hanging out with a boy for an extended period of time, talking about how inappropriate it was for me to do such a thing when I had curfew. I was expected so many things to come out of their mouths, things that I thought I would never hear them say since I rarely ever did such a thing, but the two of them only exchanged glances to one another from across the table before breaking out into the same mischievous grins like my siblings did. They then looked over to me and teasingly asked in sync, "So how was your date last night, huh?" 

I blinked. "W-What?" I stammered.

My dad wiggled his eyebrows. "How was your date?" He repeated.

Heat immediately started to rise to my cheeks as I quickly shook my head. "It wasn't a date!" I insisted. "It was for our art project!"

My mom laughed as she patted my hand. "Then explain to us why you're smiling like the Joker right now," she said.

"I-I don't know!" I retorted. "I'm just in a really good mood today!"

My dad grinned as he took a sip of his coffee as he looked over to mom who was grinning like a maniac. "I bet you that Nolan guy made a move and kissed her last night, don't you think?"

My eyes widened. "Dad!"

"What?" My dad turned to look at me and he looked genuinely confused.

"Aren't you suppose to be threatening to pull out the gun on a guy who shows the slightest bit of interest in me?" I asked, leaning forward. "Why are you acting as if you're all of a sudden fine with the fact that a guy just kissed your daughter? I swear you were being all strict with time with Nolan last night."

My dad laughed. "So he did kiss you?" He asked, ignoring my questions.

I rolled my eyes. "Okay, he did but--"

"Oh honey!" My mom cried out as she jumped out of her seated and walked towards me to start hugging me. "Your first love! This is big, really big. You should tell us more about this Nolan guy and invite him over again sometime. Oh my goodness. My baby girl's growing up. Next thing you know, she'll be getting married--"