13: The Not-So Great Attempt At The Art Of Flirtation

The week went by relatively fast and soon enough, March break came along, and so did my allergies. Through out the entire time Nolan and I had been working on the mural every day after school, I was sneezing like there was no tomorrow. I was actually surprise an earthquake didn't occur. That, and I was also glad I didn't put my snot all over the brick wall. That wouldn't have been cute.

As my hands glided over the brick wall with the black spray paint, I could hear the sound of Nolan muttering a curse under his breath from beside me. I was currently working on finishing the backdrop of the Toronto skyline while Nolan worked on the bright-lighted buildings. "I ran out of red spray paint," he murmured. He cursed again and said, "Maybe we should call it a day. It's Friday. You should be hanging out with your friends."

I stopped pressing down on the nozzle and looked at Nolan, and smiled. "Are you not my friend?" I asked, teasingly.

Nolan raised an eyebrow at me. "I don't know," he replied, winking. "Am I?"

My face started to turn red as I turned back to face the wall and Nolan immediately started laughing. "I don't know why you get so embarrassed when I start flirting with you. You're always making the first move, you know?" He playfully nudged my shoulders and I slapped his arm.

Rolling my eyes, I set the spray can down and turned around to grab my backpack. "I'm not flirting," I insisted. "I don't even know how to--" I turned around and Nolan was already standing in front of me with a boyish grin on his face.

"Yeah, you are flirting," Nolan stated, chuckling. "You're just not aware of it."

I crossed my arms across my chest like a stubborn child and looked directly into Nolan's eyes. "I-I don't even like you," I said, holding my chin up high as if I was actually telling the truth. 

Nolan narrowed his eyes at me. "Coming from the girl who said I should be a freaking model--"

"It was a compliment!"

"A really, really nice compliment--"

"Can a girl not making a compliment to a guy without him assuming something?" I nearly cried out. 

Nolan let out a soft laugh. "You're cute when you're flustered--"

"I am not!"

Nolan laughed but just as he was about to say something, somebody cleared their throat. Almost immediately, both our heads turned in the direction of the main street and we found a tall lady somewhere to her early forties standing with her arms folded across her chest. She looked like the type of woman who had some sort of authority; she was wearing a black blazer over a neat white shirt and black dress pants paired with red pumps. Her long chestnut hair was pulled into a bun but strands were already coming out from the long day. But it was her greyish blue eyes that stood out the most, and it made her look even more intimidating.

Nolan's eyes widened as he fully turned his body away from me and towards the woman. "Mom!" He said, genuinely surprised. "W-What are you doing here?" It was the first time I ever heard Nolan with embarrassment in his voice; he was usually rather calm.

I looked over to the lady and I immediately recognized the similiraties: the defined cheekbones, the strong chin, the same alluring grey eyes, and the same pale skin. 

So that's where he gets his attractiveness from... 

All of a sudden, Nolan's mother broke into a smile, eliminating any sense of coldness written on her face moments ago. "I just thought I should stop by to pick you up since the art studio is a few blocks away from here," she answered, putting her hands to her side. She then began making her way towards us.