17: Never Let A Drunk Friend Go Home Alone

"I did what?" Nolan asked with wide eyes as the vehicle stopped in front of a red light. He then turned his head towards me and narrowed his eyes. "I never slept with Emma George. I mean, she kind of flirted with me in media class last year but that was the furthest she got with me, actually. That's it. Nothing else."

I nodded. "Green light."

"Right."

Nolan pushed on the gas pedal and sighed, but he didn't say anything else.

"You do realize I don't believe what Emma told me, right?" I assured Nolan

Nolan let out another frustrated sigh. "I know, but there's so much rumours about me going around at our stupid school and I-I really don't want you getting the wrong impression of me anymore. I mean, I've worked this hard to convince you that I'm not some out of control delinquent, so I don't want you thinking I'm some playboy now," he explained. He then looked at me from the corner of his eyes. "So you don't believe what Emma said? She is your friend after all..."

I shrugged. "I probably would have probably believed her if we weren't in such a bad place in our friendship at the moment," I admitted. "but then again, if we were in a good place, I still wouldn't have believed her because 1) if you were really a player, you'd be carrying a condom in your pocket or something,  2) you would have used your eyes to seduce me instead of covering them up with your mop of a hair, and 3) you would have already gotten inside my pants by now."

Nolan looked at me and shot me a sly smile. "I got my haircut though," he stated. "Does that mean I'm going to try to get inside your pants now?"

I rolled my eyes. "You've yet to seduce me, though."

"Is that a challenge?" Nolan smirked.

"No. It's a statement."

Nolan laughed out loud as he made a sharp turn. "Well, I'm glad you don't think negatively about me anymore," he said. "But why bring up what Emma said to me if you don't believe it?"

"I'm telling you about it now because if she starts flirting with you, you know why," I replied.

Nolan nodded. "So what is the deal with your friend?" He asked, keeping his gaze on the road. "What is she doing at the bus station at this time of night?"

I sighed as hundreds of scenarios started to pop up into my thoughts about my friend's reason for being at the bus station alone. I had a gut feeling that it had something to do with a boy possibly leaving her there and even though I knew it was wrong to assume such a thing, I couldn't help but think that was exactly the case. Emma's main reason for crying the past few months, after all, had always been over boys and boys only. 

When Nolan finally pulled up across the street from the bus station, I immediately caught sight of a familiar brunette sitting alone on one of the benches. She had her head down in shame, and I could tell by the way her body was trembling that she had been crying for quite sometime already.

"Ugh, maybe you should stay here," I said to Nolan as I looked in his direction. 

Nolan half-smiled. "Girl talk, I assume?" 

"Yeah. Basically."

Nolan nodded. "Take your time," he assured me.

I gave Nolan a small smile before finally exiting the truck, and making my way down the narrow street. When my foot finally touched the pavement of the bus station, Emma's head immediately snapped up in surprise. It took her a moment or so to recognize that it was her best friend since first grade standing in front of her, but when the realization hit, she was the first one to break into tears and run up to me to give me a hug.