Van Der Built

I walked through the big double doors, flanked by two bell boys in burgundy uniforms and gasped in awe at the hotel lobby. The walls were adorned with gold carvings with various different paintings hanging on them. The lobby was floored with cream marble and decorated with mahogany coffee tables and chairs with burgundy plush pillows, the same colour as the bell boys uniform. Various magazine and newspaper were arranged neatly on the coffee tables. I felt as if I had stepped into another world. It was one that suited my personality perfectly. Vintage, yet classy and a splash of modern.

"Do you like it, I picked this hotel myself" Luke said turning to face me as three Porters took the cases and loaded them onto the gold rack to be carried to our room.

"I love it"! I cried clapping with glee.

"I'm glad you like it" Luke smiled to himself as we headed towards the check-in desk.

"Hello and how can we help you" the receptionist asked with a polite smile.

"We have a reservation" I say barely able to contain my excitement.

"Name please" the receptionist asked a bit concerned with my behaviour.

"Blair Van Der Built" I told her.

The name Van Der Built is from England, where my father and his parents were living before he moved to California. He lived in L.A as a business interpreter when he met my mother. A surfer who was travelling the coast of California at the time. They fell in love and that's when they both went and travelled around the coast of America. They eventually got married and settled down where they met, California.

"Ah you're Blair Van Der Built, we knew your father quite well and as you are his daughter you shall be treated as a VIP, just like your father was" the receptionist said in her funny English accent.

"You knew my father well"?

"Yes he used to stay all the time before he moved to America".

"Oh" was all I managed.

"Shall we have someone escort you to your room"? The receptionist asked us, handing us the keys.

"No thankyou we will be fine" Luke answered taking the keys from her hand.

"Shall we see our room"? Luke asked leading me towards the elevator.