Realms of Gold

REALMS OF GOLD

by greenleafT

Hallo again!

This week we're looking at scary books by young writers on Wattpad. First, IronicIcons tells us about the background to her chilling novel, 'Mad House'.

The inspiration I had to write and create Mad House was actually a lot of life experience. Sure, I don't have many years on me, but that doesn't mean I don't know anything about this world. This world can be very cruel and unforgiving. At times it can feel as though it's swallowing you. That it's you against it.

The main character, Jackie, is going through this kind of fight. She learns that everything she has known is a lie and her trust is put to the test. Although along her journey to fight for what she believes in, she finds that trust isn't this fairy tale idea and finds out who she really is.

I think that it's really everyone's goal in life to find out who they really are.

Thanks, IronicIcons. Life in the 'Mad House' is... Well, please read the book and find out!

Ironic also writes poems, and I think they're very good indeed. This week, I'll just mention two of them. I'll look at more of her work next week, when poetry is the main topic.

These are from her collection, 'Poems'. 'Fly away' is about a 'little girl' and a 'young lady shivering in a corner'. They are going to escape from an unhappy life - from 'chains'. Here are some lines:

'Fly away from everything

everything good, bad and bittersweet.'

They make their break for freedom:

'fly away, don't dare turn around'.

The next poem, 'Skeleton Key' is about mistrust and wariness:

'A key that unlocks her mind

another unlocks her heart

she hid the keys where no one would find'

But she does live in hope. And I hope that you will kindly read IronicIcon's poems, vote and comment.

Now, I'd like to introduce Ashwentaylor, who will tell us about her vampire novel.

New Blood has been an extremely long-term project for me. I've had this story in my mind for about four years, but I did not even realize it. One night, I was looking through rough drafts of stories I had never even come close to finishing, and that's when I saw it- six of my unfinished stories were similar. I began piecing them together that night and uploaded the first chapter about a week later.

In all honesty though, I made a few changes. Josh's character was originally a werewolf, but the more I thought about it, it didn't feel right for him. Deciding Josh should be a vampire instead of a werewolf cured my writer's block which gave me faith that it was the right direction for my book. Also, New Blood was originally a love story but I had a weird dream about red eyes that made me change the story's plot line. I'm sure as I continue to write, I'll change my mind about other things.

So I bet you're wondering what New Blood is about exactly. Well, the main character, Jordan, had a sister who was murdered. Jordan's parents send her to live with her aunt to give her a fresh start. But her life gets really shaken up when she turns into a vampire and the nightmare becomes reality - her new friends are being murdered. As there have been previous conflicts among the teens in the Black Woods Coven, the murderer could very well be one of their own. Trust is broken, along with some bones, and no one feels safe. And in the middle of the lurking danger, Jordan is faced with bigger fears- trusting a man and even scarier for her, falling in love.

The random unfinished stories have become the beginning of a series, New Blood. Though it's ongoing and has yet to be edited, it is just the first book in a series-to-come. I'm looking forward to  writing the second book as soon as this one is completed.

Thank you, Ashwentaylor and IronicIcons. The readers and I appreciate your contributions to our magazine.

It looks as though both authors are writing about trust. Their characters have learned to be wary. They are placed in difficult and dangerous situations in which it would be helpful to find a reliable friend.

Next week, I'll be taking a look at poetry. There'll be a contribution from one of Wattpad's most popular poets, OwainGlyn. IronicIcons has also kindly permitted me to write more about her work.

Goodbye for now!