Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

In the moments after the Guard's shout, everything seemed to happen in slow motion, or at least it seemed that way to William. The first thing that happened were the people around them all turning to stare at them, shouting to each other as they tried to catch a glimpse of whoever this seemingly normal couple were. The second thing that happened were about a dozen more Guards, appearing as if from nowhere, at either end of the row of stalls they were currently stood in, blocking them in.

He didn't really notice the third thing that happened until he felt himself being pulled down to the side, beads and material and livestock and fruit all cascading around him as Abey dragged him through a gap in the row of stalls that hadn't been there before.

Abey hadn't seen things in slow motion. She had seen them with crystal clear clarity, and had acted a split-second later, knowing any hesitation could lose them their chance of getting away.

Without looking to see what she was grabbing, she had quickly jumped up and seized the top of the wooden frame of the nearest stall, pulling it down and causing the entire stall to topple forward, sending it's various wares tumbling to the ground.

She quickly yanked the dazed William through the now vacant spot, using the shouting, confused crowd - now running around in a panic in the huge dust cloud created by the falling stall - to work as a distraction as they ran out of the Market.

Within seconds William had come to his senses, and took over leading Abey in the direction of the Inn they were staying at.

"William, we can't go there!" Abey shouted to him over the din of the crowd as they fled, realising where he was heading, "They'll follow us and we'll be trapped inside! We'll never get away!"

"No, they don't know we're staying there, and none of them are following us yet" William replied, casting a glance over his shoulder as they ran, the crowd now thinning as they reached the edge of the Market. "And besides, I have an idea" he said, suddenly sprinting

across the street and diving into the Inn, never letting go of Abey's hand.

"Hello again, my loves. Terrible noise going on out there. Any idea what it could be about-" Posie was shocked to see the usually friendly couple completely blank her as they ran up the stairs. She simply shrugged and carried on serving.

Suddenly, the door crashed open and Posie stared as at least a dozen of the Royal Guard burst into the room.

"What-" She began, but was interrupted by the Captain of the Guard before she could continue.

"We need to know where they are. We know you're hiding them, we saw them enter this building not two minutes ago." The Captain's voice was harsh and business-like, and his eyes as hard as steel as they glared at the frightened and confused looking woman stood frozen behind the bar.

"Wh-what?" She stammered, unsure what was going on, "Wh-Who do you mean? Hiding who?"

"His Royal Highness Prince William, Crown Prince of Angrokor, and a slave that needs to learn her proper place" He answered coolly.

"Well, I don't know about that!" Posie scoffed, regaining some of her composure, "I've never had anyone as exciting as Royalty even step into my Inn, let alone hide here. And as for slaves, I don't agree with that whole business, nasty business, I think I'd know if the Prince and a slave were hiding in my Inn," She was rambling, but the Captain's continued steely glare was making her nervous.

"All I have staying under my roof is Mr Potts, a couple of travellers from Tracoria, and that lovely young couple..." She trailed off, and the Captain smiled as he saw her eyes widen with sudden realisation.