Chapter Twenty-Four (Epilogue)

"Rosie! Come back here!" The Queen laughed as she ran after the little girl.

"Have to catch me first!" She called back, sticking her tongue out over her shoulder, before leaping into a bush.

The Queen laughed again and slowed down, pretending to let out a large sigh.

"Oh where on earth could she have gone? She's just disappeared!" She said loudly, looking around confused, holding back a smile as she heard a small giggle coming from the bush next to her.

"Well I know she won't be hiding in this bush." She said deliberately, strolling casually around to the other side of it, before reaching in and grabbing her daughter, pulling her out and tickling her furiously.

It had been four years since Abey was crowned Queen, and she was finally beginning to feel she was living up to the title. It hadn't been easy at first. Although most of the Kingdom had accepted her with open arms, there were still the few that disagreed with her place on the throne. There had been rumours of an uprising and revolt, though it turned out these had only been started by a bitter Georgiana.

As soon as William took the throne, he immediately started working on his plans for change concerning slaves and the way they were treated. Abey couldn't help feeling her love for him grow every time she watched him arguing for their rights, and already they could see slowly changing opinions on the subject.

He had asked Sabina to come to the Palace and act as his advisor, and even made her one of the highest members of his council, and gave her the title of Lady Sabina. He was also surprised to see Lord Campell come to aid with the campaign, and he had proven very useful in finding which Traders they needed to target. He was never allowed near Abey, however - even after apologising - not that she would want to, and the few times they had seen each other usually consisted of polite nods to each other.

"Come on, Auntie Georgiana will be wondering where you've got to." Abey said, carrying her daughter back through the gardens of the Palace.

Although Lady Georgiana had remained mostly as she was, cruel and malicious to those underneath her, Abey could see her beginning to mature, becoming less volatile and less likely to cause a drama.

She also happened to adore the young Princess, and shocked everyone with the soft and caring side of her character that showed whenever she was with the little girl. It was this joint love of Rosie that brought Georgiana and Abey together, if only briefly, and they had started to build a fragile friendship over the past year or so.

Abey smiled as Rosie buried her face into her shoulder, clutching a curl of her hair.

"What's the matter, Rosie?" She asked softly.

"Tired now." Came the muffled reply.

Abey chuckled and held her tighter, kissing the top of her black curls. She walked back to the Rose Garden where Georgiana was still sat, only now joined by William, the two of them seemed to be locked in a heated debate.

'Some things never change.' She smiled to herself as she approached them, the pair only noticing her as she cleared her throat to get their attention.

Immediately, both their faces broke into huge grins as Georgiana watched the little girl sleeping contentedly in Abey's arms.

"You found her then?" William chuckled as he stood and took Rosie from her arms. "Where was she hiding this time?"

"In a bush." Abey grinned, reaching up to quickly kiss him. "We'd better get her inside while we know where she is." She joked, taking William's hand and sending a smile to Georgiana, who returned it weakly and gave them a polite nod.

The three continued to walk through the gardens, people stopping to bow politely at them, something Abey was still getting used to, she spent her spare time either with Rosie and William or still in the kitchens as she did while still a slave, and found it bizarre the ways people would address and speak to her.

That evening she stood on the balcony of their chambers, looking out at the starry skies, just as she had done so many times before. She smiled as she felt warm arms circle her waist as William rested his chin on her shoulder.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked after a pause.

"Nothing, just...about everything." She replied simply. "I'm going to check on Rosie again in a minute." She added quickly, twisting her head to look at him.

"Abey, she'll be fine. You checked on her five minutes ago, and she's only across the hall." He chuckled, kissing her cheek as she sighed and turned back to look out at the sky.

"Are you happy?" She asked suddenly with a frown, a thought springing into her head.

"Of course I am. I've never been happier." He smiled back. "Are you happy?" He asked worriedly.

Abey thought for a moment, thinking about the past four years, all the struggles they had overcome together. She thought back to her life in the castle when she had first arrived, and everything she had been through. She thought back to her childhood, and her life before William. She remembered all the times she had sat alone in the dark, knowing that she would never be truly happy, not while she could remember it all.

Then she smiled.

'I was wrong.' She thought happily.

"Yes. I am." She replied softly, turning to face William and kissing him gently.

"I love you." He whispered, holding her tighter and resting his forehead against hers.

"I love you too." She whispered back.

Knowing that it would always be true.