Chapter Twenty-Three

"I can't do it, William. I just can't!" Abey cried, sighing and crossing her arms.

"It can't be that hard." William chuckled, lounging on their bed and watching her.

Abey didn't reply but narrowed her eyes at him, making him laugh as he stood up and walked over to her, taking her hands in his.

"Come on, try again." He smiled at her as Abey sighed resignedly. She took a tiny step forward and immediately tripped on the hem of her long dress, the heeled shoes she was wearing making her twist her ankle uncomfortably as she fell forward, William catching her in her awkward position.

"See! I told you I can't!" Abey said through gritted teeth as William righted her back to standing.

The Queen had decided she had seen enough of Abey's poor wardrobe, and had ordered her to wear clothes more fitting to her new status. She was wearing a long velvet dress that went all the way to the floor, pooling slightly at her feet, the heavy material opposite to the light work-clothes and rags she had spent her life in.

It made her feel weighed down and she couldn't figure out how to move in it without tripping over it. The shoes didn't help either, even the modest heel enough to make her feel like she was teetering atop two very unstable pillars, and she was sure he ankle would break if she twisted it one more time.

"You're getting bett-" William laughed before she cut across him.

"Not just this, all of it! I can't do any of it!" She exclaimed, taking a step towards the bed to sit down, only to trip again and fall ungracefully on to the mattress, sighing in frustration.

"What do you mean, 'all of it'?" William asked, sitting down next to her as she sat up, concern in his voice now he saw she was close to tears.

"You know what I mean." She said quietly, hanging her head.

"No, I don't." He smiled, brushing her hair behind her ear. "I think you can do anything you put your mind to."

"Not this." She sighed sadly. "I'm terrible."

"You're not terrible." William sighed with a smile, putting his arm around her as she lent her head against his shoulder.

"Yes, I am!" She retorted. "Everyone keeps telling me all these things I have to know and remember, and in all the meetings I don't even understand half the things people are saying - I only found out there were other Kingdoms a few weeks ago, and now I'm supposed to know all about them and rule one of them - I have no idea what I'm doing, it all just flies over my head and all I can do is sit and nod while all the time I'm screaming in my head!" She rushed out, sitting up as she became more agitated.

"It's fine to feel that way, I feel like that most of the time." He reasoned, trying to put a comforting hand on her shoulder, but she was already off on another rant, it seemed once the floodgates of her emotions were opened she couldn't hold them back.

"But that's only part of it!" She cried in desperation. "I don't know how to act like you! The Queen keeps telling about all the events I'll have to attend, all these balls and things where usually I'm in the background serving people. I don't know how to talk to nobility or how to act around them without bowing on the floor and calling them 'Sir' or 'Madam', I don't know what's rude or any etiquette."

She suddenly jumped to her feet and started wobbly pacing in front of him.

"I don't know what to say or what to wear," She spluttered as she almost tripped again and regained her balance, continuing her speech as she ripped her shoes off her feet and flung them across the floor. "I can barely stand as is it in these monstrous things, let alone walk around looking like a graceful Queen, and don't even get me started on dancing-"

William stood up and placed his hands on her shoulders, stopping her monologue as she started to take deep breaths, trying to calm down again. He looked at her for a moment before pulling her close, feeling her wrap her arms around his waist and sigh against his chest.

"Feel better after that?" He chuckled lightly, knowing she just needed to let her thoughts out.

"No." She murmured with a sniff.

"Well, I've already told you that it's okay be overwhelmed by everything people are telling you. I feel the same, it's impossible not too, it's a very overwhelming situation." He comforted her, stroking her hair. "As for the rest, you don't want to talk to any of the nobility, believe me, they're all boring, stuffy poodles anyway." He joked, feeling Abey smile against him.

"And you'll be fine at balls because you can simply come and hide with me." He said brightly, happy to hear a small laugh coming from Abey's lips.

"You can wear whatever you want as far as I'm concerned, wear a potato sack if you want!" He grinned, leaning Abey away from him as she laughed again, "You'll be beautiful no matter what." He said sincerely, wiping the stray tears from her cheeks, making her blush and look down.

"And as for dancing," He continued with his famous mischievous grin, "We know you can do that already."

Abey squealed in shock as William suddenly started to wheel her around, spinning her around the room, making her dress swirl around her as he slowed down, Abey gripping his shoulder with hand as she looked to the floor to steady herself, still dizzy.

"You know, you're meant to look at your partner when you dance with them." He said softly, lifting her chin up with his finger.

Abey smiled at the familiar words before pulling a face at him, making him laugh.

"I think you're going to just fine." William said, sincerity and pride obvious in his voice.

Abey let out a deep breath and looked straight back into William's piercing eyes, the same ones that had met hers that first day at the Palace, that had looked at her as no-one else had, that had seen her as a person and not just as a piece of property. The same ones that had watched her grow and change, that had searched for her and found her. The same ones that always made her know he loved her, no matter what.

'As long as he's still here, I think he may be right.'

........................................

The sounds of the people inside talking and rustling amongst themselves were almost deafening as she stood before the huge wooden doors she had bowed before so many times.

She swallowed nervously, smiling slightly as he took her hand and gave it a comforting squeeze.

"You're alright. You'll be just fine." He said softly to her. She didn't reply except to give a small nod, not looking at him but staring forward at the doors, obviously visualising what lay beyond them.

He squeezed her hand again. He could tell how nervous she was, he had been watching all day as she moved and cleared things about, unable to sit still or focus.

He couldn't deny he felt the same himself. His hands were shaking and he felt uncontrollably hot. He wished his Father could be there to offer some final words of wisdom, but knew it was impossible.

He felt her tighten her grip on his hand and take a deep breath as the doors began to slowly swing open.

The silence swirled around them almost like mist as they walked slowly towards the line of thrones ahead of them. He could see the concentration on her face as she tried not to trip over her long skirt, smiling to see her sandal-clad foot kicking the material out in front of her, her eyes fixed on the people ahead.

The Dowager stood beside the stately man, both smiling proudly at them. The Lady Georgiana stood next to the Dowager, and she almost laughed to see the girl roll her eyes as they took the final few steps, kneeling down before the stately man, just as they had rehearsed a thousand times.

She closed her eyes and took deep steadying breaths, not paying any attention to the droning words now echoing around the crowded hall. She didn't know how long she had been there, but jolted slightly as the heavy, metal weight was placed on her head.

She felt a tug on her hand, and slowly stood up, keeping her eyes closed as she turned around, snapping them open to look at the crowd as the droning words suddenly became crystal clear, echoing and bouncing off the walls for all to hear.

"May I present, King William Alexander James the Second and Queen Abey, rulers of Angrokor."