Chapter 4: Bad Boy and His Not So Bad Side

Emily hasn't been in for two days. Duke keeps bringing in her get well gift hoping she'll be in. I keep offering to bring it to her but but he keeps saying that I might take it for myself. I swear, Duke annoys the living daylight out of me and I don't really know him that well. I'm just getting myself prepared for whatever he has coming so that I can get my diary back.
It's seventh period. One more period to go and then I get to go home to my painting. We're in English class and Ms. Riley has our test ready to give back. "Alright class, let me take attendance and then I'll give your test back." She took out her book and opened it up to her class. She was a young lady in her late twenties, like Mr. Wheeler. She has shoulder length blonde hair with loose, beachy waves. She has a soft, olive skin face and blue eyes. She's another one of my favorite teachers, along with Mr. Wheeler and Mrs. Nelson the art teacher.
"Do you guys have football, today?" I asked Duke. We were in the same seating arrangement as trig class and every other class.
"No, not today," Duke answered. "You guys got lacrosse today?" Duke asked. He was chewing gum. I could smell the strong mint. Ms. Riley doesn't appreciate students chewing in her class. Nicky and I thought that we would keep our mouths shut and see what happens to him.
"Nope, no practice for us either," Nicky answered. We turned back around to see Ms. Riley getting ready to call us up for our papers.
"Alrighty then. Overall, there were few excellent grades, some fair, and mostly bad," she began. She walked to her podium and began calling the students out. "Lucy, Chris, Leo..." I wasn't nervous. I knew I aced this test. And I know I did better than Duke. "Val," she called my name. I walked up to her. She smiled at me and handed my paper. "Excellent job, Val. You and another student were the only two that got a hundred!"
"Really? Thanks!" I wonder who the other student was that got the hundred. I looked at my paper to see the number one hundred written big. I showed my paper to Nicky and she high fived me.
"Duke," Ms. Riley called him up. "Good work! First test with me and you were the other student who got the hundred!" What? Duke? He was the one that got the other hundred?
"Thank you, Ms. Riley," Duke said still chewing his gum. Ms. Riley's smile went to a bit of a lined smile.
"Oh, Duke," she began. Here it comes! "I don't know if you recall my classroom policy but I do not allow gum chewing in my class. Please spit it out."
"Okay, no problem." Duke walked back to his seat and took out a tissue. He pretended to spit it out and threw the tissue out. Despicable behavior towards a teacher. Nicky got a ninety-eight, Drake got a ninety-nine, Alex got a ninety-five, and Matt got a ninety-three.
After Ms. Riley finished handing out the test, she pulled up a power point that was titled Romeo and Juliet. "Okay, so the next book on our list is Romeo and Juliet. Duke, do you know anything about the book? And if you do, do you mind explaining it?" She asked. This should be good. He's going to sound funny while chewing the gum and talking.
"Yes I do," he began. I looked at her face. She narrowed her eyes but didn't say anything. "Romeo and Juliet is bout two lovers who aren't allowed to see each other because-"
"Duke, I believe I told you to take your gum out," Ms. Riley said growing impatient. "I'm not one to give detentions so if I were you, spit it out."
"Oh come on. What's the harm in having minty fresh breath?" Duke asked still chewing his gum.
Ms. Riley walked over to her desk to write something on a blue piece of paper. "You get detention." She handed him the paper. Duke took it with a small laugh. Alex started snickering. Nicky and I turned to him and gave him a look to stop. "Okay Alex, you can go to detention with Duke," Ms. Riley said as she wrote another slip up.
"Oh man, that's not good," Alex said whining.
"It's you and me, pal," Duke said leaning his head against the window. Matt and Drake shook their heads in disbelief. Nicky and I looked at each other and shrugged. We continued the lesson until it was time for lab. Last period.
Nicky, Matt, and I walked into lab together to see Duke having a make out session with one of the cheerleaders, Madison O'Neill. I hated her with a burning passion. I think I hate her more than Duke and that's saying something. We were starring at them until Duke turned around to us. "Enjoying the show guys?"
"Oh yeah!" Matt said with excitement. He did a wolf whistle. "Keep going! This is getting go-ow!" Nicky elbowed him and I gave him a 'really?' look. "What?" We shook our head and headed for our table. Drake was sitting there already. "Hey, Drake!" We all said.
"Hey guys! You enjoying the 'Duke and Madison' show?" Drake asked jokingly.
"I was until these two interrupted it for me," Matt said grabbing our heads.
"Get you hand off of me before I cut it off," I said through gritted teeth. He let go immediately and we took our seats. Alex walked in. He sits with Duke. When he got to the table he stopped. "Uh...Duke? You're like eating her face off." Duke waved his hand. Alex looked at us with a confused face and we shrugged at him. He shook his head and took a seat next to Fiona Lopez, one of Madison's friends. He started flirting with her. Wow, those two or really annoying. I guess they're irresistible to the girls.
Mr. Thompson walked in with a bucket of frogs. Today we get to dissect them. Nicky and I are excited unlike some of the other girls who are getting squeamish just for the attention. "Good afternoon guys and gals," Mr. Thompson greeted. He's a laid back teacher so he's not a problem really. "Please go get your googles and gloves on and then bring your trays over here so I can-Mr. Duke! Do you mind? Please, you can kiss Madison later, just not in here."
"Sorry, sir," Duke said a little woozy. It's like Madison has venom in her saliva or something. We did as Mr. Thompson said. We took our frogs back to our table and sat down. Nicky was my partner and well the other two dingbats were partners like normally. As Mr. Thompson was giving out the rest of the frogs Madison and Duke went back to kissing for a bit.
I looked at Nicky with a 'I don't know anymore' face. "Well at least these two are-" I was about to compliment Matt and Drake on how they were being normal until I saw them torturing the dead frog. Matt held the frogs two tiny hands with his own fingers. He was making him do a dance while Drake hummed the song, "Everybody Dance Now". Nicky and I looked at them hopelessly.
Drake stopped singing. Matt looked at me and put a big smile on his face. "Hello, Val! My name is Mr. Frog!" Matt said in an high-pitch Elmo voice. His voice was on point. Nicky and I started laughing a bit.
"Okay, Matt, before you get yourself into trouble," I said still giggling a bit.
"Who's Matt?" Matt asked talking as Mr. Frog. "I'm Mr. Frog. What's Mr. Thompson going to do if he sees a frog dancing?"
"Mr. Thompson is going to send you and Matt to detention," Mr. Thompson said in third person. The four, well five including the frog, of us looked up at Mr. Thompson.
"Uh oh," Matt said in the Elmo voice. "Sorry Mister," Matt began still talking in the Elmo voice. He cleared his throat so that he was talking in his normal voice. "Sorry Mr. Thompson."
Mr. Thompson sighed with a smile and then laughed a bit. "Stay young kid," he began. Matt looked worried but then smiled at him and nodded. Mr. Thompson turned to see Duke still making out. "Duke! Cut it out!" he said quickly. Duke turned around like he just woke up. He had a lipstick stain on his next. "Oh boy. Alright class we are going to be dissecting today. First person to scream, squeals, or jump out of their seat is going to the vice principal's office." The vice principal is Mrs. Gardner. She scary. That's all I'm going to say for now.
Everyone nodded as to what he said. All of the girls were making disgusted looks at the frogs. "Alright, class. Read through the packet to learn how to open up the frog," Mr. Thompson said. We did as what the paper said: cut across shoulder-to-shoulder and all the way chin down. After a while of cutting the exterior we started cutting the inside and yanking out all of the organs. Nicky and I looked over to see that Matt and Drake ripped the brain out. I was stunned. We looked over at Duke and Alex to see them working nicely. Until Alex thought it was funny to poke the frogs butt whole. That's an attractive sight. All of the girls were trying to hold in their squeals.
We cleaned up the trays and threw the frogs away once last period bell went off. Mr. Thompson made the boys stay late. He made them clean up everyone's station and then added fifteen minutes to Duke's and Alex's detention. He then gave Matt and Drake fifteen minutes of detention. "Well, at least we get a break from those four," Nicky started the conversation as we got to our lockers.
"Yeah, they may seem horrible but they can be funny at times," I said laughing as I closed my lockers.
"They're funny when they get in trouble," Nicky said laughing. I agree. I do feel a little bad though. I realized that Duke doesn't have a ride home. Nicky actually drove herself to school today since her parents aren't using the car today.
"Hey, Nic, I know you're gonna think this is strange of me but I think I'm going to wait for Duke since he doesn't have a ride home. His grandpa took him to school today," I said. I continued walking but then stopped to turn around to see Nicky stopped 3ft away from me.
"Do you need the doctors because you just said you are going to offer that idiot who gets in trouble and stole your diary a ride home. Am I going crazy or are you being real?" Nicky asked. She walked towards me with a small smile. Today she had on maroon colored pants, converse, and a black Soul Eater shirt on. I had on black skinny jeans, a white tank with a galaxy fairy tail symbol, and a blue flannel with converse. I love my flannels.
"Sorry, Nicky. I'm being honest," I said holding her shoulder with a smile.
"Alright, have fun with him. See you tomorrow," Nicky said giving me the peace sign. I waved and waited in my car for him.
Matt and Drake came out and asked why I was still here. I told them and offered them a ride but they had a car and we're leaving already. Alex and Duke finally came out. Alex said bye. Before Duke could walk to the bus stop I caught him. "Duke!" I called out. He stopped and looked at me. He then walked over.
"Wassup, chica?" Duke asked as he walked over.
I'm already regretting asking him. "You want a ride home? Or are you too cool?" I asked.
Duke smirked at me. "Is this just your way of wanting to be around me?"
"No. Now do you want a ride or not?" I asked growing impatient. He opened the door and sat down.
"Sure!" He buckled his seat belt. I pulled out of the parking lot and turned on the radio. Billy Joel's Uptown Girl came on. I started quietly singing to it. "Wow, you don't sound like a dying rat like I thought you would," Duke said trying to sound nice.
"Wow, that really touches the heart," I said jokingly. He chimed in on the song. We started singing together and I didn't realize it. We pulled into the driveway and ended our small concert in the car.
"Thanks for the ride, chica," Duke said as he closed the door.
"No problem! See ya later moron," I said leaving.
"See ya around, loser," Duke said.
"Awe look at the relationship we're building," I said sarcastically. He laughed and rolled his eyes and went inside. He's not so bad. What am I saying. He's a bad boy. But what's this weird feeling? Val, you are not going to fall in love! Not with him!
"Gramma, Gramps! I'm home!" I said as I entered. I looked at the clock to see it read 3:15pm. I walked behind the counter to give Gramma a kiss.
"Hey, sweetheart! Why are you home so late?" she asked taking my bag for me. She brought me out some lemonade and a chocolate covered pretzel with M&M's. My favorite!
"Duke got detention today. So I thought I would wait for him and give him a ride home since he didn't have the car with him," I explained. "I got homework done while I waited for him so that's a win!" I took a sip of my lemonade and then took a bite of my pretzel.
"Awe, look at you being nice today! That's my girl!" Gramma said giving me a pat on the back. "Gramps is out so he won't be home for a while if you're looking for him." Gramma wiped down the counter. Another customer came and Gramma made herself presentable for him.
"Okay! Thanks! Do you need me to do anything?" I asked. I took out my test paper to show Gramma when she was done with her customer.
"No, I think I'm fine. Oh let me see!" Gramma said asking for my test. I showed it to her with a big toothy grin. "Good job! Another hundred!" She high fived me. My grandparents and I have the best relationship every. "You can go upstairs to your room and relax. I have everything covered. I call up if I need you."
I nodded and ran upstairs with my bag with me. I threw my bag on my chair and plopped down on my bed so that I was facing my ceiling. Today wasn't so bad. But Duke is a trouble maker. I don't want to be caught around him when he's causing trouble. But, hopefully, maybe we can form some sort of relationship as friends. The other three morons seem cool. Just hopefully...