Chapter 8: Work and Official Prom Invites

It was a bright sunny Saturday. As of now, I was running in the park with Dexter. I normally take him out for a run to get him into shape and myself into shape. Especially if I'm going to try to fit myself into a dress for homecoming. Thing is, I don't know why I try hard to get into shape. When I was younger, doctors almost diagnosed me as anorexic. I had the same problem like Duke's sister, Kerry, were one thing fills her for the whole day. Gramma and Gramps got me to eat a lot now. They're saying I'm still too thin. But, it's still good to get exercise at least.
As I run I spot the football team running together. Duke and Drake are leading the pack. They said that Saturday's are normally their cardio workout day. We had practice yesterday to prepare ourselves for our lacrosse game we were suppose to have today. It got canceled because there was some shooting going on around that area and the authorities didn't want to be responsible for us getting hurt. Typical public schools. I'm surprise my school hasn't had a problem like that in a while.
I stop running and stop near a bench. I look to see Alex and Matt catching up with Duke and Drake. The rest of the team splits up and now it's just the four of them. All four of their paces are amazing. They're so fast. I should convince them to join the track team. Our track team only have three excellent runners who are boys but, we could use more. I stop staring at them to see Dexter barking. He's barking towards the boys and starts running towards them. Being the light weight feather I am, I'm pulled along with Dexter. "Hold up, Dexter!" Dexter runs right to them and they stop running.
Duke, Drake, Alex, and Matt stop running when Dexter starts jumping on them. "Hey, Dex," Duke greets petting him.
"Hey, Val!" They say in unison.
"Hi..." I reply with a small wave. "Cardio day?" I asked.
"Yup!" Matt answered with a sigh at the end.
"Coach has us running three miles today," Duke said sounding really exhausted.
"Well," Drake began. "It would've been one and a half but we lost our game yesterday so he's punishing us with an extra mile and a half." Clayton High's football team had a game yesterday against our biggest rivals. I wanted to go but I got stuck working in the bakery with Gramps since Gramma had the doctors and didn't get home really late.
"He was real mad at us," Alex said scratching the back of his neck.
"Awe, well hopefully you win the homecoming game!" I said trying to sound positive.
"Yeah, hopefully!" Duke said with a big grin. His smile is actually a little adorable. Stop it right now, Valentina!
Before they continued running they stopped to look at me again. "Val, your grandparents own the bakery right? Just you guys working?" Matt asked curious.
"Us and Nicky comes by to work. Why do you ask?" I asked. Why would they care? It's not like they're going to ask to work or something. Right? I think all of hell would break loose if those four morons worked in the bakery. The kitchen would go on fire, somebody would chop their fingers off, plates breaking. It would be mayhem!
"Well, you see," Alex began not knowing how to really ask.
"We need a job and we we're sort of hoping you needed some more hands to help around the bakery," Duke continued for Alex. I knew it.
"Alex and I know how to bake," Drake said. I looked at Alex to see him nodding.
"Duke and I can put stuff away in the storage room that's too heavy for your grandparents to move," Matt said.
"Well, that's probably the only thing Matt and I can do since we can't bake for our lives," Duke confessed sounding a little embarrassed.
I thought about it. Would it really be that bad to have them work with us? Gramps is normally doing repairs while Gramma is working the register. I'm normally the one left to do all of the baking so it would be good to have Drake and Alex help. Nicky comes by so that makes it easier. And then if Duke and Matt can help move boxes that would save me a lot of back pain! "I'll talk to Gramps and Gramma and see what they think. I'm sure they'll want your help!"
"Sweet!" Matt said nodding his head.
"Thanks a lot!" Duke said. They turned around and continue their run.
Hopefully having them work with us won't be as bad. I'm just going to need to keep an eye out on them all the time. I turn around and continue my run back to my car with Dexter. It was 11:00 am by the time Dexter and I got back to the bakery. "I'm back!" I shouted as I entered the kitchen.
Gramma walked back from the oven holding a freshly baked cake in her hands. "Hi, sweetie! How was your run with Dex?" Gramma asked walking back to the counter.
I took Dexter off his leash to let him roam around. I followed Gramma outside to the customers. "It was good! We ran into Duke, Drake, Alex, and Matt," I said trying to bring up the topic about them wanting to work.
"Oh, alright! Sounds interesting! What are they up to?" Gramma asked trying to get more information out of me.
"They lost their game yesterday to our biggest rivals so their coach is making them run a lot today," I answered.
Gramma put the cake on a platter for the customers to see. "Awe, that's too bad," Gramma said feeling bad for them. "And that's the only team they ever lose to!" It's true. I don't know how Gramma knows this but it's true. Our football team beats everyone else but our rivals, St. John's High School. The Cougars.
"Yeah..." I was ready to ask her about the boys working. "So speaking of the boys, when I ran into them they had a question for you and Gramps," I began the conversation with.
"Alright and what is that question?" Gramma asked needing more detail.
Here goes nothing. "They wanted to know if they could work here and help us out," I answered. Gramma looked a little taken back. "Drake and Alex said that they're good at baking and Duke and Matt said that they can move all of the heavy boxes to the storage room for us." I paused to look for a reaction from her. Nothing. "I thought it would be a good idea. I'm normally working in the kitchen by myself while you are working the counter and Gramps is fixing stuff. And with Duke and Matt putting stuff away for us, we can save us some back pain!" I said trying to sound positive.
Gramma thought for a second. For some reason I'm feeling antsy about her decision. "It's not a bad idea," Gramma agreed with me. She turned around and smiled. I smiled back. "Can they start tomorrow at 10:00 in the morning?" Gramma asked.
"I'm going to text them right now!" I said. I left the bakery to go upstairs to my room. I showered off and changed into some clean clothing so that I wasn't sweaty and stinky anymore. I turned my phone on and put them into a group chat: Can u guys start work tmw @10:00am? I sent the message and waited for a reply. They all got back right away:
Matt: That's too early for me...but yeah I can come in to work *thumbs up emoji*
Drake: Any time is too early for you, Matt *laughing emoji* I'll be there!
Alex: I might be there at 10:15 bc I have to go do something. But I'll be there.
Matt: Not every time is too early for me, Drake!
Duke: I'll be there right on time!
Drake: Oh yeah, what time's are not too early for ya?
Matt: Listen! I need my beauty sleep!
Me: Will the 2 of u cut it out?
Drake: Okay
Matt: Yup!
    Why the hell am I friends with these people? I walk over to my windowsill to sit on my bench. I thought my room needed something else. So I got a white bench with a cushion to sit on. I sat down and looked outside the window. Not being a creep but I sort of looked in to Duke's room. Duke was smooching up a storm with Mary Ryan. That damn f-boy. I close my curtains so I don't need to see the show they're putting on. It's typical of him to bring over a lot of girls. I roll my eyes and dial Nicky's number. I thought I would tell her about the four morons coming tomorrow to work.
    "Hello?" Nicky picks up.
    "Hey, Nic! I gotta tell you something," I said biting my lip.
    "Am I gonna like this?" Nicky asked already regretting picking up the phone.
    "Probably not," I answered. I heard her sigh. It took me about fifteen minutes to explain to her what was happening since she kept moaning. She wasn't thrilled about the idea but she said as long as it makes my grandparent's lives easier, it's fine. Hopefully, she's right and it will make my grandparent's lives easier than it already is.
    It was Sunday morning. Nicky and I were working the counter today while Gramma got everything in the kitchen set up. I was leaning against the counter while Nicky put her elbow on the outer and held her head in hand. She blew a piece of hair out of her face. "Where are they? They're late for work already?" Nicky asked.
    I looked at my phone to see what time it is. "It's only 10:03, dude. Relax," I said smiling. I straightened myself up.
    "Yeah, I know. But, Duke lives five feet away. He should be here already," Nicky said defending her question.
    "That is true. But, Duke texted me and said he was waiting for Matt and Drake," I said defending Duke. Did I actually just defend a boy that I hate with a burning passion? Get yourself together, Val.
    "What about Alex?" Nicky asked noticing that I didn't include him with Matt and Drake. "Is he not coming?"
    "He's running late. He had to go do something," I answered. She rolled her eyes and stood up. Maybe today will be the day when he asks Nicky out to junior prom.
     "Sorry that we're late!" Duke said running into the bakery with Matt and Drake. "These two decided to wake up late and get to my house late."
     "Hey! Like I said in the message: it's too early for me and I need my beauty sleep!" Matt said defending himself. Drake rolled his eyes. Is he really going to bring that up again?
     "Alright, let's relax," I said trying to prevent any fights. "I'm going to go get Gramma." I ran into the kitchen to see her patting flour off her dress. "Gramma, Duke, Drake, and Matt are here," I said.
     Gramma looked up me with a smile. "Oh, good!" Gramma straightened herself up and tucked her brown hair behind her ear. She flattened her dress out and walked out of the kitchen with me following behind. "Hello, boys! How are you guys today?"
    "Good!" the three of them said in unison. I rolled my eyes and stood next to Nicky.
    "Umm, I thought there was suppose to be one more," Gramma said noticing Alex wasn't here yet. "Is your friend okay?"
    "Alex will be here soon," Nicky answered. "He had to run an errand or something." Nicky crossed her arms and leaned on her right leg.
    "Oh okay, well how about I get you guys working!" Gramma said excitedly. "Which one said they can bake?"
    "That would be me and-" Drake began but then got interrupted.
    "I'm here! I'm here! Sorry I was late!" Alex said running into the bakery in a slight jog. "Hi! I'm Alex! Sorry for not coming on time," Alex said rubbing the back of his neck.
    "It's alright! As long as you are here!" Gramma said not really minding him being late. Gramma is a very patient woman. As long as we get the job done, she's a happy camper.
    "Alex is the other one that can bake," Drake finished his sentence. Alex smiled big as Drake recognized him.
    "Alright and I believe you two can move the boxes and put stuff away?" Gramma asked looking as Duke and Matt,
    Matt and Duke nodded in unison. "Whatever you need done, we can move around for you," Duke said. He is really strong. Actually all four of them are. I guess they have to work out a lot in football. I've played the sport but only in the street with my cousins and Nicky. I'm not NFL player. At least that's what I think they're called. This is why I just stick with running track and playing lacrosse.
    "Excellent! Valentina and Nicky, you guys can work the counter as of now but I would like you guys to help the boys with whatever they're are doing," Gramma ordered us.
    "Okay," we both said moaning. Gramma smiled and went upstairs to see what Gramps was doing. "Okay, Duke and Matt, Nicky's going to show you what you guys need to move. Alex and Drake, come with me to the kitchen so I can show you what your making," I said. I feel like the boss now.
    "Right!" the four of them said in unison.
    "Come on you two. I don't got all day," Nicky said already growing impatient. She made them follow her to the storage room to get the boxes. I was now left with Drake and Alex.
    "Okay, you two. This way to the kitchen!" I said. I walked into the kitchen with the two of them following behind. We entered the kitchen and I got the list of pastries they needed to make. "Okay, this is the list of pastries that you need to bake." I handed Drake the list of pastries. "I already took out all of the ingredients that you are going to need," I said pointing to the counter of ingredients and bowls. "Are you sure you two know how to bake?" I'm a little worried they lied and that they might blow up the kitchen or something.
    "My grandma baked a lot for charities so I normally helped her out," Alex admitted. Wow, I don't think I would expect Alex to do a good thing.
    "Awe, look at Alex being generous more than ever," Drake said making fun of him. Drake grabbed Alex's cheek to pinch it like what a grandmother would do. "Are you Grandma's boy?"
    "Ah! Cut it out," Alex said removing Drake's hand. Drake and I laughed while Alex pouted.
    "Okay, Drake, you said you can bake. Experience?" I asked wanting to make sure this moron could bake, too.
    "Yup! Before I moved here my parents actually owned a bakery back in Florida," Drake said. "So, there was a lot of learning on how to bake!"
    "Cool!" Wow, who would've known that Drake actually didn't live here all his life. "Well, it seems like you guys know what to do. I'll be in the kitchen if you need anything," I said waving as I left the kitchen. Right when I got to the counter I heard a metal bowl crash to the floor. Everyone in the bakery, including me, flinched at the sound. I peered my head around the doorway to see the two of them still standing there startled from the sound. "Sorry, it fell when I was looking for a smaller bowl," Alex explained.
    "Uh huh. Try not to break anything, please!" I pleaded. The both of them nodded and got back to work. I went back to the counter to take somebody's order. After doing the order I remembered Nicky, Duke, and Matt were together. I wonder what they're up to.
    "Move those boxes! You can carry them! Move it!" I heard Nicky shouting as she left the storage room with the boys. Matt and Duke were carrying at least three boxes on top of each other with Nicky following behind the barking orders at them. "Don't stop! Head to the kitchen!" That's Nicky for you. She likes to yell...a lot.
    "Jesus Christ, woman! Take a chill pill!" Matt complained. Nicky stepped on her tippy toes and flicked him in the head. Matt flinched and turned around in annoyance. "Ow! What was that for?"
"You're not working hard enough. Stop talking!" Nicky demanded.
Matt was about to say something but Duke stopped him. "Calm down, dude," Duke said. "You wanted to work. Now get moving."
"Thank you, Duke!" Nicky said. "At least someone understands what work is! Now get moving!" Nicky ordered towards Matt. Matt rolled his eyes and groaned and walked into the kitchen.
Duke followed behind Matt laughing. Duke stopped and looked at me. "Thanks again, loser, for getting me this job," Duke said with a smile.
"No problem, moron," I said smiling back. Duke laughed and continued on his way to the kitchen.
Nicky straightened out her Sword Art Online shirt and laughed. "You guys are you cute!' Nicky joked. I rolled my eyes and went back to the counter with her following. "I wonder how the Drake and Alex are doing."
I sniffed the air to smell something actually pretty good. "They must be doing a good job. It smells great in there!" I said taking in another whiff of pastries.
"Val!" I heard my name called. I turned my attention to see Drake and Alex running out with a big grin on their faces. Drake held a tray of little coconut pastries with a cherry on top of them. "We made these!" Drake said moving the tray closer to us.
"Okay what did you do?" Nicky asked not trusting them. "Knowing you two, you guys probably put something toxic or poisonous to kill us all."
I laughed. "Actually, these two know how to bake. Alex baked with his grandmother and Drake actually had a family bakery back in Florida," I explained.
Nicky crossed her arms. "Still don't trust them."
"Try them then," Alex said. He grabbed two of the pastries and shoved them in our mouth.
Nicky swatted at him. "Hey don't-hey, these aren't that bad," Nicky said still chewing her snack.
I continued eating mine. "Yeah! These are really good!" I complimented. "I don't think we've sold these in a long time. Were they even on the list?" I asked. I don't remember Gramma writing these on the list.
"Nope!" Drake answered. "It was Alex's idea."
"My grandma made these all the time for the other nurses at the hospital she worked at. Everyone loved them!" Alex said energetically. "So what do you think? Maybe you can sell them again?"
"These are really good, dude! Maybe for now we can have them as a sampler," I suggested. I took the tray and put it on a counter. I went to the back and grabbed a decent looking plate to put them on. I walked back and placed all of the pastries on them. I then took a piece of paper and a marker and wrote: Coconut Pastries! Samplers!                             
"Good idea, kid!" Nicky said examining it from the front of the counter.
"Queen Nicky. What do you want us doing now?" Duke asked joking around with her. Matt snickered at his sarcasm.
"The two of you are on thin ice with me," Nicky said with an icy glare. Drake, Alex, and I backed away from her.
Duke and Matt backed away. "Sorry," the two of them apologized scared.
Nicky sighed. "Val, what should the do?"
I looked at the clock to see what time it was. Already 1:00 pm. "I guess we can clean up." I turned my attention to see some people grabbing the pastries. One little girl tried to reach it but couldn't. I smiled and grabbed the plate to bring closer to her. "Here, you want one?" I asked smiling.
Her face lit up and she grabbed one. She popped one in her mouth and smiled. "Yummy!" She turned around and skipped back to her mom.
"Guess these are going to be a seller again!" I said happy. I sniffed the air to smell smoke. "Drake, did you turn the oven off?"
Drake and Alex looked at each other. There eyes went wide. "Crap! The oven!" They ran into the kitchen and then stopped. "AH!"
I grabbed the fire extinguisher with Duke, Matt, and Nicky following. The oven was on fire. Matt grabbed a broom and started whacking the fire. The broom caught on fire and he yelled. "That wasn't suppose to happen!" I aimed the extinguisher at Matt and sprayed him first and then sprayed the oven. I think I over did it though. The place was white and so were the boys. "I think the fire's out."
"Sorry," I said looking a little guilty.
"I guess we're cleaning up now," Duke said. It took us about half an hour to clean up everything. We each took turns working at the register during those thirty minutes. The place looked spotless that Gramma and Gramps wouldn't know what happened. We left the kitchen to step into the bakery to see the customers enjoying themselves. "Thanks you guys for helping us out today!"
"No problem! Thanks for getting us this job, again," Duke said smiling.
Gramma and Gramps walked down with a tray of sandwiches and a pitcher of ice tea. "Good work today guys! We thought we would make you guys lunch," Gramps said smiling. "Let's set you guys up outside." We followed them outside to the outside eating area of the bakery. There were few people outside.
Nicky and I were about to sit down. "Wait!" Alex said. The four morons ran to his car to grab something. They came back with Duke, Matt, and Drake holding something behind their backs. Alex stood in front of them straight and tall. "Nicky!" He began with. Awe! It's happening!
"Yeah," she asked a little nervous as to what was happening.
"I know we recently began to get a little closer as we met Val. I just wanted to say that I think you're really awesome!" Alex began his speech.
Nicky blushed a little and smiled. "So what are you asking?"
Matt handed Alex the flowers to give to Nicky. "Nicky, will you go to junior prom with me, please?" Alex asked holding out the flowers to her.
Nicky looked stunned. "You're joking," she said not knowing to believe him. We all shook our head.
"He's telling the truth, dude," I said. "He asked me if you wanted to go."
Nicky took the flowers and was still blushing. Alex looked nervous as to what her response was going to be. He looked a little shaky. Nicky smiled at him. "Sure! Why not!" The two of them hugged and everybody 'awed'. Nicky laughed a little bit. "But, why me out of all of the girls in the school?"
"I don't know. You're just not like the other girls. And I like girls that are different and don't try too hard," Alex said putting his hands in his pockets.
"Well, I'll go!" Nicky said. She looked at me. "Did you get invited?"
"That's where I step in," Duke said stepping up. "I wasn't too formal with my first invite. But, Valentina, I've known you for a couple of weeks and you're still pretty annoying and a loser," Duke joked. I smiled and rolled my eyes. "Although we have had our differences, I really think you're cool and wanted to know if you would like to be my date to junior prom." Drake handed Duke a bouquet of flowers.
Duke handed them to me. I felt my face burning a little from blushing too much. I chuckled and took them. "Wow, I can't believe a moron like you was able to work up the courage to ask me again!" I said giggling. "But, yes! I would love to go!" Duke smiled and we hugged. He smelt really good. Creeper alert: Valentina Cruz is being creepy. Well sorry. Everyone 'awed' again. I blushed and giggled a bit.
"So, what are we going to wear?" Nicky asked. Last time Nicky and I were something formal was to our semi-formal prom and our eight grade graduation breakfast. I've never been one to wear dresses.
"Don't you worry!" Gramma said with a cheerful smile. "My friend Vivian is excellent at designing dresses. I'll call her up and set up an appointment for you two!" Gramma seemed really happy and excited as if it was her own prom. I can't wait for this! i never thought this day would come. I'm just worried that maybe Duke has something planned up his sleeve. I don't know if I should trust him full on yet. As of now I really have no choice. Guess I'll have to see what awaits me.