Chapter 18: Music and Matt

I woke up from a pounding head ache to find myself not in my bed. Wait? This isn't my bed. Did that pedophile, from last night, kidnap me? No, I wasn't kidnapped. I started laughing like a hyena. "That was a crazy ass dream!" I said still laughing like a moron. "I had this dream that it was Halloween and I went to the Halloween dance with Duke, Drake, Nicky, Matt, and Alex and I saw Duke kissing Madison and then I ran out of the building to get caught by a crazy man who almost raped me but then Duke came and saved me and brought me back to his house and then he gave me his clothing and then he found out I was afraid of lighting and then we watching Black Butler and then I fell asleep!" I said still laughing after I finished my run-on sentence.
"Nope, that wasn't a dream," I heard a familiar voice say. I stopped laughing and examined the room.
I looked around and turned my head towards the doorway to see Duke leaning on the doorframe shirtless in his gray sweatpants with a toothbrush in his mouth. He still had bed hair but damn did he look good. I mentally slapped myself. Val! Sorry... "Wah!" I fell off the bed and on my butt. "Ow..." I whined. I stood up rubbing my ass. I looked down to see that I was wearing an oversized hoodie and black Adidas track pants. I shot my head up at Duke. "What did you do to me last night?" I said pointing a finger at him.
He smirked at me and winked. "We had a little fun last night, chica. You seemed to enjoy it the most," Duke said still smirking.
My face heated up. No, we didn't. Right? Gah he's a jackass. "Duke!" I yelled as I threw a pillow at him. He dodged it and ran out of the room. I tightened the string of the track pants so that they don't fall as I chase him. I ran out of the room to see him coming out of the bathroom. He stood at the door grinning. "You're dead, Taylor," I said as I walked towards him.
He laughed at me and ran right pass me. "Yeah, if you can catch me," Duke said as he ran down the stairs.
"Moron!" I shouted as I ran down the stairs after him. We ran through the house basically playing tag. He ran a corner and I ran into the room. He wasn't in here. "Are you seriously hiding from me, Duke?" I asked with a bit of attitude in my voice. He can talk a big game but he can't play it. I was standing in the living room. I turned my attention to hear a door closing. Sure enough, there was a door over on the other side of the room. I walked over and carefully opened it. I swear if he does anything I'm going to murder him. I took a peek inside the room to see shelves and shelves and shelves full of books. There was a grand piano and a easel for painting. I looked ahead again to see a six pack right in my face. I looked up slowly to see Duke's grinning face. "Uh oh." I started backing up.
"You're not going anywhere," Duke said as he busted through the door. He picked me up and threw me over his shoulder. He began walking swiftly out of the living room with me over his shoulder.
"Duke!" I shouted as I continuously punched his back. I gave up after five punches realizing he probably doesn't feel me hitting him. "Can you put me down?" I begged. He ignored me and we walked into the kitchen. He placed me down on the island that was in the kitchen.
Duke took a step back and bowed down with one hand behind his back. "I did as you requested, my chica," Duke said trying to sound like Prince Charming. More like Prince Lamo. I gave Duke a death stare. "Chica, I didn't do anything to your body. So, you can stop giving me that creepy stare," Duke said as he walked to the fridge. He grabbed two water bottles and walked back to me with them. He gave me one with a fake apologizing face.
"What happened last night after the dance. My head hurts a lot," I complained wincing at every pound in my head. Duke walked over to a cabinet and took a bottle of Advil out. He handed me the two pills. "Thanks," I mumbled as I took them from his warm hand. I swelled them and took a sip of water.
"Your head probably hurts because the creep that took you into the alleyway smashed your head against a brick wall. You kicked the guy right in the balls and we fled after I beat the crap out of him," Duke said explaining to me why my head feels like someone keeps kicking it. "I brought you back to my house and I found out your fear," Duke said smirking.
"So, what?" I asked not caring that he found out my secret. I took another sip of water.
"According to Nicky, if one of us found out your fear you had to kiss us. And because I found out what it is, you have to give me a kiss," Duke said making small fish lips. I let water fall out of my mouth. "Attractive," Duke said watching the water spill from my mouth.
I cleaned my face. "Moron, I would rather kiss a frog than kiss you. Your lips kissed too many whores," I said scrunching my nose and giving him a disgusted look.
He laughed at me. "How about, instead of you giving me the kiss, I'll give you the kiss?" Duke said trying to work out a problem.
"How is that any better?" I asked not understanding what he was saying. My lips are touching his lips. How is that better than not kissing him.
"I will kiss you but you wont know when. So, you wont be hurting my eyes by watching you attempt to kiss me," Duke said insulting me.
I mean I guess it's better than me making the first move. Right? I blew a piece of hair out of my face. "Fine."
Duke smiled at me. I gave him a small smile. "You hungry?" Duke asked.
I nodded my head softly. "Yeah, a little bit," I confessed.
Duke's smile grew bigger. "Great! I'm meeting the guys at the diner around the corner from us for breakfast. See if Nicky wants to come," Duke said leaving the room.
Okay, I think as long as Nicky is there with me I'll be fine. I looked down at myself again to see what I was wearing. I slid off the island and ran to the door. "What about my clothing?" I asked. I caught a bag that had fresh clothing and white converse in them.
"I went to your grandparents today. I told them what happened last night," Duke said in a soft voice. "Just stop by them before we leave so they know you're alright," Duke said as he walked up the stairs. Good, he told them for me.
I got changed into a pair of black, skinny jeans, my pink crew neck sweatshirt that has my favorite K-Pop group's name on it, Seventeen, and my white converse. I brushed my blonde hair and put it into French braid. I ran out of the house and next door to the bakery. It was opened today. I saw Gramma and Gramps at the counter talking to a costumer. "Hey, guys!" I said as I walked over to the counter.
"Valentina!" Gramma said as she walked around the counter to hug me. "Are you alright sweetheart?" Gramma asked me while stroking my head.
I pulled out of the hug and smiled at her. "Im alright, Gramma. Duke saved me!" I said trying to get Gramma to relax.
She smiled and a let a sigh of relief out. Gramps walked over with a box of cookies in his hands. "Maybe you should give this to Duke as a 'thank you'," Gramps said patting my back.
I nodded my head and took the box out of Gramps' hands. "I will. I'm going out to breakfast with the guys and Nic," I said as I walked to the door. "I'll see you guys later!" I ran over to Duke to see him on his motorcycle. "These are for you from my grandparents," I said as I handed him the box.
He took them and smiled. "Sweet, thanks!" Duke tossed me the helmet I had on the other day. "Want to go for another ride?" Duke asked as he reved the engine.
My face lit up with excitement. I got on the motorcycle and wrapped my arms around him. "Sure do!" I said all happy. He drove out of the driveway and we drove to the diner. We walked into the place to see the three morons and Nic talking with each other. "Hey, guys!" I greeted as Duke and I walked over.
The four of them shot their heads at me surprised to see me, but relieved at the same time to see that I was okay. "Val! What happened last night?" Nicky said grabbing my arm as I sat down. Today's anime shirt was a Seraph of the End shirt. It's a sad vampire anime. I explained to them what happened. They were relieved to see that I was alright but kept making jokes about Duke liking me.
As we ate I noticed Matt filling out papers. Alex gave Matt a 'Are you serious? You're doing that while you eat?' face. "What the hell are you filling out?" Alex asked while chewing his bacon. Alex took the paper out of his hands and studied it. "You're applying for this college?" Alex asked.
"What college is it?" Duke asked interested. Drake took the paper out Alex's hand. Nicky looked at the paper with Drake.
I put a piece of waffle in my mouth as I waited for an answer. The expressions they had on their were a mix of shock and 'seriously?'. "You're applying for NYU?" Drake asked like Matt was insane.
"Isn't that a university in New York?" Duke asked taking a bite of toast.
I stared at Duke with a questioning face. "No, Duke. NYU is in New Jersey," I said sarcastically. "Yes it's in New York! That's what NY stands for," I said trying to get through his thick skull.
"Listen, take your sass and put it in your pocket," Duke said making a reference to Free 50% Off. When did he watch that? That's a parody of the anime Free. I looked at Duke like he was insane and then looked at Nicky who gave me a 'I'm sorry! I had to' face.
"Why do you want to go there?" Nicky asked.
Matt grabbed his papers from Drake and Nicky and put them in front of him. "They have a really good art program there. I want to go there for music," Matt explained.
"Music? What do you play?" I asked him being curious.
"Matt is amazing at playing violin and piano," Alex said. "He use to write songs for the plays that went on up at school." Ah, so Matt composes music.
"Problem is," Matt started. "I need to compose two songs. One with one solo and one with an accompanist," Matt finished. "I'm planning on playing the violin but I need someone to play piano for me," Matt said.
Nicky threw her fork and knife on the plate and slammed her hands on the table. She stood up grinning. "Val can help you!" She said. Drake tied pushing Nicky down because we were getting looks from the waiters and other customers.
"I can?" I asked confused.
"She can?" Duke asked confused.
Nicky looked at me with a grin an then at the guys. "Val plays violin, guitar, and piano!" Nic said emphasizing on the word 'and'. Yep, Gramma taught me how to play the piano. Gramps taught me how to play the guitar. I went for lessons to play violin. "Val, can be your accompanist and play piano for you!" Nicky said with life in her eyes.
"What is this?" I asked. "An episode of Your Lie in April?" I asked Nicky. Your Lie in April is of course another anime. This one is about a guy named Kousei who use to play piano but he stopped because his mother abused him when ever he messed up playing. So he became tone-deaf. When he gets older his friend Watari gets a girlfriend named Kaori and Kousei's friends, Watari and Tsubaki, want him to go with them to watch Kaori play violin. So for her next performance she needs an accompanist to play piano and Kousei keeps on refusing. But, he agrees and they form a beautiful relationship. Kaori gets sick and she dies sadly. Nicky and I cried for an hour.
"You have to, Val!" Nicky begged as she shook me.
"Can you?" Matt asked interrupting us. He looked really serious.
I can play piano. I was going to apply for NYU but not for music. I was going to send in some artwork I've been working on. What's the worse that can happen? I sighed. "Fine. I'll help you out, Matt," I said smiling.
Matt's face lit up. "Awesome! Can you come over after breakfast?" Matt asked.
I looked at Duke who smiled at me. "Go ahead. I'm not stopping you," Duke said smiling.
"Do you guys want to come over?" Matt asked the others.
"No thanks!" Duke, Alex, and Drake replied quickly. A little rude don't you think? Matt shrugged his shoulders.
Nicky looked confused. "Why?" She asked.
"We'll explain later," Alex said. Should I be scared or something?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I stepped out of Matt's car to see an apartment in front of me. He locked the car and walked inside. It was a nice building with a fountain outside. We walked into the lobby. It was really fancy. There was a grand piano on one side of the room. There was a chandelier and marbled flooring. "Good morning, Mr. Anderson!" Matt said as he walked to the lobby desk.
Standing there was a sixty year old, well-dressed, man smiling in a suit. He took out some papers and envelopes and handed them to Matt. "Good morning, Matthew!" Mr. Anderson looked over at me. He smiled at me and then looked at Matt. "Another girlfriend of yours, Matthew?" Mr. Anderson asked sighing at Matt.
Another girlfriend? How many girls does Matt have over. I smiled at Matt with death in my eyes. Matt looked at me and waved his hands frantically. "No, no, no, you got it all wrong!" Matt said laughing awkwardly. He cleared his throat. "This is Valentina. Shes here to help me with my application for NYU. I need an accompanist for music and I need her to play piano. Shes only a friend. I think my friend Duke and her have something for each other," Matt said laughing.
I kicked Matt in the shin. "You want to say that again?" I asked smiling innocently.
"No," Matt said smiling wearily. We said goodbye to Mr. Anderson and went into the elevator.
"So, you bring a lot of girls over?" I asked sounding like one of those jealous girlfriends. Even though I would never be his girlfriend. He uses really bad pickup lines. He's cool but I would not say he's my type.
Matt shrugged. "Only the dumb and pretty ones," Matt confessed. I raised an eyebrow at him. "But, you're a smart and pretty girl!" Matt said trying to spare his life. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms. We were on the top floor which I'm guessing had all of the nice rooms by the looks of the giant doors. "This way," Matt said signaling for me to follow him left down the hall. We stopped at the end of the hallway and I waited for Matt to open the door. "Welcome to my apartment," Matt said as he held the door open for me.
As I stepped in I was already amazed at the place. The walls were white with a dark, wood flooring. To the left of me was an entrance to the kitchen which had an island with four step stools. In front of me was the living room. You had to walk down these two stairs to enter it. It had white couches and a flat screen television with bookshelves on either sides. There was a piano there too. They had a balcony where you can see the beach. You could see Matt's cousin, Brody's, surf shop. On the upper level from the living room was a glass dining room table with white leather chairs around it. To the left was a guest bedroom with two twin beds, a master bedroom, and a bathroom. And two the right must have been Matt's room that had a bathroom also. Damn this place was so cool! "Awesome place dude!" I said as I took another step in.
"Wait, Val," Matt said. I turned around to see him taking off his shoes. "My step-mom is Japanese. She makes our guest take off their shoes," Matt said.
"Oh, sorry," I said realizing my shoes were still on. I took my sneakers off and placed my shoes next to Matt's. I sat on one of the stools right by the island.
"Dad! I'm home!" Matt shouted as he walked to the fridge. "Do you want a water?" Matt asked as he opened the fridge. I nodded and I got my water.
"Mashūn wa, watashi wa ie no naka de saken ni tsuite anata ni nani o oshiete kureta nodesu ka?" (Matthew, what did I tell you about yelling in the house?) a female voice said as she walked into the kitchen. It was Matt's step-mom. She was a short Japanese woman with long, black, curled hair and sharp facial features. She was wearing black slacks and a white, button down shirt.
"Sorry, Kotori," Matt said apologizing to his step-mom. Wow, he doesn't need to call her mom? Guess she's not that strict. She had the same name as Kotori from and anime called Love Live School Idol Festival. Except, the Kotori in the show was a sixteen year old girl who was sweet and kind. This Kotori right in front of me doesn't seem sweet or kind. If she speaks Japanese I may be able to understand what shes saying since Nicky taught me. I surprisingly knew what she said to Matt.
Kotori turned her attention towards me. She wasn't a smiley woman thats for sure. I got off the stool and stood with Matt right next to me. "Hi, I'm Valentina Cruz. I'm one of Matt's friends," I said holding out a hand to shake it.
She shook my hand. Her hand was really tiny compared to mine. "What are you doing here?" Kotori asked.
"Val's, going to help me with my music application to NYU," Matt answered for me. Thank god he did. Talking to this woman is making me really nervous.
"Watashi wa, mashū anata o motomete imashita ka?" (Was I asking you, Matthew?) Kotori shot back immediately.
Matt sighed. "No, sorry." We stood there looking at each other. "Where's dad?" Matt asked breaking the silence.
"He'll be home soon. He ran out to the store," Kotori said. And with that she walked away.
Matt turned to me. "I'll be right back. I'm going to grab my violin equipment and my video camera," Matt said. "You can try out the piano," he said walking away.
I walked down the two stairs to the piano which was right by the balcony sliding door. I ran my fingers over the cover of the piano. I pulled the seat out to sit on it and I opened the piano up. I placed my fingers on the keys. I guess I should give it a test run. I began playing Sonata in B minor. It was a hard classical music piece. I didn't trip on any of the keys. It was actually easy going for me. I played for a while until I heard Matt clapping. I looked up to see his face in awe. "Sorry, I was just testing it out," I said as I stood up from my seat.
Matt's face was still in shock. "Dude, you need to put down music on your application! That was fricken amazing!" Matt said amazed by my piano skills. Maybe I should.
We set up the camera to record him. Matt first did his violin solo which was Locatelli's Caprice in D major Op. 3 No. 23 'Il labiri. He played the violin with no trouble. It looked so easy to him. As our duet we played Mozart Minuet Symphony No.39 arr Ernst. We sounded great together. This was my first time playing a duet and we sounded really good. When we were done Matt insisted I at least submit a violin and piano video in for myself. I played a piano solo playing Frederic Chopin Scherzo No. 2 Op. 31. For my duet piece I actually wanted to play the song Kouri and Kousei played in Your Lie in April. I played violin this time. We played Saints Saëns, Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso Op. 28. We sounded amazing. I'm actually happy I agreed to playing with him. I haven't played in a while so it felt good to play again.
"That was awesome!" I said as I sat down on the couch. Matt was downloading the videos onto his computer to send in to NYU. "I've never felt so good playing like that!'
"I have to admit, I was a little worried that the only song you knew was Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. But, you surprised me Cruz," Matt said. Was that suppose to be a compliment or an insult?
"Uh, thanks," I said. We sat there for a moment in silence. Erm, what should I say. "Your step-mom seems nice," I said breaking the silence. That's the best you got, Cruz? Sorry, I needed to say something.
"You don't need to lie," Matt said laughing a bit.
"Huh?" I don't need to lie? What does that mean? I mean, yeah she's a little strict.
"Why do you think the guys said no to my invite immediately?" Matt asked. Oh. "They're terrified of Kotori. I don't know what my dad saw in her that could replace my mom," Matt said as he closed his laptop. "What happened to your biological mother?" I asked. I know it's not my business but I'm just curious. He seems to hate Kotori. Was his biological mom better.
Matt looked at me and opened his computer up again. He pulled up a picture of a woman with shoulder length brown hair and blue eyes like Matt. She looks exactly like him. She seems like a very happy lady. In her arms is a toddler who's smiling at the camera. I'm going to take a wild guess on this one but I think it's Matt. Hint the sarcasm?
"That's my mom. She was everything a mother should be," Matt said as he stared at the picture. "My mom died when I was ten. She died from amyotrophic lateral sclerosis." That was the disease most people think Kouri from Your Lie in April died from. "My mom was a doctor at the hospital my dad worked at. That's how they met. My dad said that when she worked there she was hard working, kind and patient to her patients, a problem solver. My mom cared for me." I feel really bad for asking. I looked at Matt. He was just smiling at the picture. He didn't show any signs of sadness. Odd? "My dad met Kotori when I was thirteen. She moved from here from Japan to work at the hospital my dad worked at. They worked together and my dad said he felt a connection. Kotori acts kind to me when my dad' s around but when he's gone, she yells at me."
He was still smiling. "I'm sorry, Matt. I feel bad for bringing up the topic," I said feeling guilty.
Matt closed the laptop and turned his attention towards me. He was grinning. "Nah, it's cool. I know about your family so you should at least know about mine," Matt said. We sat there smiling at each other. "Do you miss your parents a lot?" Matt asked me.
I nodded. "Yeah, I still think about them. They were my best friends. I still remember some moments I had with them. They were everything to me," I said. It's good to know someone who's going through the same pain as you. You understand what caused them to be them today. "Just give Kotori a chance. Maybe she'll change if you talk to her," I suggested.
Matt shook his head. "She doesn't listen to me. So there's no point in trying to negotiate with her." I looked at my phone to see what time it was. We both got up and went for our shoes. "Although she'll never replace my mom's shoes, I still have one. And you have you grandparents to fill you parent's shoes, right?" Matt asked.
I nodded and smiled. We walked out of the apartment. "Yep, my grandparents are amazing. As long as I have them and you guys in my life, I'm happy!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Matt pulled up in front of the bakery and parked. "Thanks again for helping me with the application for NYU!" Matt said giving me a fist bump.
I stared at his fist for a moment. I replied to him with a fist bump. "Anytime, moron," I said as I got out of the car.
"Hi, Val!" I heard a little girls voice called. Kerry and Duke we on their porch watching us.
I waved back to Kerry. "Hey, Kerry! Hi, Duke!" I said seeing Duke staring at me.
"Sup, chica!" Duke replied. I waved goodbye to Matt and watched him drive off. I walked over to the Taylor's house and walked up the stairs to their porch. "Why don't you go help Nana clean up, Kerry?" Duke suggested to his little sister.
"Okay! Bye, Val!" Kerry said as she ran inside and closed the door.
Duke sat down in a rocking chair that was on the porch and pointed to another one across from him. "Sit," he said. I did as he said. "You want a beer?" Duke asked as he took a Budlight out.
I shook my head and scrunched my nose. "No, thanks," I said refusing the offer.
"Why? Have you never had one?" Duke asked as he opened the can.
I shrugged. "It's just never appealed to me to have a beer," I said. I always see the morons drinking beer. I mean, I guess it's better than smoking at their age. Duke took a sip and handed the beer can to me. "Well, make this one your first," Duke said still holding the can.
"I can't," I said refusing.
"Sure ya can."
"No, I really can't."
"You only live once!"
"Duke, I don't want one."
"Live and learn, Cruz!" Duke said. Those three words again. I cocked my head to the right and stared at it. I mean it's just a sip right? And he already drank some of it. And I drink a lot of water.
"Fine. Just this once," I said taking the can from him. I stared at it and put the metal to my lips. I took a sip of the beer and boy was it not what I expected. It wasn't great. But, it wasn't bad.
"So, did you live?" Duke asked smirking.
"Yep, and I learned," I said smiling. Today, I learned that Matt isn't awful. We're sort of the same. He's still a moron. But, Duke tops them all in being a moron. But, that's what makes my life interesting.