Chapter 3

Eventually I became thirsty and soon my thirst overpowered my hunger. I licked my dry cracked lips. I needed to distract myself so I started to whistle.

No more than a minute had passed until Jim reacted. And boy did he ever react. He stood in front of me, so close I could smell his breath. It was rotten and smelled faintly like whiskey. Jim raised his hand and I already knew what was going to happen.

I looked to the left, then to the right frantically. Trying to find someone that would stop him. Of course there was no one there. His outstretched hand slapped across my face and my cheek lit up in pain. I looked down biting my tongue trying to hold back the words that were bubbling in my mouth.

"That'll show you to be quiet." snarled Jim. Suddenly I felt his hand clasp around the top of my skull. He pulled my head upwards so his fierce brown eyes were staring straight into mine. "Look me in the eyes when I speak to you!" he yelled. I sucked in my mouth and spat.

It hit him right between the eyes on the bridge of his nose.  He took a step back shocked. He slowly wiped the spit off, his brows furrowing in anger. Suddenly his fists came upon me and pain blazed throughout my body. Soon I felt blood crawling down my face. The taste of mercury was soon fresh in my mouth.
All the while, I clenched my teeth.

Eventually the blows subsided and he walked back to the corner of the truck. "You will learn to respect me." he said gently as if I were a naive child. For the rest of the ride I sat in silence.