Chapter 6

Ecinton had opened the metal door that we needed to go through in order to exit Sosthene's room. With his arm around my shoulders he led me through it and down the same halls that we had gone down before.

We stopped every time before we switched directions, just as we had on the way to Sosthene's room. The whole journey was in silence and was exactly as it had been on the way to Sosthene's room only it was in reverse.

We were finally putting some distance from ourselves and Sosthene's room, which was a great relief. I hoped that I would not have to see that man again but my gut told me that would most likely not be the case.

He and I would meet again and I would dread that time. For now though, I would enjoy not being in his presence. Every step I took away from his room was one step closer to freedom. Not that I was free in this place, not that I ever would be.

During the entire walk back I was counting my steps and for this reason, I knew when we were at the crossroad before I was even ordered to stop.
Which was good because that meant my step count was accurate.

I stopped at the crossroad but instantly thought harder on the situation. I could not give away the fact that I knew the way to Sosthene's room and if I stopped Ecinton might be suspicious.

His suspicion could then turn into realization and then I would not have the upper hand anymore. I quickly made up my mind and kept walking, hoping Ecinton had not noticed or cared that I had briefly stopped.

After I took a few more steps, he ordered me to halt and I did so obediently, still hoping he had not noticed. My blindfold came off and I stared into Ecinton's face. It looked normal enough but then again how would I know what normal was. The fact was I would not, so I just had to hope.

I heard footsteps and instantly snapped my head towards the source of the sound. In the crossroad was a group of men who quickly passed beside us, following the route to Sosthene's room.

One of the men must have been the new guard for Sosthene's room and another one of them must have been the HH man. I had no idea who the HH man was and was curious to what HH stood for, if it even meant anything at all.

My only knowledge about the HH man at that point was based on the way E-Tag had shivered when the man's name had been brought up. E-Tag's odd reaction is what made me believe that this man was very dangerous.

However only way to find out the truth would be to meet him which I definitely did not want to do. Instead I decided I would get more intel on him and the first step of this plan was actually seeing him.

I knew he was in the group so I gave everyone in the group a once over. After examining the group closely, I instantly saw the HH man.

He was a huge, well built man that made Ansel look small who was wearing a full suit of (most likely bullet proof) armour. Although he appeared to be huge, there was no way of telling how big this man actually was. His white coloured armour covered every part of him and depending on how thick the armour was, the HH man may not have been nearly as big as he appeared to be when first glanced upon.

This fact still did not make him any less intimidating. Every part of him was dismaying, even his head which was covered with a helmet that was a mix between an eerie gas mask and a bloody knight's helmet.

The HH man walked with confidence, probably knowing that he was intimidating and showing it off. I had only seen a handful of people in this complex so far but the HH man appeared to be the second scariest person I had seen.

Sosthene was definitely the scariest, even if I had not ever actually seen him. Just Sosthene's voice and the words that came out of him was enough to frighten a person. Our conversation had surely put a shiver down my back and chilled my bones.