Chapter 7

I decided that I would get a glimpse of my new room and meet my cellmate. When I turned around the latter of my wishes came true.

I found myself staring into my new cellmate's hazel eyes. I jolted backwards right away hitting the cell's bars, the memories of grabbing hands fresh in my memory.

The man I now faced had one of his hands running through his disheveled blonde hair and the other one was stroking his long jawline. Something looked odd about him. He was flaring his nostrils and on further inspection his eyes looked red. I suddenly got uncomfortable and raised my fists in defence.

Then I heard him talk and I shivered, feeling like a mouse trapped in a cat's cage. He looked me in the eyes cackling, "The bigger they are the longer they burn."

He ran back and forth across the cell dancing like a mid grown chimpanzee. While he paced back and forth he muttered, "Eat em medium or well done? Medium? Or well done?"

Before I had time to answer he spoke again, "What goes first the arm or the leg? Whatcha think Frankie?" Responding with a different voice he said, "Ay Tommie we take his arm, it can be used as a good back scratcher." All the while saliva ran down his chin.

His voice sounded odd but not very natural. He grabbed my arm and I pulled back. Sweat started to run down my forehead. I finally responded, "Don't you know what I'm in here for?"

Frankie or Tommie answered,"Eh, criminals taste the best, too bad my last cellmate was a little burnt." At those words I freaked out.

I ran to the other corner of the room and zipped up to the top of the bunk bed. Raising my fists again, I defiantly yelled, "I'll bash your head in and eat your rotten brains."

At that very moment I figured the only way to survive a lunatic was to be one. The man shouted back, "Well, I hope you get eaten by a cat and then that cat gets eaten by Satan."

I screamed "Sorry what did you say? I don't speak idiot." I looked at my cellmate anticipating his response.

He looked me in the eyes and doubled over laughing. Wow this man sure was mad. He looked back up at me and I was shocked.

He looked different, his nostrils had ceased flaring, he was standing properly and even his eyes were twinkling.

Then he spoke with a totally different voice than he had before, "You would say that to a mad man, you are the crazy one, y-" he could not finish his sentence because he was incapable of containing his laughter.

Something seemed odd about my inmate when he was chuckling. It was a different kind of laugh, a normal one. Then it clicked. "You aren't crazy, you were just tricking me." I said pointing accusingly at him with my arm.

"You betcha. I was going to do it for longer too, but then you said your cheesy comeback and I could not stop from laughing." he responded. I looked him over again from a new perspective.

Now I was convinced that he was either sane or he was very crazy and was trying to lower my guard.  The latter seemed very unlikely. He reached out one of his hands to me. I climbed down the bunk bed and shook it. Our hands shook and I noticed that he had a firm reliable grip.

While we were shaking hands he casually said, "I'm Yoko Danigir Hellochewa Dunsagoroo the third. It's a pretty long name, I mean you should have seen the judge's face when he read that. Most people usually don't use my real name. Most call me Goway or at least that's what they say when they see me. My friends though call me Wynton."

At that moment my body felt lighter, calmer knowing for sure that this man was good. "Nice to meet you Wynton" I greeted him then continued, "my n- " He cut me off sternly saying,"I said my friends call me Wynton." I looked him in the eyes and we both broke down laughing. This man was a carefree, always joking kind of guy. I was glad that he was my cellmate since I would need someone like him to cheer me up in this place.