1- Dawson

Her eyes were a green blue like the ocean. Her hair was the colour of wheat fields in the summer. She was beautiful, and she didn't even see it. But I did. I saw the way her eyes danced when she was happy and how even though her heart had been broken, she was so strong.

It was a chilly day when we got on the bus on our way to a cadet competition. I had seen her around before, but I hadn't felt anything until now, a pang of jealousy when Andrew and James poked her and flirted with her.

She was laughing and I thought she was beautiful, even though her smile wasn't directed at me.
I had to at least talk to her. I jumped seats and felt my face turn red when her, and her best friend, looked up at me expectantly.

'Uh, hi.'

I almost whispered. I had to be more confident, what was I doing? They were going to think I was weird and go back to Andrew and James. She smirked at me and said, 'My name's Maddy, and this is Katy. Now how about you tell us your name?'
I blushed even harder and gulped as I said

'Dawson, my name's Dawson.'

Maddy grinned at me and looked at Katy, who nodded at her. She jumped benches and sat beside me. The rest of the bus ride was spent singing and me watching her face contort with all kinds of beautiful, funny faces as she conversed with everyone.

She wasn't shy at all, and I thought it was great.

Arriving at the activity, she wasn't paying much attention to me, as her eyes grew wide at the sight of the beautiful forest area that we'd get to explore in just a few minutes.
Map and compass. Not my favourite, but I'm glad I went. The competition started and I watched her run off in one direction towards a point as I went the other way.

Lots of hard running and getting confused with my map later, we had crossed paths again. I felt butterflies as she winked at me and ran off.
I finished and got back to the start before her, and hoped that both her and Katy would made it back safely. They did.

The day passed quickly, and before I knew it, we were on the bus going home. Much to my surprise, this time, Maddy and Katy paid virtually no attention to the other boys, as Maddy sat beside me and Katy right behind us. Talking and laughing and smiling, and I loved it. Katy finally sat down and slipped on her headphones so I had Maddy all to myself, kind of.

After some silence, I watched as she put her hand on my knee and asked if I was nervous, grinning. I smirked and gave her a wink as I said 'I don't get nervous.' My smirk grew a little as I watched her pull her hand away slowly, blushing.

As her face became a natural colour once again, I watched once again as she put her hand on my knee, except this time, she started tracing words. My tired eyes tried to focus on what she was writing. I made out the letters

"I T-H-I-N-K I M-I-G-H-T H-A-V-E A C-R-U-S-H O-N Y-O-U"

My heart fluttered as I looked at her and she put a finger to her lips. Was she being serious? I was excited, so I put my hand on her leg and traced

"M-E T-O-O"

She flashed me a gorgeous smile and I felt my insides melt. This might work out for us. It was getting dark outside the bus, and I yawned, feeling the days activities creeping up on me, making my eyes droop. Not for long though, when I felt her small hand loop around mine, and her head lean on my shoulder as she started to drop off into the world of sleep.

This was perfect. I'd never had something like this before. I'd never felt anything like this before either. It was amazing.

Finally, except too soon, I felt the bus lurch to a stop and knew we were being dropped off. I saw her eyes flutter open and she stretched, making a tiny little noise that was both hilarious and adorable.

She got off the bus, hugging Katy and saying bye to her friends. When she looked at me though, I saw her eyes darken and a smile played at her lips as she said

'Bye Dawson.'

I watched as she walked off, her hair swinging in the wind and her shoulders back. I walked over to my dad's truck, smiling to myself as I replayed today's memories in my head.