Chapter 1: "The Golden Couple"

*Rachel's POV*

I let out a small squeal as a pair of hands are placed over my eyes. As a soft pair of lips meet mine, I smile. The hands are removed, allowing me to see the smirking face of my boyfriend-of-2 years, Jeremy Fuller. We were, what a lot of people would call, the "Golden Couple". Ever since he asked me out on a date last year, we had never had a serious problem in our relationship. Aside from the occasional small fight, we rarely fought. Neither of us were extremely popular, but we were well enough known that most people had at least heard of one of us. Then again, in Princeton, British Columbia, almost everyone had at least heard of each other.

Jeremy pulled his face away and smiled again, leaning against the locker next to mine. I gave him a sidelong smirk and turned back to my locker. As I pulled out my books and closed my locker, he jumped into action and gripped my free hand in his.

"Hey, Rach...?" he started, swinging our hands back and forth as we walked.

"Yeah, what?" I replied, a grin plastered on my face at his childish ways.

"Wanna come over tonight? My parents are both home and they wanna have you over for dinner. Maybe we can watch a movie after or something, as long as you don't pick another one of your chick flicks, you've tortured me with those too many times." Jeremy offered, shoving me a little at the last part.

I swung myself in front of him and pecked his perfect lips, "Sounds perfect." I said softly and jumped away, "But for the record 'The Longest Ride' is still good after the fifth time." and I scampered off to my classroom as the bell rang.

I faintly heard his; "What?! Rachel!" as I ran off, but I quickly tried to look cool and collected as I walked into class a minute late. Walking over to my seat in the third row, I felt my best friend, Elena Chorr's, eyes trained on me as I took my seat next to her. When the teacher started speaking, Elena said, "We really need to teach that boy of yours some sense of time, my dear."

I sent a playful look and an eye roll her way as I tuned into the 19th century History lesson Mr. Thomas was teaching. Unfortunately my concentration was short-lived as I tried to brainstorm ideas for Jeremy's 17th birthday, which was only a mere 2 weeks away. Instead of scribbling down notes about the attack on Pearl Harbour, I had come up with 7 different ideas that, in my opinion, all sucked. I was startled out of my daydream by the bell and quickly packed up my stuff and waited for Elena who wasn't quite as anxious to leave as me. Luckily for her she didn't have to plan a birthday party for her boyfriend-of-6 months, Tyler. His birthday had been a month before they started dating.

Elena finally managed to gather all her stuff together and we left the classroom, waving to Mr. Thomas on our way out.

"Okay, so what did you come up with?" Elena asked as we walked towards her locker.

"What?" I asked.

"For Jeremy's birthday party, duh. I'm not stupid, I know what you were doing and I also know that you are majorly stressing yourself out about it so let's hear your ideas so I can give you my expert advice." she replied, smirking at me with an all-knowing look.

I always wondered why she hadn't gotten a lasting, dedicated boyfriend before Tyler. I mean, she had a lot of things that I didn't have; she was rich, had an amazing runner's body, stunning, silky dark brown hair, gorgeous, milky brown eyes, and a sweet, bubbly personality that made everyone feel happy. I also wondered why she would have picked me as a friend back in grade four. I mean, I was new to the school and nerdy, glasses and a retainer, and had just come from a dark place with my mom and stepdad at the time. It never made sense why she picked me, but I never asked. I figured since she was always a nice, fairly loyal friend, that I didn't need an explanation.