Chapter 3: "A Teenager in Love"

(song above is theme for the slow dance, I will leave an A\N to let you know when the song plays in this chapter)

*Rachel's POV*

Okay, the babysitting thing was a bit of a lie. The truth is, Saturday was the day before Jeremy's birthday and I wanted to throw his birthday party. I sent invites to the whole track team, all of the members of Yearbook Club, which we both worked on, and to some of his friends who went to other schools. Overall, about 100 people were coming, not including people who heard about the party through other people. I had asked the owners of the 50's style diner that Jeremy and I were regulars at if we could use it for his party and they agreed happily. I guess that's what happens when you go there almost every Thursday. They even agreed to let us use the stage, jukebox, and some of the kitchen staff to supply food. Everything was set up perfectly. I had even convinced the dance team to put on a dance performance; complete with poodle skirts.

I was able to talk Jeremy's parents into making sure his car wasn't available for him to drive so I could drive him there. I wasn't going to tell him anything until we got there and he was surprised for himself. I had a list of songs to play, making sure that everything lined up to what was supposed to be happening during the actual party.

Satisfied with my plans, I shut my notebook and placed it on the bedside table. I turned and flicked off the lamp next to my bed. Laying on my back, I looked up at the glow-in-the-dark stars on my ceiling and smiled. Tomorrow was going to be perfect.

************************************************************************************************

"Bye Mrs. and Mr. Vorchelli! Thank you again so much!!" I called to the Vorchelli's, who owned the diner.

I turned and faced my setup crew with a game face, "Alright guys, let's get to work"

I had laid out instructions for each pair of people to read for their task. Chase and Aiden- stage setup, Madison and Ryan- lighting, Elena and I- décor.

Stage setup included making sure everything was in the correct place for the dance team to put on their performance, ensure that the jukebox was set up properly with the correct tracks in order, and assisting to any additional heavy lifting that needed to be done. Madison and Ryan were in charge of setting up the spotlights for the stage, strobe lights for the dance floor, and twinkle lights out back on the patio. Elena and I had the most complex job of putting up all the hanging stars, hanging banners, and displaying collages that I managed to put together of Jeremy with his family and friends over all his 17 years. I hoped it would be perfect.

Unfortunately Chase and Aiden weren't getting the point, "Guys, no! the sheet clearly says to place the swivel chairs 50cm apart from eachother and in front of the counter, not a meter apart behind it!!!" I couldn't take it. They had been goofing off the whole time and when they finally got serious, they did it wrong!!!

They exchanged a quick glance with eachother and went to fix it without a word. This was a clear warning sign, "Guys what's wrong? Is it me? I know I'm being a bit harsh, I'm just under a lot of pressure. I haven't known Jeremy as long as you guys have and I just want to make sure everything is perfect. This is our first time celebrating his birthday together and I just-"

"Rachel, Rachel calm down, okay? We get it, you want it to be exactly how you envisioned it and that's fine. We just think you need to maybe chill out a bit, that's all" Aiden said carefully, glancing at Chase.

"Yeah," Chase followed cautiously, "We're all for helping you out with this but, could we maybe get a little break? We've been working for two hours and haven't even had lunch yet. If you want Aiden and I can go pick up Subway for everyone"